Oh Crap..... SuprNova?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Dec 27, 2004.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Is it gone for good? I need some new sites... I can't ask that here can I? I know how some people feel about this site, but also know alot of people used it. :confused: Crap on a stick, I say.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Almost all of them got shut down the other day. 123Torrents came back the other day under a new domain and their own new server.

jon

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

This is the second time I saw you mention 123Torrents and the second time I tried signing up with them (can't look at torrents otherwise).
    Both times I have been unsuccessful in getting into the login page. I click on the sign up link and keep on getting to a NOT FOUND page. What's wrong with them?

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'm surprised that it took them this long to shut it down...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just as well there are plenty of alternatives :p

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha- for sure. i just mean that if people were serious about curbing illegal sharing, there are better ways to go about it than suing individuals...

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Suing individuals acts as a scare deterrent and shutting down major hubs has been pretty effective! Sure they will always be sites available but this is definitely a weakness for bittorrent.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i dont think suing is a very effective scare deterrent... just my opinion anyhow... i think shutting down the bittorrent sites is WAY more effective

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm sure it is more effective but both in tandem just shows how determined and worried the MPAA are about file sharing.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I use Suprnova for illegal reasons, yes, but with good purpose.

Games and Music:

I'll download music I'm interested in. If I like it, I'll delete it and go out and buy the album. If I don't like it, obviously, I won't keep it on my HD, taking up space.

I own an eMac. It's not good for games. If there's a Mac game I'm interested in, I'll download it to see how well it runs on my computer. It it runs well, I'll go out and buy it. If it runs like molasses on a cold winter day...well obviously I won't play it, and it definitely won't stay on my HD if I'm not gonna play it.

11. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Which to me, makes a lot of sense. As a lifelong musician, I'm a huge fan of downloading, etc. I've been able to sample a lot of music that I never would've heard otherwise (which led me to purchase). The reality is, people who steal music, software are going to no matter what. Limiting the technology or suing people isn't going to change anything, the technology will continue to progress - and new ways of doing the same thing will come along. I actually download a lot of stuff that I own, because I get the urge to hear something on my iPod or whatever RIGHT NOW - and have like 500 + cd's. It's actually so much faster just to fire up LimeWire while I'm sitting at my computer and get what I want to hear quickly, rather than find the CD, import to iTunes, and put on my iPod. Not to mention I'm not really interrupted with the work I'm doing. I think file sharing is wonderful...

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I found a bunch of old TV shows that you can't see anywhere there. That was pretty much my only reason to BT. If I want to see a new movie, I'd just rent to go to the movies or watch it on one the hundreds of cable channels we get. Same with newer TV shows. Well, here's hoping they start releasing more old stuff on DVD.