Official UK iPhone Waiting Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrploddy, Jan 9, 2007.

?

Which network do you think Apple will partner with in the UK

1. Vodafone

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Orange

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. o2

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. T-Mobile

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. 3

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Virgin Mobile

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. No they won't partner and sell it blank through Apple Stores

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. mrploddy macrumors member

Ok UK people, sign in here if you're waiting for the iPhone in the UK.

What are your expectations for the iPhone in the UK. Personally I'd love to see them partner with Virgin Mobile in the UK as Virgin is the only company that has the same "fresh thinking" as Apple.

I hope to god that the UK networks don't force Apple in to putting on their stupid branding. I would be sick to the stomach seeing Vodafone red or Orange orange all over the interface and being forced in to using their portals. Personally I'd like to see maybe Carphone Warehouse selling it vanilla along with Apple stores with the usual subsidies and leave network specific shops out of the equation. Whatever you do Apple DONT PARTNER WITH PHONES4U. They would be so hopeless -_-;;;;;

-mrploddy

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The 'visual voicemail' thing or whatever it's called is going to need significant operator buy in to work. However I expect they'll all be falling over themselves to accomodate Apple if there's going to be an exclusive contract.

It won't be '3' as it's not a 3G phone (unless that changes..)

I doubt it'll be Virgin, IIRC Virgin is rebranded T-Mobile. If network changes are required I doubt they'd do it if it was only going to be for Virgin users rather than the larger T-Mobile network.

TBH I see Orange as the most likelly, it would tie in nicely with the 'free' broadband offerings they have.

3. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I voted o2 in the thinking that it would only be on the carrier that I am not with:) . But I'm with Orange right now, using a substandard Motorola L6. It's crap! When the iphone's out, I'm running to the shops, unless a PROPER video iPod's out by then, I am getting one. It doesn't hold enough though, but if it had at least 40GB and phone capability, I would take just the phone.

As it is, it's too short on memory to replace my iPod 5G as a prioritized music device.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

They would integrate 3G at some point, Steve hinted at the keynote ;)

There may be a reason why it comes later to Europe :D

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm hoping O2.
    I'll switch to Vodaphone though, if necessary.

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

all the best phones 90% of the time come to vodafone :(

i'm on 3, so i'm hoping that the hint steve gave about 3G comes true :) and it comes exclusive to the 3 network!!

BUT, was there any mention of video calling? i didnt see this part.. anyone clarify?

i only switched to 3 about 6 months back (on 18 month contract with nokia n80).. so xmas time my contract runs out.. nice time for iphone..

i hope its not orange - they suck.. had been with them for 10+ years.. just got shabbier every year.. :(

ps: not seen the keynote yet

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Long as its not 3 Mobile it'll be fine.

Worst. Network. Evar.

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Why is this an official thread??
    And vodafone is by far the best network provider. IT is a little more expensive than other networks but has the best customer service and high reliability.

9. DizzyMac macrumors newbie

DizzyMac

`i m praying itlll be 02 or 0range as the others dont work where I live ! I also would have thought it most likely.....But who knows......And why cant we have it NOW!!!!!:)

10. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Hear, hear. I'm coming to the end of an absolutely nightmarish Orange contract. O2 had their problems but Orange are definitely getting worse and I personally wouldn't use them again if they paid me!

11. Tinlad macrumors member

I voted O2, if only because I'm on a contract with them already and really want it to come to O2.

12. chaslam macrumors regular

Well, this is something ive been thinking about as I link closely with mobile phones. My first reaction is that 3 wont have it. Firstly its not UMTS, which is what 3s network is based around (essentually 3G), so it will HAVE to be one of the GSM networks (unless that changes, which I really hope it does).

The ONLY network I can really see it working on really is o2. Vodafone and orange will insist on changing the firmware to incorporate all their brandings in it, which will be rubbish, T-mobile I cant really see happening, esspecially as its not T-mobile in the USA, and Virgin are to small of a network to really be able to boast a large phone like this (for those of you who arent aware, Virgin is not a "real" network, and are a virtual network running of T-Mobiles service).

O2 are the only network who dont brand their phones and really fit the clean apple image.

What would I like personally? I would love to see apple just go it alone with the iphone in the UK, releasing a 3G and GSM model of the phone so both can take advantage of it. Really there is no point having a great internet phone, with the dissapointing speed of GSM. What I would really like to see though is HSDPA. That would really do it for me!

13. mrploddy thread starter macrumors member

I second that. I'm prepared to pony up the cash to buy it blank so I don't have it full of Orange or Redness or Pinkness that would come with a T-Mobile, Vodaphone or Orange phone. That would just ruin it :/.

However I'm loathe to say it but I'm thinking Vodaphone might get it because they're a carrier in a lot of European countries so Apple might go to them purely for distribution and all the virtual voicemal and stuff.

Of course that would mean a choice between Vodaphone Retail or....(puke)...Phones4U.

-mrploddy

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I voted for 02 as they general do not mess around with the phones they send out (orange, vodaphone anyone?)

However i hope it is released non tied as i would buy it straight away, if it where tied to a network other than 02 i would probably not buy it unless the network had good coverage and good contracts.

My contract is due for renewal in Novemeber so here's hoping, last time around i got the Sony Ericsson W950i (for free)which is probably the closet thing to an iPhone out there at the moment so hopefully 02 will offer me the iPhone (assuming it is with them) for free or a heavily reduced price.

