Oh god please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dogday, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dogday macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Liverpool - UK
    All my music has been deleted off my hard drive., I was messing around and was trying to create a partition on my external Lacie 160gb drive using disk utility, I created a partitio map and split the partition, however it now appears that all my information has gone, I take it there's no way to get ths info back? PLEASE HELP :(
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    god wont help you now bwahah.

But anyways unless you want to spend a few grand from an actual company to try and retrieve the data i say its a lost cause.

Unless you have all your music on an iPod
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Ouch. Appears you'll have to spend the endless hours to re-rip from CDs again.
  4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    You may want to try an app called Data Rescue , it worked when I have messed up my diretories so bad the not even Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro could help. I don't know if it will work once you have partitioned your hard drive. In any case, chose the extended or one of the longer scans so it will dig deeper. Those files should be still there, their directories are gone now however.
  5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    You always lose everything on a drive when you re-partition it.
  6. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    You may be right but it never hurts to try.
    On the other hand, files are not zeroed out just info wherethat file could be found on the disk. This why it takes only of couple of seconds to partion a hard drive. This app (Data Rescue) is able to find files that where deleted by accident, recover files form drives that won't mount.
    In my case, a had invalid B-tree which prevented my drive from mounting and I was still able recover most of my files.

This app reads can read each block of data on disk which I think is independent from partitioning, meaning those blocks never change position. Well, unless you reformat your HD with different file system, but this is a different story.
    Though I could be wrong.
  7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
  8. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    What??? (oh well I guess i'm no better, i deleted my account by accident once...)

You can easily create partitions without deleting files. Tiger installer is a good example.

However it's alway a good idea to know HOW to do it BEFORE you start, and to keep a backup.

Depending on what software you used (I hope you weren't mucking about in the terminal trying to make a partition...) it may be possible to recover data. Keep in mind that whether or not you stopped the partition making prematurely is a pivot factor in your chances of recovery.

You can't make thing worse at this point, so go ahead and try data-rescue.

TIP: use the latest version
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I third the concensus: Short of spending huge amounts of money on a recovery service, Data Rescue is your only hope. It might not work, but it's saved my bacon once (years back) on a drive that was completely dead to every other utility on the market at the time.
  10. j37V macrumors member

Jan 27, 2008
    Boomerang works too.

i once erased the disk without any zeros and formated it (guess i was lucky because i didnt know files are not supposed to appear again after erasing and formatting). Downloaded boomerang (free version) took bout 4 or 5 hours to get 150GB worth of pics movies and music. the free version lets you look inside the drive for any files (just to make sure ur not gonna spend all the money for nothing) and after paying and registering you get your files back.
  11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
  12. j37V macrumors member

Jan 27, 2008
    sorry dude :p was browsing and i just thought i give some more info for future users

hahaha NOT

LOL i saw the date after posting so... sorry!