Official Apple Store Tiger Event Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, this thread is for people who are going to be at the store tonight to post what's going on for the rest of us who aren't there.

If you're in line outside the store, post here as well.

If you can use a camera and post a pic, that'd be great!

And if someone could find out if the iMacs, iBooks, Mac Minis and Power Books are coming preinstalled with Tiger that would cool.

Only post here if you're at the store OR if you have a question you'd like answered by someone at a store

Thanks,

D

2. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

I am at the tysons corner store in Virginia... Not much going on at the moment. Gutted though, my iBook refuses to boot up now!

Am actually typing on a dual 2.7 with 2.5 gig or ram with the 30" display with Tiger!

WOO!

3. Deggy macrumors member

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So is there a line for the Tiger Event outside the store yet? And is there any indication that they will be having a 10% off on new computer bought tonigh?

D

5. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Holy long line! I kinda want to drive down to an Apple store now.

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I'm at the Victoria Gardens store. Its 1:41pm here... And the store isn't busy at all. I've been here since 7am. Lots of fun. The employees have said that they would just toss in a Tiger DVD with any system purchased after 6pm. Anything before that has to go through the mail in program.

7. fedora macrumors member

london was good, I was sixth in line and used my discount card which made tiger a bit cheaper. very busy though.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There was no queue in London until after 4.30pm. I suspect this is because most of this who ended up in the queue then had spent the time inside the store playing with Tiger since it was already installed on their Macs.

After 4.30, the line grew rapidly and made it all the way around the corner down towards the square. Lots of attention garnered from the general public!Like the grand opening, all the staff gathered around the entrance and up the staircase and applauded everyone coming in. Boxes of Tiger were displayed all over the store! Two girls at the door handed each person a scratchcard as they walked in.

The lines for buying Tiger were enormous (thankfully, I was number 8!) in the store - zig zagging across the back of the store where the cash registers were 3 times and all the way back to the front of the store again. The line upstairs wasn't a lot shorter!

There was no standard 10% off unless you got that on your scratchcard.

9. t^3 macrumors regular

I've already got Tiger, but I want to know what the door prizes are, if any. AppleInsider mentioned something about t-shirts being shipped to the stores.

10. fedora macrumors member

Wow you must have been just behind me i the line!

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, that's too bad - so what were some of the other things on the scratch and win card?

Was every card a winner, though?

D

12. Deggy macrumors member

I got 10% off, the girl in front got an iPod the one behind an iTunes tack

13. t^3 macrumors regular

See http://images.apple.com/retail/events/tiger/prize_discount_exhibit.pdf for a complete list of prizes and odds. It's weird how they list a PowerBook 15", but it's retail value is $1499, which is the price of the low end PowerBook 12".

14. jestershinra macrumors regular

So are they having a 10% off promotion, like last time?

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

16. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I'm not whinging, but I was disappointed with the launch in London. No blanket 10% off, no t-shirts, no dog tags, just a crummy scratch card. Yeah, so I won a PowerBook, but come on guys it all seemed a bit stingy!

Anyway, loving Tiger so far, hope you are too.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thanks for the list. Now I have to get there (Woodfield) early enough to get a scratch-off.

18. t^3 macrumors regular

No, it just looks like not all stores are having the same distribution or same number of prizes. If a store isn't listed, there's a list for "all other stores" at the very end.

Edit: ie. North Michigan Ave in Chicago will have 5500 scratch-its, while a smaller store that's not on the list will have 1000 scratch-its.

19. magid macrumors 6502

magid

At the store in Roosevelt field on long island. Theres about 100 people here now and the employees just started to walk around and talk to us. Hopefully we get some of those scratch cards soon :)

20. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

im_electronic from the MacAddict forums is here at Victoria Gardens. He'll be streaming a live webcam with his B&W G4 Powermac (upgraded) using some battery backups. Heres a pic of his setup... He seems to be having trouble, though.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Image update.

21. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

In line

I'm in line infont of the store at the Galleria in Buffalo, about 50-75 people in line at this point. I will try to take some pictures when i get up to the front and when i'm in the store.

22. t^3 macrumors regular

It looks like every card will be a winner, mostly either an iTMS code or 10% discount. Odds of getting which one will vary from store to store. There will also be a handful of assorted products (PowerBook [1], iPod photo 30GB [2 or 4], iPod mini 6GB [2 or 4], iPod shuffle 1GB [8 or 10], iSight [2 or 4], AirPort Express [2 or 4], iWork [5], and JBL Creature II speakers [4 or 6]). North Michigan Ave, The Grove, San Francisco, CambridgeSide, SoHo, and UTC are the stores which will have the higher numbers.

All scratch-its need to be redeemed at the store before it closes tonight at midnight, except for the iTMS codes, which expire on June 25, 2005.

Edit: I'm just reading off of http://www.apple.com/retail/events/tiger/terms.html - I have no "inside knowledge"!

23. Swashbucklin macrumors newbie

I'm out in front of the apple store in Orlando at Millenia. There's about 80 people in line. I'm excited. I mean, I'm stoked. Over and out.

24. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Can anyone report on the number of people in line at the Willow Bend Mall store in Plano?

Or the Knox St. store in Dallas?

ALSO: Are people only getting one scratch off ticket each? I wonder what they do with leftovers?!

25. john_satc macrumors 6502

Back from the Apple Store Bullring Birmingham.
    IT WAS GREAT! ! !
    I won 10% off and saw 2 people win iPods whilst I was there, and the person won a Powerbook whilst I was there - they couldn't talk from shock ! Was sooo jealous!
    Anyway, the store itself is great as was the opening itself, going to upload my 1/2 images from the queue in a bit.

TO ANYONE STILL AT BULLRING STORE : How is the queue now, is it still busy??? (1 Hour to midnight here)