Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So I tried the app. Looks really well done. Just wish Plex didn't have to pull metadata from online. Looked in all the settings and can't find anyway to turn it off. Really wish they would let me just use my own metadata and cover art. Deal breaker for me unless someone knows something I'm missing.

You vsn use whatever user agents you want in any order you want, or totally edit all the pulled in meta data from the sources you specify in the order you specify till your hearts content. No idea why you want to do it all manually from scratch though, what a waste of time!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't think it makes anything easier. Sitting through menus and warnings etc. No thanks. With Plex on a Mac/PC etc it's one click into the movie, and then one button press on a keyboard or Harmony remote to toggle subtitles/audio streams etc.
I might have been clearer that my subtitle comment was for a fairly narrow edge case.

In the case of anime DVDs, a lot of times you might have 2-4 very similar audio tracks (for example, a dub and original language one, one of which has "pop" sound effects to go with onscreen "bonus" text and the other doesn't), an English subtitle track versus a closed-captioning track based on the dub, and in some cases a modified video track (one that has original language text to be translated by subtitles, and the other with English overlays).

Selecting "Japanese with English subtitles" puts everything in the correct state; doing so by selecting soundtracks and subtitle tracks on a ripped video can get confusing, and you might end up with the wrong subtitle track or even the wrong video track without realizing it.

Overall, though, no question that "clean" ripped video without wading through copyright warnings is an improvement.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm just puzzled by the fact that Plex on the Apple TV couldn't load the SRT subtitle file in the same folder with the same name. I've selected the SRT in movie setting but when I play the movie it just doesn't have the subtitle.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Can ATV4 Plex app playback video at configurable speeds? When I use VLC on my Mac, I can playback video at 85% speed, which really helps understand videos with fast dialog in a second language.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Plex streams video from your PC/NAS to your TV/iPhone/iPad. It will transcode your source video if necessary. The USB port on aTV is for service only.

So I can't connect an HDD to the Apple TV and use Plex to watch from that instead of stream from another computer/server?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I might have been clearer that my subtitle comment was for a fairly narrow edge case.

In the case of anime DVDs, a lot of times you might have 2-4 very similar audio tracks (for example, a dub and original language one, one of which has "pop" sound effects to go with onscreen "bonus" text and the other doesn't), an English subtitle track versus a closed-captioning track based on the dub, and in some cases a modified video track (one that has original language text to be translated by subtitles, and the other with English overlays).

Selecting "Japanese with English subtitles" puts everything in the correct state; doing so by selecting soundtracks and subtitle tracks on a ripped video can get confusing, and you might end up with the wrong subtitle track or even the wrong video track without realizing it.

Overall, though, no question that "clean" ripped video without wading through copyright warnings is an improvement.

I hear you. I'm a big anime fan. I'm careful to make sure I have the right subtitles for Plex from my Blu-rays/DVDs. And it's simple to have multiple tracks (audio and subtitles) and switch between subtitle tracks with a single remote press, too. So for multiple audio and subtitle tracks it's not an issue.

mendodave

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
So I tried the app. Looks really well done. Just wish Plex didn't have to pull metadata from online. Looked in all the settings and can't find anyway to turn it off. Really wish they would let me just use my own metadata and cover art. Deal breaker for me unless someone knows something I'm missing.

you can edit the metadata/cover art via the server.

mendodave

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
you can't uncheck those, but you can still edit the resulting metadata. take out what they sucked down, put in yours, including fan art and cover art. I almost always get different cover art for some movies.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
you can't uncheck those, but you can still edit the resulting metadata. take out what they sucked down, put in yours, including fan art and cover art. I almost always get different cover art for some movies.
That would take even more work. All my metadata and cover art is perfect the way I have it. Don't want to have to redo it all again. I have ALOT of movies.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I can't seem to remove the options for TV DB and Movie DB. Checkmarks don't uncheck

You can't uncheck certain sources within the various agents, but you can reorder the priority of the sources used for a given agent. So you can have it use the already embedded metadata (if it exists), rather than downloading it from one of the other sources, by moving Local Media Assets to the top of the list for whichever agent you are using.

Also, if you don't want it to download any metadata at all - even when there isn't already embedded metadata for a particular field - you can use the Personal Media agent (instead of the Freebase or Movie Database agent). Move Local Media Assets to the top of the list for the Personal Media agent. Then when you're adding a movie library, after you've selected the source folder but before you hit the orange Add Library button, select Advanced and change the agent to Personal Media.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Pretty much every HD TV (above 40inches) since 2005 has had a 1080p24 mode bud. It just syncs the refresh rate to 24hz so that you don't get the telecine judder
That "capability" has nothing to do with playing actual 1080p24 material, which is what I was asking about, and has always been a marketing ploy as reversing telecine is not what it actually does. I work with material that originates at 1080p24, though we edit at 1080p23.976, everyday and consumer televisions will not take this signal.

Don't believe everything you read. I mean that for everyone reading the rest of you post as well.

JoeMacDe

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Plex provides a very nice interface that will pull your media from the server and display it on your ATV, automatically inserting cover art, metadata, rotten tomatoes ratings, etc.

So instead of having to drill down through the computer app on the ATV and find the list of movies, or pull the media up on your computer and push it through Airplay, you can just use your remote to browse or search your movies, and the experience is about as beautiful and convenient as looking at your iTunes movies on the ATV.

Yep. If/when Amazon submits a Prime app for ATV, the other media streaming devices will be running from behind.
Which is exactly why Amazon will not be releasing any Prime Video app for the aTV.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
That "capability" has nothing to do with playing actual 1080p24 material, which is what I was asking about, and has always been a marketing ploy as reversing telecine is not what it actually does. I work with material that originates at 1080p24, though we edit at 1080p23.976, everyday and consumer televisions will not take this signal.

Don't believe everything you read. I mean that for everyone reading the rest of you post as well.

Well, yes it does - we all have 1080p material at 24fps (or 23.976fps) and we have TV thats sync a refresh rate to a multiple of 24hz so this can be played back without judder. They're all being fed 24fps material, its not magically converted by the computer to something else. You're trying to be a smartarse and it appears you don't even understand your own topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.