Official: Today (23 Jan) the most depressing day of the year.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Cheer up! It can only get better after today!

(Disclaimer: everything that follows must be read with tongue firmly in cheek, preferably your own...)

Psychologist Dr Cliff Arnall of Cardiff University's Centre for Lifelong Learning, an expert in seasonal disorders and a man who likes his formulae has identified today as being the gloomiest of the year.

So if you're feeling a bit down in the dumps, there's a jolly good reason why... ;)

And then you can look forward to the best day of the year.

M x O + Bh (H+R) x S, where M is for motivation, O for opportunity, Bh for proximity to a bank (public) holiday, H for the increasing hours of daylight, R for reflection time and S, naturally, for success
  2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    this could be the reason..

Attached Files:

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    The Dr. quoted was on Canada AM today (a nationwide morning news program), so as I'm getting ready for work I hear all about it... quite de-motivating actually. Today also happens to be the federal election in Canada so I guess they were covering it as a related story. :cool:

Even though they mentioned factors like post-holiday blues, Christmas debt, lack of sleep and other factors that didn't really affect me, I must admit that today has been rough so far, maybe there is something to that formula.

I guess what's depressing me the most is the current polictical situation and the fact that I'm facing the posibility of the Tories taking over ... oh well, at least it will be another minority government and we can all do this over again in another 18 or so months... (the rest of my complaints I'll leave in the political forum, if I ever decide to post them).

This also reminds me of some graffitti that was written on some scaffolding: "Cheer up, if the world didn't suck we'd all fall off!" ;)
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    How ironic that it is the day of our National Election here in Canada. Nothing like making sure the voting public is in a good mood... :eek: :p :cool:
  5. UberMac macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2005
    would explain why my iMac still hasn't shipped :rolleyes::eek:
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Then what about tomorrow, if it still hasn't shipped? Will it technically be worse than today? ;)
  7. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Ahhh, but if I have zero motivation, then M x NA = 0

So we end up with division by zero.

can open. worms everywhere...

8. Lau Guest

Well, I've had a good day. I've finally sorted out what I'm doing for my major project for my degree, and I'm doing a sneaky underground printing run on the college photocopier this evening with 5 friends, then going for a pint. :)

However, I am currently slowly freezing to death in an unheated studio, so it may well be the most depressing day of the year if I do in fact die. ;)
  9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    today will be a depressing day for many, thats why I'm going to the bar with friends after voting in the federal Canadian election today!
  10. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    This of course only applies to countries that are both christian and in the northern hemisphere.:rolleyes:
  11. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you, thank you Blue Velvet.
    You just reminded it's my mother's birthday!!!

Phew, one quick phone call...
  12. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I think it´s because tomorrow is the happiest of days, my birthday;)
  13. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Someone didn't read the disclaimer... :rolleyes:

It's just a bit of nonsense, although judging by the tone of your response it seems to be pretty accurate.
  14. StokeLee macrumors 6502

May 30, 2005
    Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK

Hmm Well my day went OK, well more than ok, theres a girl(woman) at work who I like, and i think she likes me, and after a day of flirting,( or i am really very bad at reading the signs) I'm pretty sure that I could of had my tongue firmly in her cheek :p if i hadnt of had to go home,,, oh well, theres always Tuesday, and Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday :D

Edit:- Even my diet has gone good. Ive lost nearly 5 pounds since i started dieting :D
  15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Well at least there is a good reason for my **** day. Nice meeting this morning where we find out pay reviews will be non-existent, then get home to find my cable TV box has popped its clogs. Oh, and it's freezing bloody cold again.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Wow, Amazon dropped quite a bit :eek:

Anyways, I am far from being depressed today. Went out last night for my friend's 21st and had a blast. Being served a shot while known to be underage is awesome. My own birthday is in 19 days, and I applied for a job at the forthcoming Apple store in Providence Place Mall (FINALLY!) last week. Also, both my picks for the SB won, and I only have one class and one rehearsal today.

Now why the **** should I be depressed? :D
  17. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's always the equivalent Monday in January - last year, the same news story said it was 24 January.

I've had a pretty good day; had the day off work and spent the day chilling ;)
  18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    My day is going well indeed. got some questions right, pissed the teacher off and spoke to one of my childhood friends...good indeed.

19. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    worst day of the year eh? <looks nervously over shoulder> . . . nothing bad has happened yet, <eyes dart left to right>. . . maybe i will sit here and avoid everything so that the day does not become bad!
  20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    To be honest, yesterday was fine for me. I finished my day in quite good spirits. So much for your formula, Dr Arnal!

Now, last Friday on the other hand... :(
  21. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Monday was my first day at a new job, and it actually went quite well :)

Current project is to fix this awful thing.
  22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    So, I get 454,800.

But if I tweak the formula by subtracting from the result the number that represents my disappointment that I've been asked to keep my tongue in my own cheek (in this case 3 trillion), I get a negative number. That the worst day ranks as a negative number implies a mathematical postive (double negative, eh?), thus explaining, numerically, why I love winter and hate summer.

Have you seen how the sun is starting to stay out later and later? God I hate the sun. I hate it, like, postive 454,800 much.
  23. UberMac macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2005
    Oh how right you were, today WAS worse! My iMac got pushed to 2nd Feb :eek: ;) How life sucks :rolleyes:
  24. sicknote uk macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006
    Beware [W + (D-d)] x TQM x NA, cautions Cliff Arnall of the University of Cardiff in Wales.

"The formula uses six immediately identifiable factors: weather, debt, time since Christmas, time since failing our New Year's resolution, low motivational levels and feeling a need to take action,"
    said Prof. Arnall, "These miserable influences seem to make a most unharmonic convergence around the third week of January"

We (Sicknote - a collective of hedonists, free-thinkers and party heads from Cardiff) declare the last Monday of every January as:

National Phone In Sick Day...

This will be launched with a massive 12-hour FREE party on the night before the first National Phone In Sick Day of...

January 29th 2007

minimal information is contained on our website at present at:

you will find a link there where you can download a live version of our first single, 'Phone In Sick' and view a current list of supporters!

More detailed information to follow.....

Article in Guardian newspaper