"Official" World of Warcaft Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by wrxguy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    (not sure if I can make "Official" threads so that is why they are in quotes :D)
    I think that these forums could use this as a place to post all WoW related stuff, it would be cool if everyone that plays could post their:
    • WoW Character Name
    • Server Name
    • Level and Profession(s)
    This way us of this that play can use this to talk to fellow MR's on WoW and we can also help each other out w/ professions, questions, and so forth! So I will Start:

• Karlmalone
    • Gileneas
    • lvl 45 Mining, Enchanting
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
  3. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Name: Terenn
    Server: Elune
    Class: Lvl 58 Arcane/Frost Mage
    Professions: Tailoring/Skinning (both Artisan)
  4. Melkor macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    Name: Carcharoth
    Server: Arathar
    Level: 40
    Profession: Mining, Blacksmithing
    Guild: The Wrath Of The Horde

I haven't played in a good while now though. I just got bored with it and it's just so time consuming. I don't intend on updating my accound for a good while tbh.
  5. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    My account is deactivated indefinitely, but I had:

- Name: Vlar
    - Server: Durotan
    - Class: Level 60 Human Paladin
    - Profs: Engineer/Miner
    - Spec: Healing

This guy will be deleted if/when I reactivate my account. Do not make a paladin.

Come to think about this thread was asking for names of people who actually play, but take this as a warning: No Paladins, No PvE servers.
  6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    - name: vilerabbit
    - server: skullchrusher
    - class: level 25 undead warrior
    - profs: miner/skinner
  7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Hehe my friend wrote a research paper on the addictiveness of MMORPGs, and he is addicted to WoW :D

Anyways, to contribute something, the expansion looks pretty sweet. The Blood Elves will be awesome. What about the alliance? Panderan? (sp?)
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    My account is also deactivated indefinitely, and almost certainly permanently. I too had a paladin, lvl 60. I liked him, though paladin does become a less fun class at 60 than it is up until that point. My mage, lvl 49, was a lot more fun.
  9. patrickzander macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2005
    Stupid Question but I suppose I can ask.

Are the Mac and PC version the same. For example, My friend plays the game on PC and I will play on a Mac. Will we be able to play on the same servers.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    yes, you'll be able to play together.
  11. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Why no PvE servers, if I may ask?
  12. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Well i just bought WoW...very excited/scared. i dont wanna get totally hooked on this game and then fail all my exams..

But can you peeps here maybe give me some tips on characters and stuff, will be much appreciated.
  13. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Then I suggest not playing.. typically by the time you realize you're hooked.. it's too late and you've failed all your exams. I suggest waiting until AFTER the holidays to start. At least you'll have a full semster to screw yourself over, rather then just screwing up the end of this one. :)
  14. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Because PvE server = lame carebear server :p PvP is where the REAL challenge is.

but anyway, here I am:

Name: Chroesire
    Server: Bleeding Hollow
    Race/Class: Level 44 Human Mage
    Professions: Alchemy/Herbalism

Can't wait for the mage patch...
  15. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    If you have any inclination to play PVP at some point make your character on a PVP server. It makes you a better player, despite certain 'inconveniences' period.

I played a frost mage, a paladin (yuck) a hunter (in phase 2 beta) and lastly an undead priest. My favorite was the undead priest. In other words, take some time to make a couple of characters and try out different classes. Get a feel for their style (it doesn't take long to level up in the beginning and it instills a decent sense of how the class plays) then make your decision on what you want to play.

Lastly, go Horde they are superior to the Alliance in every way, shape and form :D .
  16. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Dunno about your server, but on Bleeding Hollow the horde are MAJOR butts and spend day in and day out ganking greycaps (we're talking level 60s killing hundreds of levels 1s-20s). This alone is sicking and enough to make me stay away from Horde.

Besides that, none of their races appeal to me... All of them are ugly, I hate undead for their origin (The Lich King was an !&#hat), cows are boring, and orcs are too barbaric (not a big fan of the "me smash" types). Trolls are the only ones I don't have much against, but there's still no strong appeal there. I might play horde when blood elves come around though, as I'm not seeing a downside to them.
  17. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Don't play until exams are over. Seriously. I'd say there's roughly a 95% chance you'll get hooked to the point where WoW is more interesting than studying for exams...which is never a good thing. :p

Besides the basic fact that PvP is infinitely more fun than PvE (killing other players vs. killing computer controlled guys...come on :rolleyes:), PvE servers tend to make the game less fun for a variety of reasons.

