Official: Red Bull buys Jaguar Formula One team

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 15, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

And will now be known as Red Bull F1...

Cosworth has also being purchased by Champ Car series co-owner Kevin Kalkhove, and are going to power Minardi in '05 (Jordan having switched to Toyota power).

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=69360

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

rumoured for a long time... finally confirmed...

the driver decisions on the 24. will get interesting but i wouldn't bet my money on dropping Klien

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I wonder how this will affect Sauber though?? Red Bull sponser them so I'm figuring that if they continue to do so next season then we'll have 4 Red Bull cars... that's some exposure isn't it... :eek:

That said, if Sauber consistantly beat the 'Works' team, I'd imagine that things would probably change there... :p

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

stupid me..i completly forgot about sauber
    hm i have no idea how long their contract with sauber is running but i suspect not for long anymore...

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, now it's final.

Maybe they'll be some Yanks back in F1 now. It'd be nice to have a "home team" to root for.

It shouldn't be too hard to improve on Jaguar's record anyway.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good luck to Red bull on its purchase. So now David Letterman will have some more competition next year.

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

having a competitive U.S. driver is the only thing I think could really break the sport into the U.S. mainstream, I suppose someone like Jeff Gordon has the profile and the talent... the last thing F1 needs though is another 'Michael Andretti' :eek: :p

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ron screwed him over royally though. Not letting him test and having Mika do it instead really kept him from seeing his full potential. Hell, even Senna liked him and stuck up for him with Ron.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd love to see F1 go big here in the states, but NASCAR is $$$$$$$$(and so on) and a direct competitor to F1. Not that I like it, but a LOT of 'mericans are all about it.

A winning driver would go a long way, but what would result from a big increase in F1 in the US? another US GP? I doubt it. More money of course, maybe that's all that matters.

Slightly OT, what did you guys think of that "trading paint" thing they did where Montoya and Jeff Gordon swapped cars? I thought it was amusing.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I liked how JPM locked up a few times going into turn 1 :D

And I do recall Bernie saying he would possibly be in favor of a second USGP. Of course, it would probably be out west, maybe at Sears Po- err, Infineon Raceway ( :rolleyes: ) or Leguna Seca. Of course, they would both require massive changes for safety reasons (especially with the runoff area for the corkscrew :eek: ). Heck, maybe they'd even go back to Long Beach!

Personally, if it happens, I'd want it at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, that way I wouldn't have to pay airfare, just drive :D

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

of course senna liked the guy that couldn't outpace him - if i remember correctly, the first race that mika drove after andretti left, he instantly qualified better than senna.

ron let mika test and develop the car because mika and senna had the same kind of a driving style; they both liked a little oversteering car, and whatever mika did for the car was instantly good for senna.

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

To a degree he did suffer from lack of pre-testing, and he was unfortunate to come into F1 in a season where limitations were placed on practice laps. But he still had some serious mileage behind him though, and had plenty of open wheel experience so it's not really an excuse to be soooooooooooo far off the pace. For example, Kimi only had 23ish single seat races behind him before he entered F1 and was IMMEDIATELY on the pace on his first test... no excuses needed.

But either way it's all gravy isn't it, he still didn't show a glimmer of what was needed in any of his races though, admittedly being a rookie against the 2nd greatest driver of all time didn't help (and a demotivated Senna at that) he could've used that to his advantage, instead he spent his time spinning and driving into other people.

Nice guy or not... he was still crap at F1.

