Oh cr*p i haven't been putting the lid on my imac properly..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fredstar, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I seriously recommend all iMac G5 owners out there to check that the top of their imac is properly 'in' and does not have any gaps along the top or top sides.
    Maybe i am a complete idiot but i thought all this time that my imac had its back on properly and i have opened it and closed it a lot because i have been having real problems with my Extreme card.
    Anyways - the back wasn't on properly and hasn't been for 2 weeks or so. When i put it back on today after installing a new Extreme card (Apple support is great) i realised surely the top is not meant to have all the gaps showing and that the edges on the top corners were not aligned - before i assumed it was some sort of extra venting. And true enough i went to the manual to double check the way they showed how to put the back on. They mentioned angling it in as i did before but then realised the top gaps were meant to slot into the top gaps after about 20 mins i finally managed to slot it in.
    I hope to god i haven't cause any damage to the lower half as obviously more strain would be on that part. It seems now the imac is performing better..the buzzing has gone (?) and obviously the Extreme works perfectly now and the fans are quieter.
    So anyone else stupid enough to have their back of their imac on properly? I would encourage everyone to check :p
    I bet i am the only one..

2. iJoe macrumors member

My Apple Authorised reseller, KRCS, didn't put the back on my iMac when they added RAM when I first got it. I noticed it almost immediately though, and managed to slot it in straight away, if it took you 20 minutes, perhaps some damage has been done. :eek:

3. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Ok slight exaggeration on the 20 mins but it didn't want to fit in properly for a while..it does now and everything seems fine (better) with it properly in.
    It is an easy mistake to do really, as i said the top gaps look as if it is extra ventilation

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I must admit that closing the cover seems easier than it is....

But every Apple Authourized reseller should notice the gap! It should be normal that you check yourself on these things.
    The Rev A - D iMacs were also liable to being closed carelessly. :rolleyes:

5. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Indeed! I had to install RAM on one of those at work while the customer was waiting. It was a bit embarrasing to ask a co-worker how it should be put back. because I didn't really want to give it any pressure because of thinking it might crack :p Well, I shoul've pushed it a bit. Better be careful with this stuff, I think.