Official Mac Rumors "What's Your Job" Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

People call in and I tell them to reboot. Hey? What can I say? The majority of them are running on Windows..... :D

Okay, so seriously, my official title is Senior Technical Support Engineer. Right now support a web-based database application program that allows companies to collaborate with each other. It's mainly used in conjunction with parametric mechanical engineering software (the company's flagship product) so I end up working with a lot of engineers and system administrators. The software runs on Windows and various flavors of Unix (sorry, no Macs) and uses Java for the UI functions (a bit slow, I know a little more functional than what the typical scripting languages can do right now). The core is still written in C/C++, though. :) I do a little scripting, including some SQL scripting, and Java programming with the job so it keeps me happy. I got to write my first java customization for the software after a couple of years (I had a 1.5 year hiatus with another company before returning back to my present employer--ah, the lures of working from home). I'd forgotten how much I'd missed it. Now, I can't wait for my Unix machine to arrive. Yippee!

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I create animations, graphics and promotional support for Mobile ESPN, a cellular phone that ESPN will be launching in two weeks at the Super Bowl. I worked on the commercial that will be broadcast durring the game.

I occasionally freelance at MTV Networks where I used to work doing production design/Illustration.

I also occasionally freelance Illustrate for magazines (usually adult oriented)

But most of the time I spend with my wife raising our 3 year old son.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I received my degree in Electronics Systems Engineering and a Minor in Computer Science, and am currently a Technology Project Manager with the largest Service Provider in these parts. I have my ITIL, CCNA and PMP designations, and am a registered Professional Engineer. :cool:

5. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I'm currently an undergrad, double majoring in Computer Science and Music & Technology.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I do graphic design and web design/development for a company that does marketing for the auto collision industry. I also have my own web development company that I do work for on evenings and weekends.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

At the moment I consider myself a Freelancer. Which is just a fancy word for unemployed :)p). But I have gotten some webprogramming jobs lately (mostly php/MySQL and some simple xhtml/css). I'm also (officially) still a student at least out this semester, though I'm not sure how that will work out... ;)

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I lecture in Music and Audio Technology at a London University.

9. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

10. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'm a full-time student and part-time programmer. I write web applications for managing e-commerce sites and commodity trading.

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

During the day I get to find creative minds to produce television and radio spots, and then I book the ad time and handle all the invoicing, etc. On lunch breaks and weekends I shoot virtual tours for real estate (sig), and in the evenings I do marketing/advertising/IT for a Re/Max office. When I get home I fire up the Power Mac, pour a glass of Merlot and gen' the QTVR pano's that I shot earlier in the day. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to work in a love life ;) I need more hours in the day!

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm a graphic designer (mainly print) for a hospital...and I work retail for a local soccer shop just for fun and discounts.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I am a Student of Graphic Design (that's what our Aiga student club is called on the campus club roster).

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I work for an NGO - Grameen Foundation USA.
    I work for the government - US Army Corps of Engineers.
    I go to law school - University of Maryland School of Law.

That's in order of how much time I spend at each. The only one I hate is the law school. I enjoy the government and working for GF-USA has me thinking that I would enjoy working for the right non-profit.

Oh, and I'm currently looking for after-graduation employment.

15. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

undergraduate at a tiny liberal arts college in maine majoring in neurophilosophy with a concentration in government/legal studies. medical school will probably be in my future after graduation.

16. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I work for a public school district in the IT department.
    I also work on computers part-time on the side, for extra money.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

For the past 20+ years I have worked for a commercial printer. Ran our Electronic Prepress department for the past 8 years, but recently moved laterally in organization to Digital & Fulfillment, which basically means running our warehouse, shipping, fulfillment, hand assembly, and mailing operations, but primarily concentrating on putting digital printing equipment on our floor within the next 180 days (most likely a Xerox iGen3 color press).

I'm rarely bored...

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

undergrad, CS major, but i do a little bit of freelance work for people & businesses nearby. and i spend a lot of time at a los angeles-based non-profit (sorta faith based, but everyone's welcome - i'm atheist) organization for the visually impaired as the general tech person/computer teacher.

my getting a job is complicated by the fact that i'm not old enough :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    (re: my sig, and others)

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm a graphic designer, working mainly in print – although I have been known to dabble in the odd bit of web design from time to time...

20. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i'm currently a high school junior who also does a bit of freelance tech work. that's about it. ^_^

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Librarian here.... I've worked in various public libraries and health sciences libraries through the years. Right now I'm only doing very part-time on-call work, which gives me loads of time to spend at home or elsewhere using my Macs or my cameras.

OTB

22. Lau Guest

'Mature' ;) student in graphic design. Supported by a mixture of vile summer jobs and a bit of design. Can't wait to get out there and get a job. :)

Production/support/web person at a graphic design agency, and freelance designer in the evenings. Bloody knackered, by the way. ;)

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Research scientist in semiconductors for electronics and optoelectronics, currently enjoying a one-year fellowship in the south of France :).