My biggest beef with MC/BWL end game PvE content is that it's boring as hell. Pretty much everyone you will talk to will agree that they are not really 'fun' experiences...and what is a game when it is not fun? I mean, I spent hours and hours of my life in MC, getting epic gear to make my character better at what? Spending more time doing heinously boring instances.

PvP, taken lightly, is much more interesting, just based on the fact that you're working with other people to fight other people.

Here are a couple very true generalizations based on what I've seen playing on a PvE server for 9 months:

--Drama is out of control...people take the game really seriosuly and guilds breaking up/forming tend to create big stinks about stupid issues.
    --Gold farmers are out of control because nobody can kill them.
    --People have characters on both horde and alliance on the same server, tweaking out the economies (I had 3 Level 1 alts, one at each auction house, passing stuff between Horde and Alliance to sell it for more).
    --Dueling between Horde and Alliance is more common than 1v1 PvP. That's just stupid.
    --Nobody does Battlegrounds.
    --There is an entire strategy in taunting people into flagging for PvP...which is entirely stupid, you should either just gank people or get ganked, not play around trying to trick people into flagging.
    --There's no challenge getting anywhere in the game...I ran Level 1 alts to almost every zone on every continent with no problem at all...on a PvP server they would have died in minutes.

Really, new PvE servers don't get any players, and old PvE servers are typically made up of people who didn't know the difference on the first day and picked the server with the lower population.
  18. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Feb 16, 2005
    name: sargon
    level: 12
    tauren shaman

Basically this game is boring as hell. I can't see how people could get so addicted to it... oh well... :D
    All in all i thought Baldure's Gate 2 was the best game i've EVER played. With baldure's gate you always had the main plot in mind, and then did the interesting little quests on the side. What you wanted to do was actually do the quests because you were interested in them, no because you want the exp to level up your character(s). In WoW the plot sucks. Its basically like Diablo all over, and the only thing that is slightly interesting is to level up your character.
  19. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach
  20. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I canceled my account a few months ago to pay the cable bill but I think I may start up again ;) I have my Dual Processor PM 1.8 and my Radeon 9800 pro on the way so I will have the power to enjoy the game in all its splendor :D
  21. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    Name: Ghostee
    Server: Malygos
    Level 48 Tauren Shaman
  22. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Name: mclunchbox
    Server: hellscream(europe)

Human warrior level 6 for now.
  23. Semperfiero macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
  24. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    They would if they worked properly. Unfortunately the current PvP game mechanics suck, and make all but the really established PvP servers a waste of time.

Blizzard was going to introduce a dishonorable kill system to discourage high level characters from griefing low levels. Unfortunately, they couldn't find a way to make it work. This has had a number of unfortunate effects.

(1) You can't really have much continuous fun in World PvP up until level 50+ because chances are the person you are trying to kill has a stealthed level 60 rogue babysitting him.

(2) If you kill someone and they get mad, they will call in babysitters and camp you. So you do the same. The result: lowbs hang around being one shotted while the higher levels duke it out.

(3) Some players live to grief questing zones. A lot of the mid game content is basically inacessible without spending hours running to rez.

(4) Many players are not satisified with merely killing you. Rather, they will train mobs on you or kill you to 10% and let a mob kill you. This means you spend a fortune on repairing your equipment.

(5) Many PvP servers are ghost towns. People roll on the new ones in hopes of being able to level up fast enough to avoid most of the ganking, and then, because this strategy always has more losers than winners, they leave and try again on another newer server. Those who are committed to gaining honor are in the BGs (if you can get one going) and you can walk for miles without seeing many people at all.

(6) Most of the real idiots play on PvP servers. The maturity level in WoW is pretty low. The maturity level on PvP servers is ridiculously low.

The idea of a PvP server is nice. The reality is a lot less than it could be. If they wanted to make it better, Blizz would find some way of providing disincentives for people entering lowbie zones and ganking. Those zones would be better if they were basically giant BGs for the characters of the appropriate level.

My own suspicion is that Blizz makes PvP servers to keep the tards away from the serious players.

Hence the BGs. They are almost always up on my current server. World PvP is also pretty frequent too. I had a nice 20 minute fight at Astraanar this evening, and there are big raids most nights.

Same on PvP servers.

It's not that bad.

If you want to waste your time doing that, good luck to you. Join a decent guild. I rarely use the auction house. I get most of my stuff from guildmates.

Why? You just say it is without any supporting reasons.

Total BS. I made Knight at level 38 by doing AB almost all the time.

If people want to waste their time doing that, it's their problem.

BS. With the agro radius you would have it would be pretty much impossible to map out the whole game with a level 1.

BS. I rerolled to Greymane to play with some friends. It has a lot of players and is only about 3 or 4 months old.

Your server must just suck.