Oh gosh I'm stupid -- Migration Assistance help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ryvius, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

May 4, 2004
    I'm so horribly sorry for posting this. I've gone through the search index for migration assistance help but I'm still coming up blank...

I'm trying to do a quasi-clean transfer. Meaning, I want to reinstall all my old apps (CS2, Office, etc) and not transfer them. At the same time, I want my old Mail back and my sticky notes and stuff.

However, every time I try Migration assistant and walk it through the four steps, I only seem to get a "migrate all" option which I absolutely do not want. So I've been target copying my old documents and stuff...but I can't figure out how to restore my sticky notes and get my Mail back.

Anyone have a solution to this problem for a lamebrain like me?
  2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure about Stickies, but Mail is stored in ~/Library/Mail so I'd recommend just copying across that folder entirely. Unfortunately I am not sure if the Mail folder also holds your account settings but it seems likely. Ultimately there's one way to find out...

On looking, I suspect that Stickies is held in a file called ~/Library/StickiesDatabase. Copy that and place it in the ~/Library folder on your new laptop and I expect you are done.

Anyway, I'm expecting to be doing the same thing as you in a couple of weeks time so I wish you the best of luck. Regardless, the moral of this post is that it's a good idea to be familiar with what is held in the ~/Library folder since it's a dumping ground for settings and preferences, plus sometimes actual data files, for a lot of applications.
  3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    I am not at my mac right now but i know for mail you will have to move a couple folders and a plist file.

The plist file is in the Preferences folder in your home library (i think). The folders you will have to move are in the library home folder also i believe.

Adn for the stickies just check for stuff in the home library folder and in the preferences folder.
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Why not just copy your entire ~/Library, or better yet, your entire home directory?