Official War of the Worlds Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jimsowden, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    This is the place to discuss War of the Worlds.

I thought it was great. Stunning visuals, great story of course, and superb acting. Got a bit slow in the middle, but an intense movie I think everyone should see.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Not surprising for a Spielberg film, ie. Saving Private Ryan. Looking forward to seeing this movie in theaters.
  3. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island

I saw it, and it was great,

I really don't get how they win?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
  4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    My sister said it was terrible and not worth the effort or the $10
  5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    10 bucks for a ticket? damn, thats pricey
  6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cool movie, then it just sucked at the end. All the sudden the Aliens die, and they just say the germs (human bacteria) did it. Its like they decided the battle had gone on long enough, and bam, its over.

Garbage movie.
  7. Shasta macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Upstate/Central NY
    It had a good middle

The story was the same as the original war of the worlds radio broadcast with a story about a father and his two kids trying to stay alive. Unfortunately, with out the context of the Narration at the beginning and end it gets really confusing.

the ending should have been darker...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    In the original movie, that's how the aliens died as well. You'd think they'd come up with a better idea or a twist on the it. The virus in Independence Day was a good one.....

9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    Note location $10 is cheap for a ticket they are ussually $13.50, on of the reasons i hardly ever go to the movies anymore, they have priced themselves out of lots of business in my opinion. Though i will go see King Kong, that movie looks awesome :D
  10. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    I really liked it!

The visuals were amazing, and the tripod at the beginning made me wet myself!

Well worth the price of admission.
  11. masterapple04 macrumors regular

May 26, 2004
    Massachusetts, USA
    I thought it was superb...until it ended suddenly. Still, a very good flick. I paid $9.75 to get in, and I thought that was robbery. Ah life... :cool:
  12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    I thought it was really good too, although the ending was a bit blunt. I was hoping for a possibility of a sequel.

My ticket was only $6 - I had a coupon. :p
  13. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Note that $A10 is US$7.60, and $A13.50 is US$10.20. So still not cheap by any means. I feel for you.

(thank you Dashboard)
  14. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    It was good to watch it once.

The visuals were perfect, first time I see such good organic render.

The ovie was just like the original one but I felt the ending a bit cheap, even is the same as the old movie it lost impact this time. In the original movie is more striking.
  15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Blame H.G. Wells for that one!

The original novel was a comment on British imperialism and forced colonisation, that we'd move over to somewhere less 'advanced' and conquer them – the ending with the germs is a warning against believing that our ways are superior, demonstrating that even the most 'advanced' culture can come a cropper at the hands of the 'lesser' culture. It was also a warning against our developing over reliance on technology – space travel and giant tripods didn't save the Martians in the end. So, in the novel at least, the Martians are really a metaphor for human nature. I should say I've not seen this latest adaptation yet, so I can't comment at how these ideas are used in a modern context – although I do know they don't involve Woking. ;)

I do recommend the novel, though.
  16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Gawd, guys - read the book! It's phreakin' phenomenal. Read it by candlelight... in the dark... it's eerie.

In the novel by H. G. Wells, the martians invade Victorian England before the turn of the 20th Century. Actually, they start their takeover from a place called Woking - SW of London. From there, they push on to the Capital, wiping out everything in their path.

I live in a place called Twickenham (famous for being the Home of International Rugby!), in a house that dates back to 1870. It was an odd feeling living in a house that would have been around in the setting of the book, with my town's fate actually mentioned as well.

The protagonist in the novel travels from the initial site to central London, passing through my area - noting the destruction and mayhem left by the Martians.

It's quite a privilege to have shared the same countryside with such an awesome influence on our imaginations...

In saying all of that, I haven't seen the new movie yet - although I'm destined to. I wondered how americanised the production was to become - considering Hollywood tend to play down the World's involvement in important events in favour of a US victory (for the risk of being flamed, I can point out that the US did NOT break the Enigma code, as sited on U-571!). I know it sells. But creative license aside, it's not good form.

It's also interesting to see that there is ANOTHER release of the War of the Worlds - this one absolutely authentic to the dark and evil tones of the book. Set in the late 19th Century, it offers the script VERBATIM to the novel. A truly faithful recreation.

The film has been released direct to DVD - as the director had been threatened with legal action regarding the Hollywood movie due to copyright infringements - even though the 19th Century version went into production much earlier (directly after 9/11).

If you view the movie webpage, there are behind-the-scenes stories dispersed throughout citing how Tom Cruise initially wanted to get on board the project (before the World Trade Center disaster) which the script was noted to be initially set in modern-day Seattle, but after the terrorist incident the project was shelved so as to not cause unneccessary anguish.

