Oh dear NOT a mac fan!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Mar 18, 2005.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004
    This chap is about 18 and I think he has a problem . . . .this is what he sent me (err must look up "neophyte")

"HP and Sony's customer care suck worse than Apple's. Could have told you that years ago

Compared to IBM and Dell however, Apple look like a cheap taiwanese cloner shop..............

.......Apple have the worst disk wiping policy of them all.

As goes hanging around on Mac forums, they're usually full of neophyte ****(censored by me) who think the sun shines out of the arse of Steve Jobs, despite the fact that during 1986-1996 they wanted him dead (NeXT)

I have my reasons for hating Apple. They're varied, layered and deep. But they're all valid. Charging for OS updates is one of them, doing faker opensource tricks like Darwin is another. Pulling tricks such as the Uninorth 2/2.1 differences to bugger up Linux on Mac's is another. I could go on for years

They make poor quality hardware. They make a slow OS. They charge BIG money for them. And they get users who use them because they look shiny."

I actually thought this guy was ok but he really seems to have a problem with Apple/

I don't care I'm very pleased with my shiny box pn the shape of a PowerBook - even more pleased that Apple are sending me a New one!
  2. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2004
    Neophyte =

# A recent convert to a belief; a proselyte.
    # A beginner or novice: a neophyte at politics.

his argument fails here for a start. I've gone off him already!
  3. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I think he's thinking of catamite.
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Isn't this just an attempt to try another Mac vs Wintel debate...?

I think we've been over most of those points before, but just for the H*ll of it:
    - Apple was just voted best at customers relations and hardware quality
    - Apple actually almost went bankrupt in the decade Jobs was in "exile" (actually Microsoft had to invest $150M in Apple to prevent this), and it was his rehiring along with OS X (which is a direct descendant of NeXT) and the iMac, which made Apple a rich, debtfree company today...
    - Apple does not charge for OS updates, just new versions, Mac OS X 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and soon (I hope) 10.4, just like Microsoft's, Windows 95, NT, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003 and, eventually, Longhorn
    - Don't be fooled by the Megahertz Myth
    - The Mac mini, recently released should end the "Macs are so expencive" whining, even though the iBooks should have done that a long time ago
    - Microsoft has three times higher profit than Apple per dollar turnaround...

PS! Neophyte Edit: too much typing, I see this was covered already... ;)
  5. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Yup. A trap that haters fall into all too easily.

Plus, darwin IS open source, I think this cat wanted Aqua thrown in for free too.