Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Plecky said:
I noticed on anandtech.com's review of the new iMac Core Duo, the reviewer was able to turn off one of the two cores. If that functionality is available along with noticible dimming of the screen (since it is 67% brighter), then battery life should improve to at least 3:30-4:00 real world computing hours I hope.

That turning off core is only going to be available, with the developer tools. I do it on my iMac, but you just need to download the CHUD tools.

However, that article also showed very little difference in power consumption, when one core was turned off, so I'd keep them both on.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
powerbook911 said:
That turning off core is only going to be available, with the developer tools. I do it on my iMac, but you just need to download the CHUD tools.

However, that article also showed very little difference in power consumption, when one core was turned off, so I'd keep them both on.

While this feature may indeed be absent from the iMac, I am willing to bet it will be included with the MacBook Pro. It just makes sense to be able to shut down a core on a portable computer, even if it only decreases the ammount of power consumption by a small ammount. That small ammount will still give you longer battery life.

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
matperk said:
I got that--you get it if you paid the $15 for 2-3 day shipping.

Ah now it makes sense, thanks for pointing this out because the posts I was reading was making it seem like it was just because the UK was easier to ship to from china. Or because they don't celebrate presidents day as a holiday (obviously), etc. But I was not aware that I too could have got a delivery date estimate of 21st had I opted for quicker shipping. Either way, I'm still hoping Apple was just being conservative with their shipping/delivery estimates but I doubt it. What I've read is usually they are too optimistic and a lot of people say they'll be suprised to get their MacBook Pro's in February at all, and others don't even think it'll ship 'til March. I'm hoping its the other way around and the 15th/23rd will be the latest for shipping/delivery. I'm already pretty desperate to get my hands on mine. Also, do you think changing the ram in the MacBook Pro will be similar to the last Gen. PowerBooks? I hope so, since they made it easier to change ram for the intel iMac's, maybe it'll be easy/easier to do it for the MacBook Pros, that be nice:cool:

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Plecky said:
Ah now it makes sense, thanks for pointing this out because the posts I was reading was making it seem like it was just because the UK was easier to ship to from china. Or because they don't celebrate presidents day as a holiday (obviously), etc. But I was not aware that I too could have got a delivery date estimate of 21st had I opted for quicker shipping. Either way, I'm still hoping Apple was just being conservative with their shipping/delivery estimates but I doubt it. What I've read is usually they are too optimistic and a lot of people say they'll be suprised to get their MacBook Pro's in February at all, and others don't even think it'll ship 'til March. I'm hoping its the other way around and the 15th/23rd will be the latest for shipping/delivery. I'm already pretty desperate to get my hands on mine. Also, do you think changing the ram in the MacBook Pro will be similar to the last Gen. PowerBooks? I hope so, since they made it easier to change ram for the intel iMac's, maybe it'll be easy/easier to do it for the MacBook Pros, that be nice:cool:

No, I've called Apple a bunch of times and I've been told that they are on schedule, and that they are shipping on the 15th AT THE LATEST.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Has anybody ordered one in the past few days? If so, when does it ship for you? I want to get it ASAP and I haven't ordered yet, but I want to soon...

Also, can anybody tell me what the shipping options are at apple.com, and how much each one costs? I've never bought anything there; always dealt with the retail stores or authorized resellers.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
It's odd that the online store STILL says the MacBook "Ready to Ship" time is FEBRUARY. Really thought that would have been updated by now.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I just spoke with an Apple customer service rep and he said that Apple is guaranteeing that the MacBook Pro will be shipped by the shipping date listed on the order status page. He said that there is a chance they could ship sooner, but they will absolutely ship by the date quoted.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
guffman said:
I just spoke with an Apple customer service rep and he said that Apple is guaranteeing that the MacBook Pro will be shipped by the shipping date listed on the order status page. He said that there is a chance they could ship sooner, but they will absolutely ship by the date quoted.

Well that gives them 24 hours and 22 minutes to ship mine out :)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
guffman said:
You have the 7th? Explain please....