The phone market over here in the UK is extremely different to the USA and i hope apple sees that. Or they go with 02.

15. kyristal macrumors newbie

Apple and Orange. A UK partnership?

Just wondered what you though about this, which I posted on my new blog today:

At the Macworld Expo Steve Jobs announced that the iPhone is scheduled for UK release during late 2007.

According to the Apple website, iPhone is dependent on EDGE technology for many of it's enriched wireless capabilities.

Orange are the only operator of EDGE technologies in the UK and have a significant EDGE infrastructure across the EU. Unless Apple re-engineer core technologies behind the iPhone, it's not unreasonable to predict Orange is the ONLY operator technically capable of a 2007 release of the iPhone in the UK and Europe.

It's my guess Apple and Orange are already collaborating on core software/network technologies to enable the enriched features of iPhone - including 'random access' voicemail, and core music and video download and streaming features.

Integration of iPhone and EDGE is critical for user experience. So is integration of iPhone within home broadband and computer systems. Given this fact, it's no surprise Orange are piloting ways to integrate their services with Apple computers (through an Orange France pilot offering Macbook rental with broadband).

Stan Sigman, CEO of Cingular said their relationship with Apple is a unique relationship that lets "Apple be Apple and Cingular be Cingular."

This sentiment is reflective of why, and how, an Apple and Orange relationship will succeed - Orange delivers pioneering communications and media platforms through EDGE and home broadband, upon which Apple delivers groundbreaking devices capable of enabling enriched communications and multimedia experiences.

I expect an Orange Apple partnership to be announced during Summer 2007 if not before, with a scheduled release date towards the end of 2007.

16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Probably O2 but I'm thinking maybe they'll just sell the iPhone on it's own. Judging by the price, capacity, and battery life, I don't think I'll get one when it comes to the UK this Q4.

17. mrploddy thread starter macrumors member

Oh god, please not. I would hate to see Orange..."simplyfying" the firmware with all the orangeness and it's pathetic "home screen". Anyone remember the N70 debacle ????. Oh and the Orange World which you land on at every turn.

-mrploddy

18. dale.albiston macrumors member

I'm with o2 at present, with a k800i until dec 2007 so it could be renewal time about when this comes out.. hmm..

given i have only two probs with o2.. no easy way to find out how many inclusive minutes i have now (the websites a few days behind).. and the coverage is crap where i live (but then so is everyone else).. I'd stick with them if the contract wasn't too much.

the killer is cost, for 30ukp pcm I'd consider this, assuming a similar deal to what i have now (300 mins & 750 txt), maybe a shade more.. a small up front payment would be ok as well, given this does a bit more.

but not too much more, since what i have now will do the mp3 player bit, and has a 3.2 camera, thats actually suprisingly good.

*any* network that tries to cripple stuff in the phone, like some us carriers apparently like to do won't even be considered.

Orange.. no bad, but CS sucks.
    Vodaphone.. after dealing with singlepoint before I'll never touch them again.
    virgin.. you have got to be kidding they are part of the sam org as ntl, who wrote to book on poor customer service, before BT pinched it.

others.. never tried them.

Not sure if this is something i'd get, but by the time i'm in the market i dare say it will have been reviewed to death. but no way I'd get one now, even if i could.

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

the phone will have to be cheap (or free) if you're tied into a 18-24 month contract.

per month, i would pay up to £35 which would include unlimited web access (for the google maps goodness - sat nav? what sat nav :p)

my contract ends in dec 07 too.. so i'll be lookin at the iPhone.. but there is a long was to go till then, and the iPhone announcement will just fuel decent competitors (nokia, se)..

competition in the uk is fierce, so it's all good for consumers :)

20. Jowl macrumors 6502

I think Vodaphone...as they are massive in UK and Europe.

I hope it's not. I would prefer Orange, T-Mobile or O2.

Actually, I'd prefer Virgin....but that ain't gonna happen

21. mrploddy thread starter macrumors member

I've had 18 months of flawless service with Virgin. Their tariffs are straight forward and most importantly the CS is good.

Yeah the CS is hard to get through to at times but they don't have lots of weird policies which make your life hard.

But to me it'll be a throw up between Orange and Voda simply because they're 2 multinational networks.

O2 I'd like cos they wouldnt brand the phone to death.

Virgin I'd LOVE simply becasue I know I won't get messed around with them.

As for pricing it'll get sold at a premium for sure. This will be harder to get than P800's / 900's or the K800i when it first came out. Considering you need a £40 contract to get the 950i free I'm expecting we'll be seeing
    £50 18 month contract = free
    £40 18 month contract = £50
    £30 18 month contract = £100 - £150
    £20 18 month contract = £200 - 250

Thats just my guess but we've gotta accept the prices will not be as cheap as the US cos theres always a premium on Apple products in the UK so you might need to add 10 - 20% on to the price you were thinking of. EG looking at how Apple TV is nearly £50 more expensive in the UK.

I really do hope they bring a 3G model to the UK. Most UK networks are 3G now so it'd be kinda silly to launch a Quad band phone. In fact there isn't a single UK network which doesnt have 3G. They'd also need 3G for the Asian market as both Hong Kong and Japan are UMTS and they are BIG markets to crack.

-mrploddy