Oh dear God....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Nov 22, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Please let there be wireless at the house where my family is gathering in the mountains....there's Internet and computer, but lord, I need Internet to survive a week wtih these people.

I know I am a hell-bound sinner, but please lord. Wireless.

Just. For. This. Week.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ah, my child, there WILL be wireless, but you won't have a password :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well then I'll either plow through an assload of wine or be really good at Applescript by the end of the week. Haven't decided on a backup plan.

I hate the holidays. :rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think there are a LOT of us who do, and our numbers are growing.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

mmm... wireless... one of the things i love about going to my folks' place... something great about watching one game on television, while checking scores on the laptop :D

can't say that i hate the holidays, but definitely going home with a few extra bottles or red... makes things go a little more smoothly ;) :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Perhaps they won't be as bad as you expect...

If there is internet, can't you take an Airport Express and make it wireless?

Obviously in the UK, we just do Christmas and New Year but I must confess to enjoying them. Perhaps it's because I live so far from the family for most of the year but I enjoy seeing them all and spending some time; although I will confess to helping Mum set up her wireless network so that I can escape when needed!

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I should explain.

My dad remarried in 87 after my mother died. My step mother has 7 daughters. Each of them is married, 2.5 kids average each. All in one house. Like 30 people.

Now these people have been together forever and are like a pride of lions - nice enough, but it's hard to wedge yourself into the group, so I always feel like the odd man out. What does a gay man who hangs out of airplanes with a camera for a living talk to a father of three about? I don't do sports, don't have any kids and I don't have an MBA (all of the husbands have masters degrees).

They sit around for HOURS and play cards. I'm proficient at Go Fish! and have no desire to learn to play. I tried a few times to play with them, but they have a tendency to yell when you make a wrong move, or do something out of turn (nothing harsh, just competitive).

So, I'm taking my iBook, my shuffle is loaded with my Web site I am working on and I bought a couple of Applescript books to take along. I also am bringing my entire camera rig, so I can go out and about and take some pictures. I also have an article to write, so I should be able to stay busy. Oh, and iPod, definitely iPod.

It's gonna be weird without dad there this year. :(

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Whenever I go somewhere that I'm not sure if there is Wireless or not, I pack my airport base station :cool:

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I should just wait till the mall opens and get an Airport Express, but it opens at 10:00 and I have to get going....blap.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why go? What's the motivation for you at this point?
    Asking seriously, BTW

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It will be tough... but hopefully they'll realise that you'll be hurting and be considerate of that. I'm not sure that taking lots of books and putting on headphones is the best way to integrate with the pride though.

Out of 30 people, none are interested in seeing/hearing about what you do? I'd be fascinated (and I know my younger cousins would be) in hearing stories from a man who hangs out of aircraft. Any of the kids old enough that you could show them a little about photography and try to spark their interest in the subject? Any of the kids old enough that showing them how to do anything might be entertaining - you know, you could be the favoured 'fun' uncle. Get them writing/presenting a play for the rest of the family and show them how to do stuff on the Mac. Course... how much fun that is depends on how bratty they are... and your tolerance level.

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well strictly speaking, they are all the family I have left - dad died in August suddenly, and my grandmother two weeks after....I guess I feel an obligation to try and participate with the family a bit more.

My motivation? Dad would have liked me to at least give being a part of that family a shot, I guess.

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahaha- sounds a lot like my familly, though i have to confess i enjoy the time together- not often that everyone gets together in one spot.

although, there are always few members of the bunch that manage to make things uncomfortable...

good luck with finding some internet, i'm sure i'll be around on macrumors at some point over the holidays :D

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I just need to give it my best shot, share as best I can and when I need it - retreat to my room or the couch.

Gonna leave here as soon as this load of laundry is done. 4-hour drive in the rain. Yay! ;)

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

drive safely!! had to take some friends to BWI last night... traffic was TERRIBLE!

16. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I'm going to hit 695 right in the middle of rush hour. My plan was to get to the gym at 5 and leave there at 6:30, but the snooze button looked really good this morning.

Pardon my whining, and thanks for the support - I'll report later on!

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no worries, keep us posted...

deep creek lake, right? haven't been there in aaaaaaaaaages... suppoose we aren't getting near enough rain to really worry about any low lying flooding...

and you're leaving from annapolis? 695 might not be too bad by the time you get there... fingers crossed...

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, from Annapolis - I oughta be alright. Thinking about being grudgingly lazy and stopping by the Honda dealership and having them swap my wipers for me, though. ;)

Yep, Deep Creek Lake, nice big place on the water. Should be....uh...nice. Yeah! :p

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i never remember that i need new wipers until it rains... go figure...

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm visiting my parents - and thats always fun getting online with dial up on a Dell. Although this trip we'll be staying with a friend since my brothers family is staying there, so we'll have wireless this time around.

I will say visiting there always makes me appreciate what I have, even if I don't have a fast, reliable computer anymore.

D

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hey iGary
    Strength, man. I just survived a 5 day reunion with inlaws, same deal, my wife's cousin remarried, 4 step children, 12 step grandchildren -- so these are all at least inlaw plus 1 degree of cousinship away, most of them inlaw^2 x 3 degrees. I'm probably closer related to Jeb Bush. :eek: No Internet (%^&&=*=d if I'm gonna pay $3.00 a minute at the hotel's 'business centre')

My strategy was to beg off yet another dinner and watch college football, which I hadn't done for 25 years. Saw a couple of good games - USC-UCLA tied up in the last 11 seconds and then double overtime. Wow.

I found a couple of the relatives who were genuinely interesting to talk to, and stuck to them. 75% of them were too wrapped up in their own things to bother with the relatives from the colonies.

o'course, I came back with a cold after 12 hours of travelling each way, so I'm posting on MR at 5 in the #^!&&!^& morning cause I can't sleep... Oh well, only 3 more hours before leaving for work...

(take your vitamins)

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I hope things work out for you, iGary. I think it's great that you are honoring what your Dad would have liked by trying to make a go of it with your extended family. Especially when your heart isn't quite in it. Usually, when I prepare myself to "live through" a situation, it's not as bad as I think it will be. Kind of like being dragged to a movie you expect to suck. With low expectations comes the potential for a little upside, no?

I can't believe I've lived in the Baltimore area all my life and have never gone to Deep Creek Lake. I hear it is beautiful out there. One of these days...
    :)

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I hear ya...whenever I have to go somewhere I really don't want to be, I usually bring my laptop and pray they have wireless. Usually they don't :eek:

24. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Dear fellow introvert,

The solution to your boredom and connectivity is - KIDS!!! Play with the kids! Be a kid! Show off your Apple to them, let them play games, take pictures of them and print them out - and encourage the silly faces! Take them outside (away from the card table) and show them the outdoors. Let them take pictures, show them nature. Play board games - checkers, and you'll be surprised how fast young ones learn chess! Play Go Fish - get some Uno cards on the way and play that with them (get two decks and combine them, makes for a longer and more fun game). Oh yea, the iPod?! They'll all want one for Christmas when you show them yours. Play play play!!!

EDIT: who put this hell-bound sinner thought into your head???

25. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, that's the best advice I've heard yet. That's how I get through the holidays with family...