Official: Drug Cos. Lack Vaccine Incentive

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

honestly, i am not surprised by this at all. Even if it is an absolutely horrible thing to do.

If you look at it from a business perspective, it is basically perfect.

From a moral perspective and medical perspective it is the worst thing you could possibly due to your own people.

Basically i am going to relate it to human genocide, which is what the companies are doing.

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

The government sets the rules, business just plays by them. (Well, they're supposed to, unless you're Worldcom, Walmart, Philip Morris, etc.)

If the US and European governments told the drug companies that they will buy $20B worth of the first safe AIDS vaccine that comes on the market, that would speed up development quite a bit. Your average "blockbuster" drug provides just $1 or $2B in revenues. Prozac is maybe $10B, so $20B would be a lot of money, and could maybe spur $40B worth of research, as different companies compete for the prize.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There you have the Hypocritical Oath (read: Lobbyists)

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Another example of the free market working perfectly, I see.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And this is news to whom? AIDS is big business to the drug companies. It'd be a shame to lose all that revenue. :rolleyes:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed. An unfettered free market works just great in these kinds of situations. :rolleyes: