Official word on iPod Mini differences

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chrispy, May 3, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hello all. I think I am going to guy an iPod mini and I don't really need the 6Gig model but a review I read said it had better battery life and slightly better sound quailty than the old 4Gig. I was wondering if apple implimented these imporvements into their current 4Gig models now as well or if it is worth the $50 to get the 6GB model. Thanks all.

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hi there ,

both the new 4gb and 6gb minis were brought in together, so they are both exactly the same, except for the storage.

they both have an increased 18 hour battery life.

3. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Thank you very much for that information. I will be placing my order today :) As always the helpful and informative macrumors team pulled through.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But make sure, if you are not buying from Apple, that you get a "new" 4GB one and not the original model... I believe that if you look at the Apple store, you can see the model number, which changed. There may still be stores out there deeply discounting 1st gen 4GB Minis....

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

good point mkrishnan, i really should have mentioned that :eek:

an fyi for everyone, 2nd gen mini's come in thinner, coloured boxes.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now *that's* a good point. ;) And I think if you see one in person, IIRC, the wheel has a sort of backlight that glows underneath it in the 2G mini and not in the 1G mini, right?

EDIT: easier yet, I think the 2G mini has text on the wheel that color matches the body of the mini, whereas the text is always grey/black on the 1G mini?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes the text is colored on the 2G minis, nice blue for mine, but they do not light up :(

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I just ordered one from apple a min ago. I am excited to get it :)