Official IBM sells PC biz to Lenovo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dr. Dastardly, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Confirmed just a few minutes ago that IBM officially sold there PC division to China based Lenovo for $650 million cash and $600 million in Levenovo stock. Now IBM owns a little under 19% of Lenovo while Lenovo gets all the associated "Think" line.
    Read the whole thing here

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'll have to wait a long time for reviews before going for a Thinkpad, I do hope they keep the quality and the top-level name.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Holy crap!

Well good for Lenovo ... they're already a huge force in China's PC market, this will only help them more.

I question, though, if we'll see any innovation in design from them. (Of course, it's debatable whether the Think line was innovative in the first place ... that's another discussion). Did anyone see their phone *cough* PSP knockoff *cough* on Gizmodo today? :D

I wonder if they'll also try to copy good PC design, like something from Apple's or Sony's line.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

now will ibm make ppc workstations? and what os would they run? AIX?, defiantly not OS/2, IBM sells **** to big businesses so they need a workstation.

5. JLS macrumors 6502

I saw this on engadget when it broke - truly amazing. If somebody had asked me if IBM would sell its PC business, I would never ever have thought it.

Incredible.

6. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

My incredibly penetrating market analysis skills prove that...

Either
    A) they have zero confidence in ongoing growth in the PC market now that it has matured, or
    B) they want to start flogging off PPC boxes running something other than windows to go wth their servers, i.e probably macs, or
    C) they really do believe that the future is primarily in services, in which case, look out Apple, because the chip division would be next obvious choice for the auction block, or
    D) they know something we don't (yet) about PC's/Microsoft that makes them want to run from the market while they can. :eek:

Now with an analysis as profound as that, I should be able to get a job at c/net, news.com or businessweek endlessly bagging macs all day long... :p

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

This seems like a pretty good move for IBM (I doubt there's much room for expansion in their already small PC division (~$1B for them is pretty minor).

Personally, though, I'm rather disappointed by this, since t I actually bought those dang things from time to time when I needed to go Wintel--they seemed to be of above-average quality.

The old HP Vectras were workhorses, but the more recent few I bought were so bad I've given up on HP entirely, and it only took one set of Dells to know that I'm never buying from them again, but the last four IBM boxes I bought have all been nice and solid, and it was nice to have a reliable go-to company.

It'll take a while before I'm willing to trust this new company, so who the heck am I supposed to go with now?