With that, Tom Cruise obviously couldn't get the idea out of his head, and decided to make his OWN version set in - you guessed it - modern day America. Meanwhile, the UK indie project kept going under the guise of a movie based on the Boer War - right up to the time of release. As I mentioned before, legal reasons have been the primary cause of it's lack of evolution - so it's destined to be a top-shelf rental, unfortunately.

Anyway - happy reading!
  17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    Agreed – it's a classic. Actually (and just to reinforce my sci-fi geek credentials), whenever I'm designing a layout and need some random body copy I use the opening chapter of WotW. :D
  18. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I just saw the movie, it was good. I wished the added more large battle where the aliens would get out of there tripods and fight with weapons but hey thats how i would have liked it. The ending could have been a lot better.

7 out of 10, but very worth the money.
  19. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Same in the '53 version - Gene Barry running around screaming, "Sylvia! Syllllllvia! Sylvia!" Buildings crumbling, people and things getting vaporized, eerie green martian destructo beams with the wonderful and scary-as-heck pulsating red ray beams firing every which way. The two protagonists meet in a church and suddenly bzzzzt... everything's quiet. Like turning off a TV. Suddenly church bells are ringing, some sappy song is playing, and the movie ends.

Interestingly, it looks like according to IMDB, both Gene Barry and Ann Robinson (Sylvia) have roles in the 2005 War of the Worlds. I doubt I'd recognize them in the movie, has anyone spotted them? I'm going to try to keep an eye out for them when I see the movie this weekend...

Oh heck yes! I've read the book at least three or four times now, and it doesn't get any less scary. I love it... The red weed in particular always gives me the willies...
  20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    We went along to see it last night. We quite enjoyed it. I'm very, very glad they kept with the original 'germ' ending – I know it disappointed a lot of people here but personally I would have been equally disappointed if it had been changed to the military just shooting the Martians to bits.

They make a brief appearance as Tom Cruise's in-laws – they're in the film right at the end. You can't miss them. ;)
  21. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    I enjoyed it...

...I knew the ending was said to be a bit of a et down, but I am happy it kept to the original. Too often movies change things for the worst (most noticably another Tom Cruise movie The Firm, which butchered the original book, not to mention almost every movie made on a Michael Crighton book).

I will not see again, but will get the DVD in December (or whenever it is released, probably Christmas though).

However not worth the $17.91 for the admission (yes, you read it right, movies are expensive in Japan)
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    i thought it was tremendous, although i was falling for this "its gonna be crap" trick dreamt up by annoyed critics banned from viewing the film.
    but it was good. i loved the original (saw it as a kid, got it last xmas on DVD), scares me still to this day. but the new one O_O wow.

them tripods really got me. the big shot with the single tripod on the hill and the people on the pier really got my heart going. the way it calls out.
    its funny how many people said it would have a different ending. i thought it was the air that killed them (when i saw the tripod breathing at the start i thought 'ooooh hell its gonna have a different ending!') but i mis-remembered.

only bad thing about it was the bloody cinema, i got a jumbo-Coke and a hot dog... ended up running to the toilets about 4 times! i swear it was a 2 litre bottle.

some things got me. like that guy who just happened to know what they were doing. and the aliens being 'beamed down' looked a bit lame in slow motion (on the VT). them baskets... i mean why? they're technologically superior but they need to carry people in baskets. but the biggest problem i had with it;

if the aliens had been there since before man, why didnt they take over earth then? would have been easier and they need not have waited a few millenniums.

my family's going to see it on wednesday, might have to go again ;)
  23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
  24. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Thing I didn't get is that, at the beginning, when all the electronics died, there were still people videotaping the attacks. Last I checked, you need electronics to run a video camera....,
  25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    I thought the movie rocked.

It's one of the types of movies that you have to be immersed in the experience, or you don't get the full ride.

I saw it the first day it came out, early in the afternoon. No one was in the theater, the sound was loud, and no one was talking or running up and down the aisles. It was so much easier to get lost in the movie - which made me absolutely adore it. The first time you hear the call of the tripod, and then that rainbow death beam.....yikes.

I saw it again that night with my girlfriend and family, and the house was packed, people were talking the whole time, and worst of all, the sound was super low. Completely ruined the movie.

I thought it was excellent. Something I didn't quite understand though - what was the deal with the red weed? Why were the aliens using our blood? If they were using our blood to make the red weed, wouldn't it have been mostly invunerable to virus/disease?

A friend wondered if the machines ran on it, like fuel, and they pumped the rest out like waste.