Oh boy: Apple drops the "Mac" from "Mac OS X"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rorschach, Jun 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

rorschach

2. macrumors 6502

I guess enough people know that it's for Mac when they hear OS X.

3. macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't see the issue here.

4. macrumors 6502a

poobear

We don’t say "PC Windows 7" either. No big deal.

5. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Well, better than making it "iOS Lion" or even worse, "iPad OS X Lion".

6. macrumors 6502

FroMann

Its still OS X, OS X runs on Macs. (or really, Apple PCs) No worries.

7. macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I prefer they drop the Mac. Not really needed.

And I bet that sometime in the not-too-distant future, Apple drops the 'Mac' name in their hardware for something else.

8. macrumors 6502

I agree. It's the beginning of the end for sure. Apple said the we are in a post pc era.... no we aren't.

We just aren't. And if they really merge the iOS with Mac OS X, we can forget about gained marketshare... cause they will bomb.

Windows is now stable enough for me to use on a daily basis. IF more of this ***** continues, the will lose a hardcore grassroots supporter. Me, along with many more.

9. macrumors member

Anyone remember back when Mac OS X used to be called OS X?

10. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Guys, these types of things have confused for years. When Apple dropped the "Computer" from their name, I forgot if they made computers.

11. macrumors 601

alust2013

Because it's not PC. Dropping windows would be the equivalent of dropping Mac

12. macrumors G3

NT1440

And what will Apple do without people like you flipping a **** about "Mac" being put in front of OSX.

Here's the funny thing, Apple knows where the market is going and they will continue to kick ass. They've proven to have a wildly successful vision and roadmap with no signs of slowing down. You say the post PC world isn't coming, I say what the hell can you expect otherwise with these devices becoming more popular and third world's main access to the internet (by which I mean mobile devices).

13. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Anyone remember "System 7"? No "Mac" there either, but also no histrionics from crazed fans that think they're being abandoned. Deal with it.

jW

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

rorschach

By the way, I'm fine with it personally. But I just know some people are gonna freak out over this really minor non-issue.

15. macrumors newbie

Well it is true that mobile devices are the most frequently used method to access the internet, last time I checked my imac is not at all a mobile device, and that is why I have it. We continue to use large computers because of the huge advantage they have over mobile computing power, and the operating system should reflect that. I am considering switching back to windows, just because I would prefer that my desktop operating system remains a desktop operating system that takes advantage of what it is, not a mobile operating system reflecting the way mobile devices or used.

16. macrumors 68030

srf4real

I agree

You better hurry though, Windows 8 doesn't look too promising either for us who like to have a little control over our machines.. instead of going wherever they lead us.:rolleyes:

17. macrumors 6502

In fact, Windows 8 has put the normal desktop OS paradigm as far away as possible, where Lion only adds the mobile-like interface as an "extra". This means that Lion is better than Windows 8 in this respect. At least that's how I see it.

18. Giuly, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

macrumors 68040

Giuly

Fail. A) It's "Microsoft Windows 7", B) it's like people saying "I installed XP on my PC", which was actually pretty common. Microsoft being Microsoft, "Installing 7" sounds just wrong nowadays.

19. macrumors 6502a

kresh

My first thought upon seeing "Mac" dropped was that the day is soon coming when Apple will be a mobile company only with no desktops.

Apple could release OS X to be installed on Intel hardware from other manufacturers for us dinosaurs that still want a desktop while they concentrate on iOS for "Arm" iDevices and OS X Lion for "Arm" based notebooks.

20. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're reading too much into it. I never say that I want Mac OSX 10.6 or Mac OSX 10.7. Most people don't put the word mac in front of it, so why should apple

21. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

I agree with the thread started... just seems weird dropping the "Mac"... doesn't feel right!