Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccroo

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
64 bit?

Did I read somewhere that the limitations of a pre-Santa Rosa motherboard prevent Merom from being a genuinely useful 64 bit chip? Does Merom's 64-bit-ness groove with 64-bit-Leopard or are we just talking a speed bump?

I want the new chip but I REALLY want a cool new design!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ccroo said:
Did I read somewhere that the limitations of a pre-Santa Rosa motherboard prevent Merom from being a genuinely useful 64 bit chip? Does Merom's 64-bit-ness groove with 64-bit-Leopard or are we just talking a speed bump?

I want the new chip but I REALLY want a cool new design!

There are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the NAPA chipset, so I really wonder which one APPLE is using. For all we know they might cheap out and keep using the OLD one instead of the new one (ie: using the Merom chips strictly as a drop in replacement).

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
generik said:
There are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the NAPA chipset, so I really wonder which one APPLE is using. For all we know they might cheap out and keep using the OLD one instead of the new one (ie: using the Merom chips strictly as a drop in replacement).

Man... Apple premium you'd kinda hope so...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
poppe said:
Man... Apple premium you'd kinda hope so...

Well I'd hope APPLE uses the newer NAPA64 chipset, but they might happen to have extra old logic boards with the original NAPA chipset and use them instead. Since Macs do not have any BIOS we don't know for sure...

ccroo

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Maybe the current one is better...

Hasn't the current MBP been through several iterations and had a few bugs ironed out? Maybe you'd get a more reliable machine if you just bought the... the... Yonah-a-mig....

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
oh boo hoo hoo.

Now my money has to sit in the bank and collect another few weeks interest. DAMN YOU APPLE! HOW DARE YOU!:( :( :( :(
/sarcasm

chill kids, it'll be ok, the new macbook pros are on their way, besides 4 months from now you'll be in here saying "time to get my MBP on ebay, santa rosa is coming!" and 5 months after that "grrr, where's santa rosa! me want it now!"

ccroo

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Just as Hot and Worse Power Management?

Did I read the Merom was just as hot and got a lousy 2 hours of battery time?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I don't understand Apple's notorious motive to be so secretive and furtive. Life will be so much easier for ALL of us if this weren't the case.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
dornoforpyros said:
oh boo hoo hoo.

Now my money has to sit in the bank and collect another few weeks interest. DAMN YOU APPLE! HOW DARE YOU!:( :( :( :(
/sarcasm

chill kids, it'll be ok, the new macbook pros are on their way, besides 4 months from now you'll be in here saying "time to get my MBP on ebay, santa rosa is coming!" and 5 months after that "grrr, where's santa rosa! me want it now!"

That I agree with. Don't know how people can sell and resell their technology to "keep up" Must be a very expensive and unfulfilling excersise!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
viccles said:
That I agree with. Don't know how people can sell and resell their technology to "keep up" Must be a very expensive and unfulfilling excersise!

It really depends on perspective, would you rather sell and rebuy each upgrade season, toping up 20-30% each time, or would you sit through the upgrade and subsequently resell for less than 40% of what you paid?

Prices do drop fast with these rapid upgrades.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
generik said:
It really depends on perspective, would you rather sell and rebuy each upgrade season, toping up 20-30% each time, or would you sit through the upgrade and subsequently resell for less than 40% of what you paid?

Prices do drop fast with these rapid upgrades.

Most of the time I don't resell what technology I have. I keep it for a few years then get whats new then and keep what I had originally or sell it. Sure I don't get as much but I'm still sure it works out cheaper than upgrading every so often plus I get attached to it

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
ccroo said:
Did I read the Merom was just as hot and got a lousy 2 hours of battery time?

For the most part its basically stated that Merom is equal to Yonah and Has some performance increases in certain areas.

As for battery the only report i've read was CNET, which at times is a little iffy on reviews, but they were claiming they could get 5 hours on the Core 2 Duo laptop they were using.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the people who are complaining about people complaining about merom. Get off this forum then if you don't like to hear it. I'm gonna complain because as I said can only afford one computer for the next 4 years and only have till the 25 of september before I need a highend laptop.

If these other Mac lovers want to be upset because Merom hasn't come out then let them. I know alot of Mac users on here who have been waiting for Rev B to come out. Now Merom might not be Rev B, but still hopefully will have most of the quirks worked out that are already in the MBP and is kinda the closest thing we are getting to a Rev B... Finally, If they want to sell their Macs when Santa Rosa comes out because they feel it would be the best option for them, while i think it is ridiculous as also, but let them then with out being bashed...

Finally Start a new thread about how you think waiting is so dumb + selling you mac at every revision is so dumb + what ever else your little hearts desire...

