*Official* MacBook Gaming Benchmarks -- OS X and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Oct 6, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Hello.
    Since I had some major free time today at school, I took the time to gather up all the user results of what gaming is like on a macbook.
    The games are in alphabetical order. The post contains the OS X Rosetta and Universal Binary results.

If you would like your game added, please do one of two things: 1) PM me your results and I will format them and add it to the main list. This method is the quickest for getting your results to the main list. 2). Post to the topic with your results and I will do my best to add them to the main list asap. (More important if topic is not stickied. Helps keep the topic bumped up)

Note: I think it would be a great help to have this topic stickied. I would be more than happy to do a MacBook Pro topic like this if it was wanted. Thanks Moderators :D

Rosetta and Universal Binary Gaming Results:
    ---
    ---
    ---

Call of Duty 2 DEMO / Mac OSX
    White Macbook, 2GHz, 512MB RAM
    FPS: 5-25 ish
    I have COD2 on my Xbox 360, and so I know how this game CAN look and play.
    I was expecting the demo for Mac to be like utter crap. When you first get in the game,
    it is really choppy for about 3 seconds, with sound cutting in and out, and a few graphical hiccups.
    However, once you're moving around and whatnot, the game runs rather smooth. The demo is very action packed,
    and I know the full game doesn't throw much more on the screen. With my stock 512MB of Ram, I'm sure there is room
    for improvement. Also, it would probably run even better on Windoze. HOWEVER, if all the settings are low,
    and the res is low (automatic settings),
    the game is quite playable. And I'm used to the X360 version!

Call of Duty 2 OSX / Universal Binary
    - MacBook 2GHz, 2GB RAM
    - 30fps+ on auto settings (640 res for me)
    - Game detects best settings but if you up the res and detail it inevitably gets choppy and jumpy,
    especially in large and/or smoke filled areas. Leaving on default settings gets you a perfectly playable
    game and looks fine since the MacBook screen isn't massive.

-Halo - OS X (Rosetta)
    -MacBook 1.83 - 2GB
    -average 10.16 fsp in Time Demo mode
    -i ran the Time Demo, which gave me a more detailed view on what was happening. Im pretty sure it gets higher than 10 fps during gameplay, except for when there are heaps of enemys. It's gonna be much better when the UB comes out, or if you played it on XP.

Jedi Academy 1.0.1en (Universal)
    - Macbook with 2GHz and 2GB RAM
    - Normal Settings 70-90 fps | High Settings 30-50 fps
    - It ran real smooth and great! Problem about the Universal update is that 3rd party mods like the popular Movie Battles II does not work

Football Manager 2006 OSX / Rosetta
    - MacBook 2GHz, 2GB RAM
    - Framerate not an issue as it's mostly text on still images
    - Runs fine and better than my old iBook G4 1.2GHz. It's more a CPU and RAM hog than anything to do with the GPU.
    Expect FM2007 (UB) to run really well on the Dual Core without Rosetta.

Movies, The
    -1024x768
    -Medium Settings: averaged about 20-25fps completely zoomed out/lots of onscreen action
    -Low Settings: averaged between 25-30fps completely zoomed out/lots of onscreen action

Sims 2
    Macbook 1.83GHz, 1.25GB ram.
    works rather well, very playable. minor lag when up close, but when a good distance away, good fps even when 6 sims are present

Sims 2,
    Mac version, without University and Nightlife expansion packs. Patched to Rev. E for Universal Binary.
    Game performance: The game is set to 800*600 and very low quality settings. It lags when moving the camera around. It is playable without losing smoothness but it is slow. I've upped the resolution to 1280*800 and it would only accept the lowest possible quality settings. It seems rather unplayable even with only two Sims in your house.

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
    -1024x768 and Medium-High Settings
    -Generally averaged above 50fps; 30-35fps in intense action scenes

Warcraft III
    Mac OSX, under Rosetta
    Macbook 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM
    20+ fps all the time, no fps counter so I don't know exact numbers

World of Warcraft
    2GHz Macbook, 2MB Ram,
    100GB 7200 Hitachi HD, OS 10.4.7
    Min FPS 4/Max FPS 40/Average FPS 17-19FPS
    WoW runs great, depending on where you are (i am not talking about open areas vs. the mailbox at IF). For instance, in ZF, t
    he hallways drop my FPS to 4-5. In Gadgetztan, just in town, i get around 10FPS. I didnt have these problems until my character was high enough level to go to Gadgetztan and ZF (which also happened around the time the 1.11 patch went live). BTW, all my video settings are set to the lowest, running WoW fullscreen,
    with nothing else running in the background in OSX.
    So pre Gadgetztan average FPS 22-25, average FPS in Gadgetztan, ZF, Mara 17-19.
    Using the stock UI, or using the Insonmiax compilation makes no difference in FPS.

