Official: Plane crash pilot left anti-IRS Web note

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Feb 18, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

mscriv

Full Story

This is sad and scary. People with no hope and lots of anger are capable of anything.

2. macrumors G3

clevin

I dont know I lived so close to an IRS building, why do I have to mail my tax form then? I should just walk there and hand them my forms. lol

The guys is unhappy for sure, for a guy with a nice house, an airplane.... he dislike the bailout of detroit, bank, airlines, he dislike health insurance system and complains that congress is not doing anything about it.

angry, angry, angry for sure.

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is very sad.

4. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Yep. That's the underlying cause of most terrorism.

5. macrumors 601

eawmp1

And mentally ill. The rant he left behind was not just of a hopeless, angry man. Would that he could have gotten help. I feel for his family and hope he is the only one he took out during his breakdown.

P.S. this wasn't terrorism.

6. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

My mistake. I thought he purposefully crashed into the IRS building.

7. macrumors 601

jaw04005

terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm|
    noun
    the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Sounds like it is to me. Domestic terrorism, but terrorism nonetheless.

8. macrumors 601

eawmp1

The problem is, terrorism is one of those loaded words that is thrown around too often these days. Based on a reading of this guy's (and let's call it what it was) suicide note, he was disorganized, unfocused...not sane. If he snapped and shot up his place of employment one would not call it terrorism. But because it was a government building we have to apply the terrorism label. This was the last act of a deranged man...not an attempt to change the world.

9. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'll agree with you. But many terrorist acts are committed under similar circumstances. Out of anger, fear, and hopelessness. That was my point.

10. macrumors 68020

leomac08

So the guy was mad at the IRS....and decided to blow himself up with an IRS building? wow:eek:

11. macrumors 601

Sad, so very sad. I used to work in the building immediately adjacent to that building, but our company has moved 2 times since then.

12. macrumors 6502

I don't condone what this man did, but I certainly understand and identify with his frustration. Sad.

13. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Having dealt with the IRS..... I can identify with his frustration. However having said that, pretty sad that it went this far.

14. macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Mass media has co opted the word to mean "An act perpetrated by a person or group of people with negative impact that we can use for political purposes", when in fact the misrepresentation of events by media outlets is far closer to psychological terrorism than the events themselves.

15. macrumors 6502a

Modern definition of terrorism:

terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm|
    noun
    the use of violence and intimidation by a muslim individual (preferably of Arab descent) and in the pursuit of political aims.

If this guy was Muslim, this event would be quickly labeled as terrorism, and the debates on Islam being a violent religion would ensue.

16. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you.

17. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So how am I supposed to interpret this little statement. Does this mean this guy reads Shakespeare? Pound of flesh. Does this mean the IRS are a bunch of money-grubbing Jews? I guess this sort of fits in with the conspiracy nutters who think the Jews are to blame for 911 and stuff. :confused:

18. macrumors 6502a

You just repeated what I said using different words, but thanks, I guess.

19. macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

not sure, i wonder if he got that term from this article. (this was posted 2 days prior to the crash) Cawinkydink

20. macrumors G5

yg17

If his name was Mohammed Achmed Omar Abdulla it would be terrorism. Just like the Fort Hood shooting is considered by many to be a terrorist attack but when a white guy goes postal and shoots up his workplace (which is basically what Ft. Hood was, except a military base was his workplace) it's just a white guy going postal, not terrorism.

21. macrumors 65816

Stike

This German website here is quoting the full "farewell message" by that man.

It is written in italics at the end of the article. FYI.

22. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

The daughter of the pilot, calls her dad a hero. Wow, I guess insanity really does run in the family.:rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587132,00.html

23. macrumors G5

yg17

Wait, so she's proud of her dad and thinks he's a hero for his anti-government and anti-tax views, and yet she lives (presumably by her own choice) in Norway which has one of the best universal healthcare systems, extensive welfare and social security benefits, and virtually free higher education.

Idiot.

24. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Hmmm, so his own daughter thinks he was a terrorist.