Most of the orders placed on the day of Steve's keynote at MWSF '06 (Jan. 10?) from the UK have Feb. 7 ship dates, and the ones for the US have Feb. 15 ship dates, or so I remember seeing in an early MacBook Pro forum...perhaps the news one?

EDIT Can anybody answer my previous question?

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
asherman13 said:
Most of the orders placed on the day of Steve's keynote at MWSF '06 (Jan. 10?) from the UK have Feb. 7 ship dates, and the ones for the US have Feb. 15 ship dates, or so I remember seeing in an early MacBook Pro forum...perhaps the news one?

EDIT Can anybody answer my previous question?

Sorry, I ordered on the 12th and I'm dying....I don't know of anyone who just ordered

harveytorriti

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2006
asherman13 said:
Has anybody ordered one in the past few days? If so, when does it ship for you? I want to get it ASAP and I haven't ordered yet, but I want to soon...

Also, can anybody tell me what the shipping options are at apple.com, and how much each one costs? I've never bought anything there; always dealt with the retail stores or authorized resellers.

Your new computer will come with 5 day free shipping. The option is to upgrade to 2/3 shipping for $33.

I would strongly advise against the 2/3 day payment. It seems to make absolutely no differnce in shipping times either way.

Good luck.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
guffman said:
Then that doesn't follow the policy they've had on previous products like the PowerMac G5 when that was first announced and on the first liquid cooled model. Many people had their shipping dates pushed further into the future when only a few days remained until the originally quoted shipping date.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
harveytorriti said:
Your new computer will come with 5 day free shipping. The option is to upgrade to 2/3 shipping for $33.

I would strongly advise against the 2/3 day payment. It seems to make absolutely no differnce in shipping times either way.

Good luck.

Ok, so, for free, I get my computer 5 days after it will ship....but if I order now, when will it ship?:p

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
guffman said:
You have the 7th? Explain please....

As asherman correctly states, the earliest orders placed in the UK have ship dates of the 7th. I called to place my order almost as soon as the words "one more thing" had left Steve's lips and was told that I was the first person to order in the UK. :) :)

Unfortunately, in Europe we aren't offered the 2 day shipping option so even if mine does ship tomorrow it will be 4-5 business days before it arrives. So if it ships tomorrow then it should arrive next Monday or Tuesday.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
maverick808 said:
As asherman correctly states, the earliest orders placed in the UK have ship dates of the 7th. I called to place my order almost as soon as the words "one more thing" had left Steve's lips and was told that I was the first person to order in the UK. :) :)

Unfortunately, in Europe we aren't offered the 2 day shipping option so even if mine does ship tomorrow it will be 4-5 business days before it arrives. So if it ships tomorrow then it should arrive next Monday or Tuesday.

I didn't realize you could call in orders....that's pretty cool....why do you get an earlier shipping date than the US? Shouldn't it be the same? Or are there people in the US with 7th shipping dates?

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
gekko513 said:
Then that doesn't follow the policy they've had on previous products like the PowerMac G5 when that was first announced and on the first liquid cooled model. Many people had their shipping dates pushed further into the future when only a few days remained until the originally quoted shipping date.

Maybe they really are trying hard this time. I can't imagine they decided to push the macbooks out early (since they only had promised june) to only go back on their shipping time from the keynote.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
guffman said:
I didn't realize you could call in orders....that's pretty cool....why do you get an earlier shipping date than the US? Shouldn't it be the same? Or are there people in the US with 7th shipping dates?

I have no idea why the UK shipping date is earlier than the US. I have seen several other UK people with a shipping date of the 7th as well but so far I have not heard of anyone in the US with a date earlier than the 15th.

macreator

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
asherman13 said:

A friend of mine just ordered and said he is being quoted February 28th as his ship date.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
On the Apple Support Forums, a thread that had a February 7th Ship date was quickly DELETED, not just locked but completely wiped out very quickly.

All the other ship threads remain minus that one.

Anyone else find that interesting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.