Oh, come on.....THAT clearly isn't taken!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMacZealot, Jul 7, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm trying to register several aliases and names for my e-mail only accounts and I've tried so many things and Mac.com says it's taken but I've tried e-mailing them and all I get back is user unknown--returned mail slips! Why is this?

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

That's strange. Some companies have certain accounts set aside. Try something really long and see if it is taken. Like flipperbabies34 ;)

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I tried that and it's not taken. However, anything with a 777 is "taken". Maybe something has to do with Boeing's 777 and copyrights? I don't know.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's your address, isn't it? :p

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

It was mine for about two seconds to see if it was registered but deleted the instant it was processed. :p

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Don't they keep inactive users for a certain amount of time? They must not keep them forever, because I tried one that I had long ago on a trial account when I got my new one setup and it said it was available. I wondered if it remembered me, but apparently not. Maybe there are some people who made accounts, then forgot about them after the trial ended or they cancelled and they just haven't been taken out yet.

You could always call or email Apple. ;)

7. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I thought that maybe there might be something with copyrights and stuff, but, see, I like e-mail addresses starting with char (my nickname) and then a triple digit number, and so many of those are "taken". There has to be a reason why. Maybe I will e-mail the .mac team and see what they say.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think solvs may be onto something...

Once you create a .Mac account, even after it expires, you may continue to use that name (mainly for iChat), but the email address is no longer valid. ...I think.

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's right! The iChat name still works! But there's something going on with these 777 addresses.....char777@mac.com, charlie777@mac.com....hmmmmm...

10. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

it's definately not boeing's 777 plane lol

have you tried 888,444,etc?

when my friend registered on his, it took him like 5 tries before he could get a unique one

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I have 888 now, but I really wanted 777. :( .Mac Team hasn't replied yet, I'll let you know what they say.

12. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

.Mac Support replied. Here's what they said:

Subsequently, I've found it very hard to find char777 as an AIM address, too.