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Apart from Leguna Seca... I have no idea what the other circuits are like, so do you think F1 would work on other U.S. tracks?? I remember the street races back in the '80's and early '90's but didn't especially think much of them... (like most street tracks) but I'd imagine the U.S. is crammed with decent tracks that with a little modding (pits and gravel traps) would make an ideal 2nd U.S. GP. :D

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Okay then... it seems that Red Bull have cancelled their deal with Sauber.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=69445

Peter Sauber seems confident enough about finding a replacement though, and I'd imagine the way they improved last season it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'd like to see the car painted like the coolest flag in the would... that's the Swiss flag just incase you were all wondering ;)

15. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

From what I've seen of the Red Bull team (in CART?) and the Sauber team, I reckon the livery will probably be really dark blue with the red and yellow detail. I'd personally like to see it in the checks like the cans. Imagine the nose cone being one side navy and one side steel coloured, and the main body of the car like that but reversed. That would be one special looking car. :cool:

But Klien? Bah. Got thumped by Webber. This kinda kills my hopes of seeing Justin Wilson in an F1 car next year... :(

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm the designs(first paintings of the design) they showed in tv were indeed blue/silver and they will be driving the time trials in barcelona in this colors as well
    (i have no links to pictures ....were just on the screen for 2 seconds)

let's wait for the 24-26. nov in bercelona and sees which are the fastest 2 of those who are rumoured (coulthard,heidfeld,klien,davidson,liuzzi,speed)

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm looking forward to seeing what Liuzzi can do... :D there's ALOT of hype about this guy, and for good reason... he dominates like Schu! :D

Now I just wish Ferrari would get him in to learn from Schu before he retires!! :D

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, many of the circuits in the U.S. (apart from the really big name ones, like Daytona, Indy, Road Atlanta, Road America, etc. etc.) are actually in pretty poor condition. They're asphalt with many many years worth of patches. And if you think the bumps at Interlagos are bad, you should see the main straight at Sebring :eek:
    Honestly though, most of these tracks would be able to host a GP if they were resurfaced and had the required runoff areas put in. I think Sears Poi- er, Infineon Raceway ( :rolleyes: ) would be excellent. It's in the desert, and has lots of elevation changes.

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

that sounds cool... I think you or maybe someone else has suggested that before... :) I don't really know much about the U.S. circuits outside the really famous ones because the races that are held on them just don't get the coverage over here, occasionally I'll see a U.S. LeMans Endurance race and the circuits look like they've got more elevation changes than pretty much all the European tracks, save the 'Ring and Spa of course.

anyway, here's the interim Red Bull F1 car.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I like the livery...Hopefully it won't be just another nicely decorated float in the Schumacher parade... :rolleyes:

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The tracks I know of that host long endurance races (>6 hours) are Sebring, Daytona, and I think Road America. If you've seen that video of a Porsche GT1 going airborne, that was at Road America. Leguna Seca has hosted some interesting races too. I remember reading about one were they took Baja style off road trucks, that usually race on motocross type circuits, and made them run a few laps on the pavement before going to the infield. And you thought the Viper handled like crap! :eek: :p

22. brap macrumors 68000

Hehe... you a shareholder? ;)
    I was trying to remember that guy's name a couple of days ago, actually. All I remember from him is mediocrity - didn't he say in an interview with Brundle that he was trying to follow... uh, was it Panis, around the track?! :eek:

Talk about setting your sights high. Wilson got thumped by everyone.

23. beerstine macrumors newbie

American Circuits

Sadly, none of the classic road courses in America are probably up to F1 standards right now. I can't think of one that has the kind of garage, hospitality and grandstand facilities to satisfy Bernie's rich friends. Those things matter more than the track now. Hell, they race in Bahrain now, and almost didn't go back to Britain and France.

If it were a perfect world and the racing truly mattered, F1 would be at Road America, over 4 miles of long straights, a good mix of tight and sweeping fast corners and a backstretch through the forest that would remind everyone of barreling through the trees at the old Hockenheimring.

Laguna Seca is my favorite place to watch a road race, but it's too narrow and doesn't have enough places for the F1 cars to really unwind. It would be kind of a hilly Hungaroring without much passing.

F1 won't matter in America until a US driver wins races there. I would love to see Jeff Gordon there. He can drive anything and his immense talent has been underutilized in NASCAR.

24. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Do you mean apart from in this race? ;)

He's good. Klien got the drive 'cause Jaguar needed the money, and Wilson couldn't get enough. Even Bernie thought it was a shocking decision not to keep Justin.