Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
To everyone complaining about the price. Are you considering the fact that this dock has built in charging? It's great that you have all your stands, but when you have to bring your own $40 charger, it's not that much cheaper.

What do you mean by built in charging? To me it looks like you have to connect a normal lightning cable to the back and that goes into a normal charger that isn't supplied with the box.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
People like you piss me off.

You go spend a fortune on their overpriced garbage. I'll spend mine on better things.

I take it back. They should charge $299 for this dock and people like you would still throw your money at Apple just for that little fruit logo.

I just became a marketing genius.

Ooooooooo. All right, calm down. Haha!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What do you mean by built in charging? To me it looks like you have to connect a normal lightning cable to the back and that goes into a normal charger that isn't supplied with the box.

I think he means you don't need to supply another actual Apple Watch charger puck, - just a Lightning cable to whatever USB power supply you have many of lying around...

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013

You go spend a fortune on their overpriced garbage. I'll spend mine on better things.

I take it back. They should charge $299 for this dock and people like you would still throw your money at Apple just for that little fruit logo.

Obviously you pissed off when your neighbor buy expensive TV than yours.

LOL..

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

You are here wasting your time and as a result your money posting on an MacRumors.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Is this not the same charger that comes with the 17K Edition. Bit different look but the same. You would think Apple would have had this out at launch.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I'm surprised that the inductive charging plate and the lightening port are not positioned 90deg to another.

Using this as a nightstand charging station, I would expect that the cable would go to the wall rather than stretch across the table.

If the Lightning port and inductive charger aren't able to be positioned relative to another then this thing is not worth it.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
$79? Apple has lost their mind. Maybe $79 if it charged my watch AND my iPhone but not just the watch. Apple is starting to become like the 95-99 Apple that was super greedy. That didn't work out well for them.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Looks like a fake apple product to me. Can't see  calling anything "Magnetic charging dock". The back diagrams and text also look wrong and the box doesn't fit together properly. All details that  would normally stress over. Happy to be proven wrong of course.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
looks like a flying saucer or compact disc.

For this price why can't u charge two things ? make it bigger and u could.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Design is cyclical

I mean,
Spaceships!

airport.jpg

Reactions: justinhu8

BrodieApple

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
To the people that think the price is ridiculous, all small Apple accessories like this are priced that or more in Australia

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
With a sheet inside like they do with any of their other products. They've always had a simple box and explanations on the inside.

Wrong. They've always had an explanation of how to use it on the inside. That's not the same as what it does.

A circle doesn't convey what this new product does in the same way a picture of a keyboard is obvious to everyone... In fact I can't think of any apple products which allow two different uses in this way which therefore can't be illustrated on the front...

Plus, look at the 6S and 6S plus packaging changes and throw everything we know out of the window.

I think he means you don't need to supply another actual Apple Watch charger puck, - just a Lightning cable to whatever USB power supply you have many of lying around...

Article says you don't need to supply the Lightning cable, only the charger... Like maybe the one that came with the watch in the first place?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wrong. They've always had an explanation of how to use it on the inside. That's not the same as what it does.

A circle doesn't convey what this new product does in the same way a picture of a keyboard is obvious to everyone... In fact I can't think of any apple products which allow two different uses in this way which therefore can't be illustrated on the front...

Plus, look at the 6S and 6S plus packaging changes and throw everything we know out of the window.

Article says you don't need to supply the Lightning cable, only the charger... Like maybe the one that came with the watch in the first place?

Well then that makes it even "less expensive" if true.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
To the people that think the price is ridiculous, all small Apple accessories like this are priced that or more in Australia

so apple products are priced 40% higher in australia? - because that's just the current exchange rate...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Well then that makes it even "less expensive" if true.

i'm not sure i'd say it go as far to say it was less expensive, but its certainly in line with their pricing strategy. if you think of it as three components - take the watch charger (part of the dock, OK, but replacing the standalone cable) and the 2m lightning cable and then take their prices ($29 each) off the $79 - apple is only adding $21 for the cost of this docking solution.

to those complaining about the price, they don't do bundling discounts... you're not forced to buy this to make the watch work, you're given an option to buy it. an option many will probably take up. there's clearly a market for it - the kind of person who'd buy an extra charging cable for the office or travel and leave one hooked up to their dock on the nightstand - now they have another option at an admittedly higher price... but is it really that high compared to say the twelvesouth stand + additional charger purchase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.