Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
My comp acted funny today till the point of a shut down, some programs were deleted like itunes, I fixed the problem, it was a damn virus, lucky i saved my playlist somewhere else, is there any way I can get my songs back, what will happen if i connect my ipod back to my computer will itunes delete all the songs? or will they be recorded onto the itunes?

PLEASE HELP!!! I had 500 songs on it and a lot of hrs playing around, :confused: :( :mad:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't plug the iPod in if it's set to automatically update because it will delete all of your music unless the iPod recognises it as a new library in which case it will ask first.

If you've saved your playlists, you should be able to reimport them once you've reimported all of your music.

You can look into getting a program that rips music from your iPod to your PC but I recommend you delete your library on the PC first so that you don't get the issue I was talking about before whereby you'll lose everything.

Edit: maybe check something like this out, however, I haven't personally used this and so I'm not sure how well it works. Also, see if you can see your music on the iPod (when it's eventually plugged in) by making Windows "Show hidden files". I can't remember if this will let you see all of your music or not.

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
i just tried to import the playlist that i saved and it wont import it, it says it can find the songs, what now? I guess its not up to a program, huh? do you have any clue as to a program?

anyone!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I edited my post to give you a link. :)

I don't think the playlists will be able to be imported until you have an identical library in your music folder.

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hey Thanx ALOT!!! I'll try it and see how it works

oh what thing thought, wont itunes turn on if i plug in my ipod?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yes it will. So, go into your music folder and delete all the iTunes files. This probably isn't necessary but do it as a precaution so that iTunes will know that the iPod and iTunes are not connected. Then, it'll take you through the usual rigours of asking if you want the library to update on the iPod. Don't let it (you'll lose everything), just quietly slip away into Explorer and run this app (hopefully it's a good one) and get your music library restored. Once it's all in iTunes, you can go back and let the two of them sync away. :)

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hey thanx Man! this is why im getting an ibook, PC sucks!!

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
hm...how about if i delete itunes and then reinstall it again? think that would work the same way?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't need to reinstall iTunes, that's probably overkill. But you can if you want to.

Yeah, the same thing's happened to me on PCs before. I've got an iBook now and I can tell you, they are so much more reliable it's not funny. You'll love it.

Good luck getting the tunes back. Post back with any progress or hurdles. :)

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
oh hey it didnt work, I dont have that kind of memory on my comp to use that program, so Im trying it this way:

I have a question though

"If your computer’s hard drive crashes but you own an IPod, all music is not lost. After you resuscitate your hard drive, connect the IPod to your PC and find it as a hard drive in Windows Explorer: Select Tools, Folder Options and the View tab, and turn on ‘Show Hidden Files’ in Folder Options. Copy the ‘Music’ folder from the ‘IPod_Control’ folder. Open ITunes and import the folder into its library, and your PC will sing again. Mac users will need to use a utility like the $10 IPodAccess."

I found all my songs on my ipod, but once again wont all my songs be delete once i connect the ipod to the computer and itunes turns on? how am I supposed to then import the folder?

thanx again

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I thought the hidden items thing would work. I haven't tried it myself though.

Anyway, it's the same deal to get the iPod to not update with iTunes. Just delete the files in your iTunes folder (usually in My Music by default) and then when you plug it in, iTunes will ask you to register it but ignore it, go to Explorer and drag your music across onto your hard drive somewhere. From there, reimport it, reregister your iPod and then re-sync your music.

Alternatively, uninstall iTunes before doing anything as a fail-safe to make sure it doesn't erase your iPod's songs. Then, once the files are safely on your PC's hard drive, reinstall iTunes. :)

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
:D I got my songs back thanx, thankfully I had my friends external drive so i could download the songs there cuz otherwise I wouldnt have been able to do since I didnt have enough space on my comp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.