World of Warcraft
    Macbook 1.83
    512 RAM
    Notes: Runs very well. At least for me. Outdoor areas are smooth, more than enough to play and enjoy. I notice a increase in framerate if I set my macbook batter to "Better Performace".
    Indoor areas runs VERY smooth, silky smooth. With 2 gigs of RAM, I suspect this will become more common.

Unreal Tournament 2004
    Mac OSX
    Macbook 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM
    30-40 fps normal, 15-20 in big battles, 50 when nothing's happening

2. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Windows XP (Bootcamp) Gaming Results
    ---
    ---
    ---

Battlefield 2 XP / Boot Camp
    - MacBook 2GHz, 2GB RAM
    - 0 (see below)
    - Installed and patched to 1.3 but when I ran it, it shows splash screen and then flickers to desktop. Didn't run at all.

Call of Duty 1: Multiplayer
    -1024x768 and Low Settings
    -Indoor/Closed maps, like Railyard and Carentan averaged almost 60fps
    -Outdoor/Open maps, like Brecourt, averaged between 25-30fps
    -Dawnville TDM with over 40 people averaged about 40fps

Call of Duty:United Offensive
    Windows, under bootcamp
    macbook 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM
    30+ fps at all times except with lots of smoke

Counter-Strike: Source XP / Boot Camp
    - MacBook 2GHz, 2GB RAM
    - ~10-15fps with low settings (de_dust map)
    - Choppy and practically unplayable. Worse when you let off a smoke grenade or run around a corner to a large area.

Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition XP / Boot Camp
    - MacBook 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM
    - ~100+fps with max settings
    - The game operates too quickly. It might be early observed as being choppy. The game speed problem has been noted on pc's though.

Deus Ex Invisible War XP / Boot Camp
    - ~20-30fps with Default settings
    - Decent play, for the most part smooth, some chop in seatle archology level.

Dungeon Siege 2
    Macbook 2GHZ / 1GB RAM /xp
    1024x768/ about 25-35 fps

FFVIII
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 512mb Ram, Bootcamp XP Pro
    I can get it installed ok! but for some reason I get the blue screen of death when I try to play it.... Going to reinstall it and try again!

Freedom Fighters
    Loads fine, looks pretty good but crashes when I move the character too much movements are really quick, almost like the game is running too fast...

FlatOut 2 XP / Boot Camp
    - MacBook 1.83 2x512 RAM
    - Forest maps: 20-35fps, other maps: 25-40fps
    - 1280x800, no postprocessing, no triple buffering, low textures, 30% view distance
    - Decent looking and quite playable

GTA: San Andreas
    -Low settings, 1/3 draw distance
    -1024x768: Averaged about 20-22fps (25fps is the default frame limiter) and was very playable
    -800x600: Averaged 24-25fps with fame limiter

Max Payne II
    While the game ran very smoothly with low/medium settings, the widescreen aspect messed things up since I don't think this game has a 16:9 mode I gotta reinstall it now that I have my Macbook back and give'r another go!

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    -Would not recognize the 950GM graphics chip

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 All expansions XP / Boot Camp
    - ~20-35fps with standard settings
    - Smooth with decent load times accept when the game turns to night time play, during a fireworks display and on some carerr levels with alot of theming.

Sim City 4: Rush Hour
    -Medium Settings; 1280x1024
    -Ran above 50fps for the most part. Would only hang momentarily when initially loading all the textures. Zoomed, panned, and rotated surprisingly well with only 512mb of ram.

Sin Episodes: Emergence XP / Boot Camp
    - ~20-25fps with medium settings and 800x600 screen res
    - Runs about as well as Half life 2 umder the same conditions but has a little more chop. Sin1 which is included buts runs a touch on the fast side.

Warhammer 40k- Dawn of War +Winter Assualt XP / Boot Camp
    - ~20-35fps with default settings
    - Smooth for the most part. Will begin to lag in very large firefights. WhenPlaying as the orcs do make to many gretchin.

Vampire The Masquerade- Bloodlines XP / Boot Camp
    - ~0fp
    - Will not execute. I have tried several things to fix this but it will not run. The game is famous for bugs anyway.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The de_dust map in CS:S runs bad for everyone. Try a different map?

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm a bit worried about the results posted here, how can you say ~20 fps in WC3 if there is no way for you to see the counter?

How many of the rest of the games are guesses as well? It'd be better to say that you couldn't get actual fps numbers from a game, and describe how it ran like "i didn't experience noticable slowdown", etc.

