Official: 7 arrested in Sears Tower plot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 22, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

several things i'm dying to know:
    1. did NSA spying net this capture, or was it simply neighbors reporting suspicious activity?
    2. how far along were these plots, exactly?
    3. were the arrests done too soon, or is the FBI back to doing old-style "follow the network" investigations?
    4. padilla is mentioned in the article; will the DoJ blow yet another case?
    5. should the timing of the arrests be regarded as suspicious?
    6. is this even real?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Early stages" probably means that the "plan" to somehow attack Sears Tower probably wasn't written in stone, and the Sears Tower's name was probably thrown around as a potential target.

Either way, this is good news. Too bad it would be impossible to find every single small faction of this size in America.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and jose padilla was in the "early stages" of making a dirty bomb. and what a mess the DoJ made of that case.

if this was a real threat, i'd like to think that the FBI did due diligence on rooting out the entire network, while producing convictable (sp?) evidence, and didn't pull the arrest trigger so soon that it did no one save GOP candidates any good.

that's a lot to hope for, i'm afraid.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The very fact that we have to ask speaks volumes. I wonder why they aren't calling them terrorists though. And I wonder when they'll cut National Security funding to Chicago now that it isn't a target anymore like they did for NY.

5. x86 macrumors regular

x86

CNN *is* calling them terrorists, well, domestic terrorists anyway.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm glad someone is, because if this is as bad as they say it was supposed to be, they were. Just tired of the whole "looting" vs. "finding" thing. Still suspicious of the details.

7. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Wouldn't you rather wait and watch, to collect ample evidence before arresting these people? I'm not saying that they are not guilty, and of course.. its always a good thing to thwart plans like these.. but just.. maybe capture them with a bomb or some sort of weapon in their possession? :confused:

Whats also odd and quite amusing is that these men wore turbans 'which covered their entire face, except for their eyes'. If someone wrapped a turban around their entire face like a mummy, hey I'd report them to the cops! :D

Seriously though, you would think that 'real' terrorists would try to be as inconspicuous as possible and blend in with the regular folks.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Man, home-grown terrorists don't appear to be very smart.

I don't know too much about this yet, so will hold off on further comment.

I will say, however, that it is appropriate that they were in Florida - that state is seriously full of crazies. I am not sure if I should be impressed that the Authorities were able to sift through all the garden-variety lunatics to find these lunatics, or if it was more like shooting fish-in-a-barrel.

As far as I am concerned the GOP can have Florida for as long as they want. Just close the border to the rest of us, perhaps with NG troops.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I watched the interview with one of their members who showed up after
    the raid.

He repeatedly stated that they were not terrorists, but merely a religeous
    organization.

Not sure at all what that means.
    CNN used the term Black Muslim Extremists.

I'm under the impression that they are nothing more than a group of misguided losers who fell for a sting operation.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The feds are scheduled to give a live briefing on all of the details within the hour. Should be interesting...

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Every week I pass by a local Mosque in Sterling VA.

The parking lot is always jammed and they've hired private security guards
    to watch the entrance.

It's easy to understand why they must feel persecuted lately.

Who knows what is being discussed every week regarding the obvious
    attacks on the Islamic faith.

I've been there on business a few times and the last time, they had wall to wall camping supplies for the earthquake victims in Afghanistan.

As far as I could tell, they were doing all they could to help the helpless.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so apparently the info was found out through an undercover FBI agent. now, and this goes for any such agent... put yourself in his shoes for a minute. can you imagine how weird and scary it must be to have to play a role where if you get found out you're probably toast, not to mention you have to get close to people who are planning such hideous acts?

maybe i'm just a wuss. hah

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13497335/

part of article:
    So it does seem they had an agent on the inside. If this is all true, which I don't doubt, then these guys pretty screwed.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Where Islam goes so do the radicals. What are we doing about exteme Islam? anything?

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

To reinforce FFTT's and Onizuka's point, from the AP:

And the Deputy Director of the FBI says the following:

Link.

Which begs the following questions:

To what degree should a citizen be allowed to aspire toward attacking his/her own nation? And how do we differentiate between the aspirational and the operational? Which is policing and which is thought policing? And under what circumstances is revolution permissable?

Really asking ... not trying to produce a "given" answer.

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the more i'm reading of this "plot", the more obvious it is that these clowns were nowhere near operational status, and possibly never would have been.

am i wrong to conclude that the arrests were politically motivated?

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Perhaps not. Maybe this was just a plot by the GOP nazis to get back in good grace with the American public, showing a concerted effort to thwart local attacks...

However, it's not like they were just conversing and voicing opinions, they were actually plotting. Taking photos and videos of Federal buildings, to me, is evidence of an actual plan. Whether or not these morons could pull it off at all is hard to say. The article's tone makes one assume that these guys were unable to get automatic weapons. However, if they did, as well as the volitile fertillizer that was mentioned for producing home-made explosives, it seems to me that they were motivated, however; disfunctional.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe i misread it, but wasn't it the informant who had them do that? (and it was a single building, the local FBI office)

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I think he gave them the video camera to take video, but they took the photos. I could be wrong, but the mere fact these guys were willing to do it shows that they really wanted to be a part of Al-Quaeda.

I know, there's a lot of questions still, and I'm not saying they're guilty or not, but it seems to me that they had every intention. It's like a business with a ****** manager.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from what i've read, if i were the defense lawyer, i would start screaming 'entrapment!'

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Ah, but who contacted whom first? That's the thing.

Lots of details missing. Need more info to process.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

November is just around the corner, Republicans will be selling any and all kinds of fear. Its the only thing they have to run on. Im sure these are just some more thugs looking to make a name. meanwhile Bin Laden is still free.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait a sec... I thought we were fighting the terrorists over THERE so we didn't have to fight them HERE. What happened??

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i know you're being facetious, but i think it's worth mentioning that the adminstration continues to make several mistaken assumptions:
    1. terrorism can be defeated by killing those who practice it
    2. terrorists come from defined regions
    3. it's possible to defeat an ideology from the outside