Official: Ireland's the best country in the world

Discussion in 'Community' started by plinden, Mar 17, 2005.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

3. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

interesting, i wonder where california alone would land in that survey :confused:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Congratulations to Ireland, both on St. Patricks Day and especially on being the best country in the world.

(Norway's not that far behind, though... ;))

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Go Switzerland, Go Switzerland, It's your Confederation day..

O'Yellow

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Poor Russia. 12 places below Pakistan. Barely beats out Nigeria and Haiti. I suspect the vodka-induced life expectancy for men (something like 58) is a major factor.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Finland, Finland, Finland
    The country where I want to be.
    Your mountains so lofty,
    Your treetops so tall.
    Finland, Finland, Finland
    Finland has it all.

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Impressive - and by a nice margin. Green is apparently good ;)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meh, I like the other "Worlds Best Country to Live In" survey better, where Canada comes at the top, or very close to it every single year. :D

But in recent years, Australia or Norway have been in 1st or very close, and since I'm living in Oz now..... ;)

There's no way Canada is behind the US. We're giddy just for being Canadian!

10. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

I went to ireland...you know what? they built the guiness brewery right across the street from a hospital made for alcoholics.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not surprised the U.S. is slipping badly. Without getting into specifics which will get this thread transferred to the political forum, the things that made this country into the greatest nation on Earth are being taken away from us at a rate which is alarming to even the most cynical of us.

I fully expect that some time soon Canada and the U.S. will switch places, and it will be our northern neighbor that will be seen as the land of opportunity and freedom, a role that the U.S. has always fancied itself #1 at.

Ireland's a great country too, though. I know someone who's considering leaving the U.S. for the Emerald Isle, and I have to say it looks attractive to me as well.

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Any Mac users (sur)named Johnston from County Antrim on the board?

13. angelneo macrumors 68000

yey, my country almost made it to the top 10.

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Any country could be "the best country in world" if it was taking £1000 per head out of the European Union.

You'll be telling me Irish terrorists are the "most cheerful terrorists in the world" next and putting that down to the "Black Stuff" and the "Crack".

15. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I went to Dublin for New Years this year.

Great city, but they are a suprisingly unattractive nation (in Dublin anyway).

16. ACED macrumors member

ACED

Hmmm ... look at the 'sand' those children are playing in, looks like mud.

At least Australia, at number 6 has the warmest climate than the top 5 on that list ... suits me, don't like the cold.

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    not bad!!! my home country is no where near the top :(

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I was going to try to argue with you there, assuming that the country with the second highest GDP per capita (I think) in the EU couldn't be a net recipient of EU funds. Boy was I wrong. It was only 392 euro per head in 2003, not 1000 pounds, but it was still the highest in the EU. It sounds like that will all change by 2007. I think Ireland should be able to survive the shift pretty well. There seems to be a lot more going on with their economic boom over the last 30 years than the reciept of structural funds.

The methodoology of this ranking was interesting. I was particularly curious about the "community" ranking that was based on church attendance and labor union membership. As with any choice of indicators, I guess that's supposed to signify a number of things beyond church and labor union participation. You have to use the statistics you have. That's the main problem.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Except, of course, for decent food. I think I prefer English food - and that's pretty sad. ;)

20. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, as someone else pointed out, it's actually 390 Euros, which is £270, which works out as less than £1Billion in total - small change for the EU. And yes, that will change. The EU funds did help kick start the Irish economy in the 90's, when it had Chinese rates of growth. For that, we're thankful.

I think you misspelled "Northern Irish". Last time I looked they were still part of the UK. You also misspelled "craic". "Crack" is something you smoke.

21. angelneo macrumors 68000

Pardon my ignorance. But what's a "craic" or the "black stuff"?

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

plinden, you have to keep in mind. The Brits are just mad because they've gone from a first rate power to a tenth-rate country that only maintains world significance by being the US's official yes-man.

Now. As soon as my British citizenship comes through...

23. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

craic= good time, as in have a good craic

black stuff= Stout, as in Guinnes or Murphys. As in "I'll have a pint of the black stuff" although never say that in public as you'll look like a fool. And the barman might misunderstand and give you a pint of..... coal, or tar.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know I would want to live in a cold and damp place. Sounds great for growing mushrooms...now, if it was only dark. ;)

Everything I've heard of people's visits to Ireland is that, it's a lovely place to visit but I can't imagine wanting to live there unless you're Irish. Congratulations to them, though.

25. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, there are only two things keeping me in California - the weather (although it's pissing down at the moment) and I get paid twice as much here as I would at home. When the dotcoms boom again, I'll cash in my stock options and depressed stock and retire to wet and rainy Mayo, where I'll fish and donate my programming skills to the open source community (if I can get broadband there)

Still, in Ireland you are only a couple of hours away from Spain or Greece. Here, it can take me that long to drive to the beach in summer.