Oh Crap!! I spilled.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Astral Cars, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I know there are a bunch of threads like this, but I need some help quick. I just spilled some stuff on my PB. It's an Anti-Fungus liquid solution, it says the active ingredient is Isopropyl Palmitate although somewhere else it says the active ingredient is Undecylenic Acid. The good news I suppose it it just spilled a bit over the right speaker by the power button and some dripped over the side on the DVI port. It was probably about a tenth of an ounce. Is there important stuff under there that will get screwed up by this? Any tips are much abliged.

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Does it look like any got inside? Lift up the keyboard and make sure it's completely dry underneath. I would wait a few hours before starting it up again.

My $.02.

3. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It may be too late, but obviously, unplug the machine and/or remove the battery.

When cleaning, it is important to invert the machine/ keyboard so as you wipe it up you are not forcing the liquid down further into the works.

If you suspect liquid got into the keyboard, do not wait a couple of hours for it to dry, wait several days before reapplying power. It is not the liquid so much as the electricity that will arc through the liquid. If the liquid leaves a residue when dried (sugary, salty or otherwise) then sinple drying won't be enough, it will have to be cleaned.

5. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it didn't get into the keyboard, I think it just stayed over the speaker, if it goes through those holes or in around the power button is there anything it could get to that would cause a problem?

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

the chemical involved is alcohol and palm oil.The alcohol is fine palm oil is gooey but shouldn't conduct electricity.Best leave it a day or so then try it.If you confident to do so strip and carefully remove gunk.Good luck.

7. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

Well so far the worst thing to come of this is that it ruined my 25 and a half day uptime, but I would be incredibly thankful if that ends up being the worst part. So if it just went in the speaker grill will I be okay? Is that gooeyness going to ruin anything or cause problems? It is a bit thick and syrupy (not to say it's sweet.) Actually I think what is currently bugging me the most is that the stuff smells terrible and now it just smells bad in here. I suppose as a trick I can tell people to smell the corner of my PB. Jeez, I'm just rambling here, sorry. I hope the little guy's okay....

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

One thing I like about the iBook is that in the event of a spill, one can take the keyboard completely off in a matter of 20 seconds and is about to purchase another one and easily install it if the old one cannot be recovered.

9. Switzermac macrumors regular

Take the battery out and dont but it back in untill you are cerain its all out.

10. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's a day later and I still haven't turned it on. The surface of the computer appears clean as it has for quite sometime however if you wipe your finger across it your finger gets the oily residue on it. Is this a sign it's not dry inside or that there will be a problem or should I just try turning it on again?

11. jmufellow macrumors regular

Yikes!

12. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

So I just started it back up and it seems to be working fine, however, when it started up it warned me that the date was set to before 2001 and when I checked it was 2005. THere were also a few recovered files in the trash, they were songs that were also in there proper location. Are those things signs of problems I might have?

13. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

As for the time problem, it just sounds like the battery inside the computer for keeping the clock running when turned off may be flat - something that happens after some time. How old is your PowerBook?

The recovered files that are in the trash you don't need to worry about. Ever since upgrading to Tiger, I have had a few of them in there...

aussie_geek

14. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

The computer is only about a month and a half old. That battery should still be good. Is it hard to replace? Is there a good way to test it to see if it's still good?

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah you might have shorted that battery out with the liquid. I'm not sure it's user replaceable though (happy to be proven wrong :)). Does it happen if you shut it off and start it up again? That's probably the best way to test it...