Framerate Guessing = Bad.

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I know for many of the most popular games, (Call of Duty and WoW) there are plugins to accurately count the framerate.

My opinion: 30 is average smoothness. Anything 30+ is just even better.

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

the universal halo is out. on my 20" core duo imac (not core 2 duo) it runs really good. I have most of the settings pretty high as well. look in my signature to see it's specs.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Sure, but I've played games that felt smooth running at lower fps, and vice-versa. Which is why if you don't have something to give you actual numbers you shouldn't post any, rather note the defict and your opinion on how it ran.

My 2 cents. :)

8. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

"*Official* MacBook Gaming Benchmarks -- OS X and Windows XP"

9. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

10. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

11. nutman macrumors regular

Smooth with decent load times accept when the game turns to night time play, during a fireworks display and on some carerr levels with alot of theming.

the last two don't bug me too much, but can you please change the accept to except. lar. I know I'm just being anal.

12. WillMak macrumors 6502a

13. andrewe1 macrumors newbie

14. aholden12592 macrumors regular

actually source is awesome for me on macbook. i can't play any original maps for lag but here's what i do --- play modded maps like fy_iceworld, gg_'s, and aim_'s. All of those are basic mod maps but incredibly fun. The maps that are basic give me the oppurtunity to boost up my graphics to high as they can be and have no lag whatsoever:D :D

15. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Specs of the machine?

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love this game. Did you patch the game to 3.1 unofficial patch ?

Not tried on macbook, but the game plays well on an imac core duo 2ghz, and amazingly well on a macpro both with the 7300GT or X1900Xt.

17. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Blackbook 2.0 with 1g of ram.

18. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Mac OS X 10.4.6, Rosetta)
    Macbook 1.83, 512Mb Ram

Ran excellently. The game is quite responsive, with the only delays being the standard delay when the AI considers it's ten thousand plans of attack. No problems whatsoever getting it to run.

Doom 3 (Windows XP)
    Macbook 1.83, 512Mb Ram

While I didn't get an FPS count, the game is extremely playable. FPS estimates are ~20fps. The game runs extremely well indoors, and it slows down outdoors, but I've got no real complaints playing it.

Worms World Party (Windows XP)

Ran like Silk. :p

19. kalun macrumors regular

Civilization 4

Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB of RAM, Windows XP

The display will tell you are below minimum requirement, however, it will still let you play. The game experience has been pretty good so far. Doesn't seems laggy at all.

20. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Monkey Island 1 and 2 under ScummVM 0.9.1 Universal Binary:

Both work perfectly, even with the anti-aliasing.

http://www.scummvm.org/

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

FEAR and Doom3 both have built in benchmark tests, why people are posting estimates when this is precise I dont know unless you want everyone to think GMA950 is terrific. You going to post benchmarks then do so. Simply run those test and post results not esitmates, and post resolution, settings of whats on off and what have you. Saying your running at default isnt of much value if default is with everything off and set to low?

Fear will lists min frames ,max frames and avg frames and allows you to test at high,medium,low, things on/ off etc and at different resolutions.

I like the premise of these types of threads but not if they are just fanboy posts. Real benches tell the story, not touchy feely kind of posts like it looked good to me.
    (edit) I ran a quick test to do a example in FEAR using its built in performance test.
    My specs AMD64X2 4200 2 Gigs ram 7600GS video card
    All settings at medium.everything turned on.
    Resolution 1024x768
    Min frames 31
    Max frames 126
    Avg frames 56
    By doing it like this you have real measurable results that everyone can use and go by.

22. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour
    Windows XP / 1.83GHz Core Duo 2GB RAM

Full settings, 1024x768 reso
    Game very playable very smooth. Didn't get an FPS rating, but I'd say about ~20.

Red Faction 2
    Windows XP / 1.83GHz Core Duo 2GB RAM

Full settings
    Very good FPS.

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont have any benchmarks but I installed Command and Conquer (UB) on my MB and was dissapointed at the performance. It started up in a flash, very quickly, but as soon as any graphic effort was needed it slowed to a crawl. I didnt even bother with starting a game. The background 'action' on the main menu was VERY slow. I played around with graphic settings and even on the lowest everything it was unbelievably slow and totally unplayable. :(

24. rhombus macrumors newbie

Deus Ex Invisible War XP / Boot Camp
    - ~20-30fps with Default settings
    - Decent play, for the most part smooth, some chop in seatle archology level.

How did you get this to work on a MacBook? I have the same machine as you used in your test, and Deus Ex IW crashes to the desktop shortly after start-up.

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Damn...I was gonna get that too...

*uses Boot Camp*