Official Apple iPad case..does it stay flat after folding on itself a lot?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MrMister111, Jun 11, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Jan 28, 2009

Hopefully going to buy an iPad soon (UK). Also maybe after a case, although it will be based at home. Was looking at the official Apple case.

I've read somewhere that its a decent case, but when you keep folding it back on itself to allow the iPad to stand up and allow for typing, afterwards when you close it shut the front flap doesnt shut properly and keeps opening. - is this the case?

Also is it easy to get the iPad in and out of the case, as when at home I think it'll be better "naked"

Also if I put an invisible shield on the iPad will it still fit in the case?

either this or maybe thinking of the Griffen sleeve case, just for protection?

2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2007
    Liverpool, UK
    Hey, I have a semi similar setup. Then you fold the apple case the first few times, it may not fold back completely flat, but it should be ok.

The case allows the iPad to be arranged a bit more comfortably.

Getting the iPad in and out of the case is a bit tight, but its doable, just a bit slow.

I have a skinizi skin on the back and cheap ebay screen protector and it still fits in the apple case just fine.

WIth the other cases I can't say, but the apple case seems to tick all the boxes for me.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    SW London, UK
    It's easy once you get the hang of it, it takes about 10 seconds each to put it on/off so it's not too bad!
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2007
    It won't lay completely flat, but very close after a while. However, dust and such can still float in. I like the Apple case a lot for ordinary use, but I wish it did close completely for travel.

I'm getting a Dodo case because I want the elastic band that keeps the case shut completely. If I were still using my Apple case I might invest in a big rubber band.
  5. macrumors regular

May 22, 2010
    The Apple case is functional, but it is not perfect, not even close. I have no problem with the material it self, I think it is a plus but a few things lets it down.

It is THIN, the iPad in it still is very thin
    It is grippy, i am not worry about slippage
    It is distrete, being black and when closed
    It is functional

It gets dirty easily and dirt lingers, you can't just wipe it off either
    Dusts gets in it easily
    The edges is horrible, i wish it is round and does not have that lip
    the rear flip sticks out once you used it a few times
    It won't shut completely flat after a while.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2009
    Wash, DC Metro
    I have no problem with the front flap laying flat if you bend it in the opposite direction for a few seconds or so.

I think it is great for what it is but I would prefer a leather version.
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2009

Front flap is strong enough to protect the screen
    The edge lip can absorb any light impact against a door or corner wall

Rear side and back is unprotected from light drops
    The stand is not wide enough making it wobbly
    The flap gets in the way when using the accelerometer like playing games