Official 'Tetris' App Now Free in Apple Store App Promotion

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The official Apple Store app for iOS offers free books, apps and other content that users can download to their iOS device, and the company has recently updated its promotion to make Tetris [Direct Link] from Electronic Arts available for free.

The current Tetris offer is advertised as "A throwback for you. On us." Typically priced at $0.99 in the iOS App Store, the app is free when users redeem the promotion from within the Apple Store app. The program is designed to entice shoppers to use the Apple Store app and is different from the traditional App Store "App of the Week" sale, which is available to all App Store users and this week features the Max Axe [Direct Link] game from Naked Sky Entertainment.

[​IMG]
    The new Tetris promotion is being offered alongside a free book giveaway in the U.S. and other countries for Franklin's Valentines that has been active since the Valentine's Day store makeover launched late last month. The Tetris offer can be accessed from individual store pages in the Apple Store app, which are found by tapping on the "Stores" button in the bottom toolbar. The free app is listed in the middle of the page, directly underneath the company's "Love is in the Air" Valentine's Day sale.

The Tetris promotion expires on April 7, 2014 and is subject to availability.

Article Link: Official 'Tetris' App Now Free in Apple Store App Promotion

2. macrumors 6502a

edit 2: god I'm such an idiot. Nevermind. I got it. :p

3. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

Not showing up for me yet. Some lame children's valentine's day book is there, but no Tetris.

4. macrumors 68020

carjakester

uhh yeah its not there.

5. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not on the main page of the app. You have to go to one of the store pages.

6. macrumors newbie

Just in case anyone else needs help finding it:

• Lauch the Apple Store app (the one with the shopping cart icon)
    • Tap on Stores at the bottom of the app

I had already used the app to select my default store so you may have to do that before seeing the promotion.

7. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

Thanks!

8. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

go to the stores tab.

9. macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

It looks like you can only do this for iPhone, not iPad.

10. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Probably won't ever play it, but it's temporarily free to download so why not. Put it right next to Flappy Bird and Angry Birds in the last page of my Games folder.

One thing I noticed was that after it downloaded, it brought me to EA's list of apps. Maybe that's part of how Apple is able to convince EA to give so many promotional copies of their apps away. EA being one of the oldest companies I boycott, won't actually ever make a cent off of me so their efforts are in vain.

11. macrumors member

You also have to click on a store (any store) and it should be in the middle of the page. The instructions are a little unclear.

12. macrumors 6502

Holding out for a black and white Gameboy version recreation.

13. macrumors regular

Let's take a moment out to remember how EA basically trampled an early iPhone OS developer for his (IIRC) free app "Tris" just so they could put this out on the app store.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

Seems that way. Too bad! I was just yesterday playing the original Tetris app on iPad, which was great and still runs, but is no longer offered.

15. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Oh, yay! I gifted my dad Tetris last month, so now we can play it together. :D Not as good as the old multiplayer on the old Windows version, but still.

BTW, they redid the game awhile back to go alongside the Blitz version, so if you haven't played it for a few years now, the controls are a lot better.

16. derek4484, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

macrumors 6502

Not Free

Still showing as $0.99 for me.

EDIT: OK, you have to be in the apple store app, and even then you have to search for the closest store to you then the link finally shows up. What a PITA for an old game.

17. macrumors 6502a

kilcher

Did you go in and select a store? When I clicked on it I was taken out of the Apple Store app to a redemption code page with a pre-populated code and when I redeemed it the app started downloading.

ETA: n/m. :)

18. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Tetris was THE game that got a generation of females onto gaming, and the world of gaming has been way more interesting for me ever since. ^_^

19. macrumors 6502a

this was free through Starbucks about 2 years ago

20. macrumors regular

lol @ moaning over steps to get something for free that you dont really need.

21. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - I downloaded Tris in 2008 on the last day it was available in the App Store before it was yanked, and that has been my "Tetris" for a long time. But having the official Tetris will be fun, too.

22. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

thanks for letting us know about this.
    I thought I had my App Store app set up to notify me. but i guess it doesn't

2 free things today (maybe my son or daughter will like the book)

23. macrumors 6502

Love Tris!
    It's the only game I still play with any regularity when I want to kill some time. The EA version is excessively flashy and graphically heavy, even in the "basic" mode, for such a simple game. Tris is much closer to the version I remember playing on the computer in the early 90's.

24. macrumors 6502

AriX

It's ridiculous how good Tris was, to the point where it somehow looks and feels good to play on an iPhone 5S even though the app doesn't even support retina or the taller screen.

25. macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

Yep, super lame. And you can't even use the iPhone version of the Apple Store app to grab it as it won't let you run it on the iPad. WTF Apple?

Now I have to wait for the wife to get home so I can do it from her iPhone. :p