Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
hey everybody. a couple of nights ago i cleaned out the inside of my powermac, nothing crazy. but when i closed it all up and tried to fire it up the usb wouldn't work and the monitor wouldn't come on. i know the monitor is fine because i tried it on another pc. any ideas and please dont say logic board crash. thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Need more information in order to help

What Mac model is it?
How old is it?
Do you get the startup chime, but the monitor won't come on?
What happens if you reset the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R at startup, hold down till it chimes three times and then release)
If it's over 4 years old, have you replaced the PRAM battery?

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

lowam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
its a digital audio g4. now it wont even power up. i guess the power supply is totally shot. do i have to replace the ps with the same exact one that came out of it or can i use one from a different powermac? are there other ones that are compatible? can the ps go out slowly over time or do they usually just go poof? sorry for all the questions. im a mac newby. thank you for your help.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
You might have zapped the mobo with some static, in which case youre not in good shape.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Google it, always good.

I have not read this through, but it potentially seemed useful:
TidBITS PSU Replacement

I just skimmed it and it appears to be more appropriately related to replacing some drive PS or something...but it could prove useful, not sure...hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.