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
I don't like to suffer, damn Apple, is been 4 years that I bought my last laptop (anyway, there are no more laptop's, only notebooks ;) ), a lovely G3, the MAcLoyalty itself:eek: sooooooo
Why are you taking so long in let my update my Mac!!!!!
But really what the most I expect is:
- More RAM (1Gb or more :D )
- Better battery life
- Superdrive in the 15" MBP (2x layer if possible)
- New form factor, anyone in a Black MBP????:confused:

fortunately, I can wait till end of september... but hurry anyway !!:eek:

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I don't like to suffer, damn Apple, is been 4 years that I bought my last laptop (anyway, there are no more laptop's, only notebooks ;) ), a lovely G3, the MAcLoyalty itself:eek: sooooooo
Why are you taking so long in let my update my Mac!!!!!
But really what the most I expect is:
- More RAM (1Gb or more :D )
- Better battery life
- Superdrive in the 15" MBP (2x layer if possible)
- New form factor, anyone in a Black MBP????:confused:

fortunately, I can wait till end of september... but hurry anyway !!:eek:

I can only see a MBP with merom inside and nothing else new. Not a single thing.

What is really scaring me is that i feel i'll be waiting for a long time to physically get a Merom MBP to me. There seems to be alot of people that would like this idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OMG: Ok so MBP which is supposed to be the Pro notebook is now slower than the top end iMac. iMac got Merom. So you know what is happening on the 12th!!!

Conroe MBP's 2.6! oh yeah. You heard it first... haha...

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
Conroe MBP's 2.6! oh yeah. You heard it first... haha...[/QUOTE]

Conroe??? I thought that apple pass over that, Merom or Conroe, whatever means more power and longer battery perfomance suits me!

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
generik said:
I hope they do, the threads following will be entertaining.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
iñaki'sonMac'87 said:
Conroe MBP's 2.6! oh yeah. You heard it first... haha...

Conroe??? I thought that apple pass over that, Merom or Conroe, whatever means more power and longer battery perfomance suits me![/QUOTE]

Sorry I was jsut being sarcastic... I just have a hard time showing it... and when I added it I did an edit not a new post so I couldn't add a ":rolleyes:"

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
OK Poppe :)
lets wait for a Merom and a 64bit chipset then.....and a better (if possible) design
PPPLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!:eek:

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
bep207 said:
the chip isnt the biggest factor for me.
the prospect of FW800 in the 15inch
user accessible HD
Standard 1gb RAM
magnetic closure
Better Graphics Card
Add a 8x Dual Layer SuperDrive to the list we are set! ;)

The current 15" MPB is in some way a downgrade from the 15" PB it replaced.
Add those features back and I will buy one...

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
redesigned MBP

An interesting theory is that apple could have been working on a slight redesign to the MBP as soon as they started getting good reviews about the new features on the MacBook.

This is entirely plausable. The features that everyone is crying out for are definitely a better thing than not having them (Obviously!).

This could mean that simply apple were waiting for an appropriate time to release the new design.

They couldnt do it too early cos everybody who bought the Rev A. MBP would be pissed off, and then they probably decided to wait for merom so they wouldnt have to do two revisions; one case design and one chip replacement.

All of this is completely foreseeable, so lets hope that they have tested both the chip replacements and any new case designs they might have decided to do!!!

also.....

When apple advertise the MacBook Family as being 'complete' it doesnt mean that they wouldnt do reisions, it simply means that there are likely gonna be no more models eg bigger MacBooks or smaller MacBook Pros.....

....Boo apple for releasing the iMac before the MBP! (Just my complaint to make posting in this forum worthy!!!)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
anim8or said:
When apple advertise the MacBook Family as being 'complete' it doesnt mean that they wouldnt do reisions, it simply means that there are likely gonna be no more models eg bigger MacBooks or smaller MacBook Pros.....

Indeed, like the NEW iMac family..

Some people are drinking Apple's advertising koolaid so heavily...

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A number of us use Apple notebooks to EARN our living. The current lineup has had a series of problems and we HAVE BEEN waiting for a decent graphics card, reliable screen closing mechanism (magnetic latch?), fast swap hard drive, improved keyboard, etc. The Merom cpu is only part of the story.

That said, a $999 iMac now sports a C2D cpu - Apple's top of the line professional notebook has a cpu only a bit better than the Mac mini selling for 1/3 the price. Can you not understand the pent up frustration over this, especially for the professional segment?

BTW - most astute observers of Apple's history support the concept that Apple does not do the old outdated "market analysis" approach - they INNOVATE and CREATE the market - BIG DIFFERENCE.

Plus - it has been over 7 months - a Rev B is due.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
anim8or said:

these advertisements came out on May 16, 2006. I think that Apple, being an innovative and creative company could make up some new advertisements in 4 months. Especially with the Holiday Season approaching.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
dornoforpyros said:
oh boo hoo hoo.

/sarcasm

Well, as I've said before, this will be my first computer in over 3 years. I'll probably have a C2D MBP for at least three years after I get it, if not longer. Sorry, but I don't fit into your patronizing comment. :p

lessthandmb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Everyone be happy and relax, MacBook Pros with core 2 duo are coming either monday or tuesday as a silent upgrade. If apple is really nice Mr.Jobs will start the special event off with "The Macbook Pro...many asked why we didn't update this before the iMac...well this is why *shows picture of thinner and sleeker MBP* . Its faster, thinner, and runs 30% cooler than the last MBP. Our guys did an awesome job".

:) Wouldn't that be nice?

-Jeremy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.