Official GODZILLA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Balin64, May 21, 2005.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hi there:

You may be a fan or you may not, but aside from the American movie, Godzilla kicks ass.

I first saw Godzilla movies on Channel 6 in SD when I wee little kid: I don't know how, since Mums hated TV and urged us kids to read.

Anyway:

I just got two Toho Godzilla movies from Netflix on a single DVD: "Godzilla vs Space Godzilla" and "Godzilla vs. Destroyah". Wow. I had not seen Godzilla like this before!

Now, granted: Almost all the movies are very similar in plot and extremely predictable... yet: Godzilla has been a fixture of the imagination (and I am sure many a school boy's subject in a drawing) since the first classic movie of 1954.

So, what is your favorite Godzilla movie, and what do you think of the sociopolitical and environmental themes of the films?

It would be so cool if I could make Godzilla's "roar" play whenever someone clicked on this thread...

Well, attached is the next best thing!

Attached Files:

2. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Man...

MechaGodzilla used to give me nightmares when I was seven...

Now, some Mondays I wish I had his missiles, oh yeah...

Attached Files:

• mg1.jpg
      mg1.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Where monsters failed to kill Godzilla, America managed to do it quite handily. :p

4. Lukasha macrumors newbie

Godzilla Rocks!

I love Godzilla. My wife loves Godzilla. I've got my 2 1/2 year old and 4 1/2 year old boys hooked on Godzilla. My oldest has a plush Godzilla that he sleeps with. They have between them about a dozen plastic Godzilla figures that they play with (different versions of Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Space Godzilla, etc.). Every day one of them asks to watch a Godzilla movie in addition to the usuals (The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Shrek, etc.). If you've just encountered Space Godzilla and Destroyah, you haven't seen anything yet. Run, don't walk down to the video rental place and find Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (2002) and Godzilla vs. Mothra vs. Mechagodzilla - Tokyo S.O.S. Some of the most a**kicking Godzilla movies you'll ever see. I'm just anxiously awaiting Godzilla - Final Wars to be released here now.

Jeff

5. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I've seen the movies you suggest except Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2002. Did I miss it? I'll look it up on Netflix (true geek). As far as "Final Wars" it is already saved on my Netflix Que. :D

What is it about Godzilla that is so fascinating? And why do we root for him/her even when he's tearing through a Japanese city?

Some answers are obvious: he/she is saving the earth; but in the first '54 movie... it still bums me out when Godzilla dies.

Now I may understand some of them Star Wars folks...

6. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

No doubt... that movie was atrocious... I walked out. That is to what you refer to, correct?

Anyway... Godzilla is a Japanese creation and should stay that way.

Akira Ifukube's score and main theme in the 1954 original is of course a classic. I bought that whole album from iTunes.

Speaking of... there are Macs and Apple periphanelia all over the place in "Godzilla vs Destroyah." :D

7. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

You are a very lucky man....

My GF thinks Godzilla movies are complete bunk and kind of chides me about my Godzilla fandom... :(

Oh well: if we have children someday, I will surely follow in your footsteps and teach the little ones the ways of Godzilla... or at least bribe them with ice cream and satying up late to watch a few movies with the old man... crap, did I just call myself "old man"? *Runs Away for a While*
    :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They still make those movies? :eek:

9. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Of Course They Do!

And the special effects keep getting better!

...okay, a little better.

PS: The cat in your 'tar is much cuter than the one in mine. But mine has dark and mysterious powers... *Okay, what the hell is up with me today? :rolleyes: