Oh man, Dell FPW2005 for 397 dollars

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, May 14, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I can get a 20" Dell FPW2005 flat screen this weekend (promos on the internet) for 397 dollars shipped. The screen is the friggin' same screen as in the apple cinema display. Even with educational discount, that's a 350 dollar difference between the Apple 20" cinema display and the Dell, and it's the same screen. I'm buying this to go with my new 15" pbook. why on earth would i want to spend another 350 for the same monitor?

2. jessearl macrumors member

Hey buddy,
    Ya' mind sharing this information with the rest of us?

Don't hog all the deals for yourself!

:)

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Here it is:

35% off code: S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL

$90 off purchases over $750: C621VV5TS$75M9

The combination totals $397

Hopefully a lot of you can take advantage of this, as the 35% off deal is limited to 2,000 uses.

One catch, you have to make another purchase to get the monitor up to $750. Just grab some CDs or something like that.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Im tryin.

I cant get it to work.

2005FPW

Add $1 for padding to $750, then apply:
    S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL for 35% off.
    C621VV5TS$75M9 for $90 off.

Total: $397 shipped.

what do you add for $1?

- Doc

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

You don't. It ends up being about $407. You have to buy another item for $10, because I couldn't find anyhing lower. Try adding
    this.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

7. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

That is an awesome deal. Either Dell is losing some money on that, or Apple is making a killing. Probably a little of both.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Dell probably just makes a little bit off of each, hoping to get a lot of people to bite. Apple on the other hand, has a large markup because their market is a lot smaller. Also people who buy them don't really care because it's an "Apple".

9. digitalturtle macrumors newbie

IT IS NOT THE SAME FRIGGIN SCREEN. THE PANELS ARE DIFFERENT. Same size, yes. Same resolution, yes. Same panel, no. I have both the Dell and Apple display and find the Apple display to be the better of the two. IMHO.
    The Dell is a good display I just find the Apple display to be more useful and pleasing to the eye. The Dell seems to be cranked up a bit to much.

Two cents.

10. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I've never seen a Dell display, but I love the way the Apple display looks, so I'm getting one Monday. (It's my birthday). I honestly don't care what the Dell looks like, I just know I like the Apple display. Also there will be a little white Apple on it instead of the word Dell. :D

11. ramuman macrumors regular

ramuman

The panel is the exact same LG unit (read the Anandtech review). The build quality is world's apart. Of course, if its twice the difference in price apart is up to the buyer.

12. fuzzwud macrumors regular

not that i prefer eBay to buy expensive electronic items, but there's so many of these LCDs being sold on eBay. If you check the completed listing price, they're only going for $400-480 on eBay, new. I suspect that Dell is trying to get rid of these monitors. And I can't say that this is a very good deal if you're trying to resell on eBay.

13. digitalturtle macrumors newbie

If it's the same display then why are the specs different? Because it is a different display. Are they both made by LG? Yes probably. But just because Logitech OEMs the Apple Mouse/Keyboard whatever doesn't mean it's the same as the Logitech mouse.

14. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Read this. You're wrong.

16. supergod macrumors 6502

Yes, I concur. Completely wrong.

As far as which display is better, that answer would simply have to be the Dell. It has slightly better color accuracy. Which would I rather have? That would have to be the Apple... if they were both the same price. Let's see, Dell is half the price, has more inputs plus some nifty PiP and a height adjustable stand... what a competition!

Apple displays are very silly specimens...

17. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Displays are the same, the rest of the Dell monitor is built like a pig. If you read the same Anandtech article I did, the Dell monitor scored lower than the Apple cinema in color scales and intensity. The article also went as far as saying that Dell overexaggerated their specs in terms of image quality.

According to the article, one of the largest complaints received from consumers about the Dell 2005FPW that it had severe screen uniformity problems. Anandtech stated that it was a troublesome complaint as it points to poor construction or poor handling while being constructed.

The article also makes mention of low quality DVI video outputs and cables found in the monitor which has been causing image issues in terms of the monitor capturing and holding the DVI signal at 1680x1050 resolution.

Thanks goes to Capt. Underpants for providing that informative article.

You get what you pay for.

18. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Yeah, that article was quite good.

But the article does go to rather large lengths to say that the monitors are very, very similar, and to me, a 310 dollar price difference is quite something. You can buy a photopod with that money. You can buy a 300 set of headphones with that money. You can buy a 250gig external hard drive with that money.

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really don't want to get in to this whole Apple 20 vs Dell 20 again...but...

Even with the price drop on the Apple, it is still no where near the value of the Dell. The Dell is excellent, it does look good (what the hell is so ugly about a slim black bezel???), and has a fantastic picture quality, not to mention a far better warranty (Warranty : 3 year next busness day exchange :cool: ), and multiple inputs.

There is no way that aluminum case is worth the massive premium.

...IMO...:)

20. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You could also upgrade to a better display with that money, like, I dunno, a Apple 20" display maybe! :p

21. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Wow that changed my paradigm :eek:

22. atomwork macrumors regular

It's still an Apple™

Hi all, may be it is me that only think so, but to keep Apple as a premium computer brand for professionals that stands for and delivers constant innovation, design and perfection I assume that prices will always be higher then the competition. It's just comes with the territory.

I know it sounds silly for the guy that ain't got the cash for apples stuff but on the other hand I enjoy having a product that is for professionals and not affordable by anyone. The others can use coupons and savings to get a cheaper deal.. Hey, that's great. But please not ask apple to lowe their customer level. Stop bitching about it. You don't get B&O products for Kenwood prices ;).. They may be sound the same but don't look alike.. you know what I mean.

Cheers,
    D

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

B&O and Kenwood don't use essentially the same product then charge you ~double :rolleyes:

24. supergod macrumors 6502

Most of the uniformity problems were in the first year of monitors, the newer ones have no such problem. I compared my monitor to my friends Cinema Display, side by side mine looked a little bit better, not a huge difference, but noticable.