Official Mass Storage USB for Wii!

Discussion in 'Games' started by monkeydo_jb, Apr 5, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Found here.

2. Guest

Sky Blue

I don't understand why Nintendo can't just open up SD Cards so games/channels can be read from there. 512MB of internal memory is just plain silly.

3. macrumors regular

Cool. So if this is true, it looks like it means we'd be able to use basically any USB storage device we have lying around.

At first, I just thought it was a brand of USB storage device (hardware), but on looking closer, it looks like it's software that makes the Wii able to use USB storage devices.

4. macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm skeptical. Does this finally expand the channels menu? or is this just another way to transfer files similar to SD where you can back up VC games and save files but have to copy them back to internal memory to actually use them?

Will they finally put a real media channel that can access this storage for MP3s and videos?

Will this be a proprietary solution or will any USB flash drive or hard drive work?

This could be big if the answers to the above questions go the right direction, otherwise it could just be a look what we can do marketing. I'm hoping that this also comes with an update to the SD slot allowing bigger cards and possibly opening it up to be able to play games and save directly to the SD card rather than having to copy back and forth.

5. macrumors Core

Dagless

Couple of things I'm wondering-
    -Will it cost more than a 360 HDD? Aka Please use 3.5" HDD's or make it user upgradeable. OR just allow any pre-formatted HDD in a caddy to work via USB.
    -Will this work just like internal memory? Can you run channels off it?

6. macrumors 604

zap2

Cool....but I really wish they'd just unlock the USB ports so I could plug some USB memory sticks in there.