Oh, Exquisite agony!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arkitect, Jan 12, 2007.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So... yesterday I ordered my first Intel Mac — mac pro refurb — to replace my G5 iMac…

The delivery leadtime from Apple Online Store was 8 days. Fine, I thought. Leaves me plenty of time to order RAM from Crucial, 24" from Dell etc…

This morning I get notification that it has shipped — less than 24 hours!! I ordered after 3:00pm yesterday and UPS delivered just after 1:00PM today. Needless to say I am pleased as I can possibly get — but I have to wait 'till next week sometime for the 24" monitor to be delivered.

The Mac Pro is in Perfect condition though. All the clear plastic stickers are still on it… the keyboard, mouse etc all still sealed. And the case — inside and out — is absolutely blemish free. And all for £250 less than the regular price. (Of course will it start up… Ha!)

So here I sit with this awesome machine and no screen and a whole weekend ahead. :eek: I guess it serves me right for ordering a Dell monitor :p
    Pity I can't plug into my iMac G5 and use it as a screen.

Oh, the agony! :(

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Have fun waiting! lol

I hope this happens with my iMac...only supposed to come like next week or the week after!

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

get an adaptor and run it off your tv!!! i wouldn't survive a weekend without playing with the new toy!

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Ahh! that sucks. I couldn't survive the weekend like that. Maybe you can find a CRT at a garage sale for like $10 to use temporarily.

5. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

Unfortunately my iMac is my TV :eek:

6. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

I was thinking of buying a cheapish 17" tomorrow and then returning it within the 7days "buyers' remorse" period… But I'd feel really bad about that.
    Of course desperate times call for desperate measures. ;)
    Hummm…

7. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Then I suggest you spend some quality time with your baby (iMac) watching TV.
    :)

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I guess you can just sit there a stare at it which won't be fun. Hope you monitor comes soon

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

How do you receive TV? Does that have an analog video port? If so, you could get an adapter and use it to set up Apple Remote Desktop (System Preferences...->Sharing) on the Mac Pro, then disconnect it and use Chicken of the VNC to connect via the iMac. Not wicked fast, but, over ethernet, pretty decent, and you could go full-screen.

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sounds like a good idea, if somewhat sneaky :cool:

FJ

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

buying a lcd for a weekend would most likely come with a restocking fee...