Oh, have you been to London town?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ColoJohnBoy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I have. Thrice. As a matter of fact, I'm here right now. Sitting at an easyinternetcafe off Trafalgar Square, waiting for a candlelight concert at St. Martin's. AND I saw Harry Potter not two hours ago. How should I say.. brilliant! I think I still like the third film best, but this one was truly fantastic. Even some naysayers in the audience were impressed. So yeah. Good stuff. I'm running out on time here, but if any London-ish MacRumors people want to go for a pint, just send me a PM and I'll hollaback. Later!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

One trip... for 10 days a couple of summers ago during the crazy heat wave that swept across Europe (after the trip in London, my family continued on for another 2 weeks stopping at major cities throughout Europe).

I love London.

I really want to go back. Maybe live there for awhile. But even if that wasn't/isn't possible in the future, I'd love love love love to go back just to visit again. Plus, I'd hopefully get a chance to meet some MR folks over there. :D

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I love London. I've been there maybe 5 times in my life, the last time 2 years or so ago. Can't wait to take my wife there.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I've been to London several times. Absolutely love it! The four months I spent studying abroad in England were the best of my life.

Given the chance, I'd move to London (or just about anywhere in the U.K.) without even a second thought.

ColoJohnBoy, if you've got a free day, take the tube to King's Cross Station and catch a train up to Grantham (about a one hour train ride north of London). I studied abroad there at the English Manor the university I graduated from owns. It's called Harlaxton Manor. It's absolutely amazing. It was the house used in the 1999 version of "The Haunting."

More info: www.ueharlax.ac.uk

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was there today...in fact I go there 5 days a week. ;)

I'm not a city kind of person but as cities go London's OK. It has it's really crappy things like too many people (bet you haven't been near Oxford Circus Tube on a thursday evening!) and arsey drivers but it can be pretty cool. Even though I live less than an hour away from the center I still like to stay over in town occasionally (Premier Travel Lodge in Southwark - I like blandness ;) ). It's nice to know you haven't got a train to catch...

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And I've only just got home too. Bugger. Still, the city is looking beautiful tonight... and that's not on the account that that I've had a couple of pints.

7. Subliving macrumors member

Subliving

London is like a second home to me, I'm there visiting friends and relatives all the time. It has to be my favourite place in the world.

The binary opposites you can experience there are incredible. You can be at Canary Wharf one minute, then hop on the tube, ten minutes later you're in Camden Town, or Piccadilly. Wow, what a place.

Subliving

8. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I lived in London for 6 years, absolutly love the place.
    I left 2 years ago, but have been back 3 or 4 times.
    Still miss it, but I didn´t think of it as a good place to raise children. Now I´ve reached that stage in life, so we decided to leave for Norway. No regrets (almost);)

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Grass is always greener..... on the other side of the Atlantic

So long as I have friends and family there, the UK will always be home, however working in London (commuting which always sux) for 5years and 8-years in Milton Keynes before that - totally jaded me, that and house prices were going nutts all over the country.

Hence my allowing my Canadian wife to drag us to BC, Canada, which I may add is a fantastic place to live. :)

Returning for first time in two years, for Xmas/New Years - ah, I can just feel the dirt in the air and see the traffic on the M1/M25 :rolleyes:

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

It's just one of the coolest cities in the world. I love it because everytime I go, it usually means I'm off for a while so I get to have a laugh!

I think we should arrange an official Mega-Macrumors London Meet-up :cool:

Oh, that'd be cool.

11. link92 macrumors 6502

Been there over 10 times and I'm only 13 years into my life :)

Advantage of living just 500 miles north of London, not in North America.

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Aberdeen?

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    OUt of time in Easyinternet or in London? I'm just home after seeing Harry Potter ;)

Let me know if you've got free time and I'll head into town and grab a drink with you. I'll be in town on Sunday for sure.

14. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

ME TOO!! For the second time! I saw it once at 1:10 P.M. and just got out of the 11:50 P.M. showing. It was brilliant. I think the third film is still my favorite, but this is a close second. My only complaint is it felt rushed, in that some parts could have a bit more explanation and elaboration. Brilliant, nonetheless. Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson kick serious ass. And I have a wee crush on Viktor Krum ;)

Let's see, I leave for Paris on Sunday morning and arrive back in London Tuesday afternoon around five. If you're around and available, I'd love to get together. I need some sovenir shopping advice. :D

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I just returned from London on Wednesday. It was my second time there, the first was 20 years ago so things have changed a little in the interim. It's pretty incredible but way too big for me to want to live there, Cambridge however....

16. link92 macrumors 6502

Aberdeen is more than 500 miles.

Edinburgh is 463 miles IIRC.

You're getting nothing more specific than that from me :)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

exchange student 1985...university of london...but i spent time doing other stuff instead of studying

jamming with english musicians who went to the school
    hitting music stores
    indian restaurants
    hyde park with ice cream and cadbury flake
    taking the tube to nowhere in particular
    night life

18. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

We'll be headed to Portsoy to see my folks for Xmas/New Year - I'll wave as I pass by :rolleyes:

19. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

.... and did you check out how much Cannondale's were! :eek:

First thing I did when I arrived in Canada, bought a Gemini - it felt like a 1/2 price super-sale :cool:

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm in London now,its 2am and its bloody freezing.Baah I'm off to bed.:)

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Hahahahhahaa

One of the good things about living in the states, i suppose;) :D

Though we don't see as many of the nicer road bikes over here

22. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

There are too many mountains to play on here, to justify a road bike.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Oddly enough I have a Alan with alloy frame with glued alloy molded fittings and Campag record group set,I don't use it too much these days as London is a wee bit dangerous for cyclists,it cost me £200 in as new condition about 15 years ago.I believe the cafe Columbia team used pretty much the same bike on a couple of tours.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dundee! :eek: