Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
The one thing that bugs me about iTunes store is genre tagging of bands. I feel like everything is "Alternative." Being that I'm OCD when it comes to my iTunes, I was wondering if there are official genres for bands. For example, Playradioplay! is Indietronic, not Alternative. Streetlight Manifesto is Ska, not Alternative. I guess what I'm looking for is maybe a database or something with more specific genre labeling for bands to better utilize Genius.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Ask 10 different people the genre of a band and you'll probably get 5 or 6 different answers. I think when you get down to sub-genres and sub-sub-genres it can get quite subjective, so I find it's best to just use your own. :) I know this doesn't help :p

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Ask 10 different people the genre of a band and you'll probably get 5 or 6 different answers. I think when you get down to sub-genres and sub-sub-genres it can get quite subjective, so I find it's best to just use your own. :) I know this doesn't help :p

Unfortunately, that is what I figured and what I have been doing. Thanks.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Ask 10 different people the genre of a band and you'll probably get 5 or 6 different answers. I think when you get down to sub-genres and sub-sub-genres it can get quite subjective, so I find it's best to just use your own. :)

Agreed. And artist don't like being pigeonholed, so they'll cross subgenres in the same album. I usually re-genre a CD before I import it (after correcting the inevitable typos in the song titles).

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The problem is bands and artist want their own genre. It's cooler to start your own genre. However this leads to just a stupid mess of "Sub-genres". Like you pointed out, that one band is Indietronic. What the hell is that?

The genre game has been a huge problem in the electronic music scene for 15-20 years. Only lately does it seem like more conventional bands are starting to make new genres.

Don't get me wrong I am somewhat OCD about genre tags too. However I think a more simplified streamline genre naming would be more beneficial for you. I mean if you have 10,000 songs and 800 genres that is going to be no help to you.
Now as far as ska is concerned I would have to agree with you.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You're preaching to the choir here. Case in point:
  • Progressive trance vs.
  • Melodic trance vs.
  • Epic trance vs.
  • Anthem trance...
Yikes. And this, from a guy who still likes trance.

fully agreed with you. Years back I used to spin Trance along with a couple other styles. Progressive Trance makes sense, as most trance is repetitive and non evolving. Anthem trance though... That's just as bad as "ballad Rock" although I have never hear of ballad rock, thank god. An anthem is a song structure, not a style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.