Official Appleworks updater downloads MS Office?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sourcemonkey, Oct 5, 2006.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

I just went to download the Appleworks 6 updater to update to 6.2.9 from apple.com and it downloaded MS Office for Mac test drive! Seems extremely odd to me. Initially i assumed it was part of the update, but no.. just office for mac. I'm extremely tired but this seems insane.

EDIT: After a reboot, double clicking on the file returns the message: "Error opening movie"...

2. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, apparently the lastest updater (not the 6.2.9 updater that was downloadable a few months ago) uses a new version of stuffit not installed on the intel release macs. When i clicked in the installer, as stuffit was unable to open the file it somehow automatically redirected me to the office test drive (still pretty odd imo). Subsequent attempts to open the file saw it as a movie file for the same reason.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ha, yes, I downloaded something from the MS site not long ago that was a .bin. My Mac tried to open it in Excel which, as you can imagine, wasn't very helpful. After eventually finding Stuffit all was well. I can see why you'd get confused, as I was new to Mac it had me thrown for a while.