Official AppleTV Settings - Yet?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HelixOmnimedia, Mar 31, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello,

It's been over a week (maybe more I've lost track) since the AppleTV was released and within that time there are been hundreds of post in numerous forms all over the net, asking what settings to use to rip DVD content for the AppleTV. But no one has mentioned an 'official' settings - which everyone can jump on the bandwagon and use.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a sticky made with the best settings, which gets fantastic picture quality and sound with small file size.

Someone out there has to have found a good balance between the two requirements.

I'm calling out for these settings, and maybe in a weeks time an official settings can be posted.

So...
    List the application, all the settings, and why 'said' settings you think are the best - pictures could help compare qualities (if people are created small test files).

2. macrumors newbie

I have just finished writing up the following post for a windows-based encoding solution:

3. macrumors 6502a

This post might help. MultiMedia has written a guide.

Link

4. macrumors 6502

That guide was written for people who want to produce files that play on a video iPod (and consequently on AppleTV). There are many of us, however, that need settings that will produce excellent quality on just the Apple TV (iPod be damned...).

Steve.

5. macrumors newbie

Here is what I use to rip DVDs and get VERY nice quality without tons of space taken up:

Using Handbrake (avoid MediaFork right now if you can, because I've had sound to video sync issues):

1) Open DVD
    2) Set "File Format" to MP4
    3) Set the File location (if you do this after the below, it'll reset)
    4) Set "Codecs" to AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
    5) Set "Average bitrate (kbps)" to 2500
    6) Check "2-pass encoding"
    7) Set "Bitrate (kbps)" under Audio to 160

This results in about a 2.5GB file that will import into iTunes just fine and sync over to the AppleTV.

If you want to get really fancy, use Lostify to add all the tags to the video, then add cover art in iTunes prior to syncing over (you'll really want to do this for the full experience).

-Rob

6. macrumors 6502a

That would be why I said the post might help and I didn't say that it was a definitive guide on the settings to be used.

7. macrumors 6502

Sorry -- no offence intended. It's just that multimedia's guide has been frequently linked in posts that seem to be asking for something quite different...

Steve.

8. macrumors 6502a

No worries, I wasn't offended. I just wanted to get over why I had suggested the OP might want to look at the post. I should have made it clearer when I provided the link.

Less confusion for all! :)

9. Guest

I caved and just bought Visualhub.
    I now just tick "Apple TV" and start.
    best £12 ever!

the only prob I have on occasion is that i'll ask it to convert a 350mb TV ep under "go nuts" quality (anything lower produces lower quality than the original .avi
    but it gies me a 500mb+ file...nightmare, so I just tell it to limit the file to 350mb, looks great, the picture quality is a little darker and therefore feels ritcher too.