Oh man i Im nervous...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jul 12, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

I just went ahead and bought my first mac 12" powerbook.with the upgraded hd.I lost my job and now im kinda worried.Should i sell it and keep my pc.or sell my sony 17 monitor and pc.or should i sell and get an emac.OMG.im nervous happy scared etc. :eek:

2. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Bring your powerbook to the job interview, it'll make you look classy. ;)

Everything's gonna work out for you, don't worry about it. :)

4. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

You could cancel your order for now, and re-order when you have another job secured.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You could always cancel the order but i would sell the pc. Trust me, you will definatly appreciate selling the pc and keeping the mac. Then again you won't get too much money for a pc desktop unless it's like a $3000 computer. Evenso, i would still sell it and keep the mac. You won't be dissapointed

6. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok im calm.Should i get the ibook instead.It's my first Mac.

7. HarbV7.0 macrumors newbie

If you can afford the PB, get it. Don't settle on an iBook, you may regret it down the road. If you can't afford it right now, wait. Get a job and then get it. You've made it this far in life without a Mac, I think you can wait a little longer. Apple will still be there a month or 2 down the road.

ps- You could wait for a G5 PB. That way you'll have lots of time :D

8. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

well it's always in the last place you look

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well when u lose ur job cut costs, now i know macs are cheaper in the long run, but right now if ur pc is working for you just run with it as long as you can until you get a job then maybe get ur mac

sacrifice some things right now so you secure them in the future

10. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

LOL

Use the powerbook to look for a job online --- ditch the PC/LCD

11. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Sounds like you should be spending the money on other stuff. :eek:

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry to hear about the job loss.

Some piece of mind can be had by seeing if your could cancel the order.

You can always order when you get a new job. And hopefully that would be quickly.

13. soccerfan macrumors member

I'm feeling your pain.

I moved my whole family from South America to the US, hooked up with a great job, everything going fine.

Just when my wife get's her green card and we're finally settling in, the boss calls me inith NO WARNING whatsoever fires my ass. Totally out of the blue.

My wife can't even speak English, so I'm supposed to support my family on what?! And my degree is a BS in Anthropology!!

Talk about instant ulcer...

This was about 9 months ago. I sweated it out big time.

Bottom line is I put my ass in gear, took some tests, did some applications, worked my ass off...

I did really well on the GRE and LSAT and not only got into law school but was offered a great scholarship.

I'm starting back at Univ. Wisconsin in September on a *kick butt* scholarship to get a double degree in Public Policy and Law.

I'm much better off than I was...

AND I'm getting my student discount PowerBook (with Cram and Jam) on Friday! :) My first computer since my Rev. A G3 Tower (still running OS8.5!!)

Bottom line is:

1. You're not the only one.
    2. It'll work out.

Best to you.

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Unless you have a substantial Emergency Fund setup (which I hope you do) or have tremendous faith that your unemployment will be short lived... you have to cancel the order.

You need enough money to last you till you find work. If you have a functioning computer that allows you to update your resume and look for jobs.. don't go wasting money on a new luxury laptop. Will you be able to pay rent or the mortgage or car payments 3 months down the road? It would really suck to be homeless and sporting a 12" Powerbook... that's like 3 mortgage payments dude!

It's common sense my man.

15. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.I'll be fine.I just lost it for a minute and had to post it lol.Im going to work with my brother in law.My pc is fine it just has windows xp on it but other then that its ok.i still have some money to buy the powerbook or ibook:) i may sell the lcd and pc maybe.yeah i can imagine me homeless and holding a sign that says"will work for more ram"

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Wouldn't that be a graphic displayed on your PB screen?

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear about your new job, nyprospect. A good thing that family is there for a lift. I agree with others, now in the 21st century a Master's Degree is very important for success. The PowerBook should bring you great great joy.

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

You are exactly the kind of person America needs: someone who's willing to work for what they want to achieve. In fact a lot of native-born Americans could use some concept of that, too. Hope everything works out smashingly for you, and enjoy your Powerbook! :)

nyprospect: If you don't need the XP machine, sell it to finance the Mac. Unless the Mac purchase cuts into rent and other basic expenses, in which case cancel the order and get by. And good luck on the job hunt! :)

I am using a lot of smilies today. :)

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Which UW location??????

Are you going to be a TA?

20. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for your encouraging words.Well im ok with rent .Thats what familys are for ;) .I could swing the powerbook.But i worried about the screen .Im using a 17 inch lcd.I suppose i have to sacrifice it.I used to have a dell 266 mhz pll and i managed to get by with it.Im sure the pbook will kick butt.

21. soccerfan macrumors member

University of Wisconsin - Madison.

I won't be a TA this year (I don't think!!) but may very well be next year or the year after... why?!

As for being a native-born American... I, in fact, am! My wife, however, is not... and I myself am just getting back into the swing of the US - I've been overseas for 10 years.

22. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I couldn't agree more. Cost-cut like crazy and you'll be amazed at how much you waste when you've got the cash.

Then, when you've got a salary again you'll be better off with your newfound knowledge on how-to save money also, which leads to a bigger better Mac :)

I know it sounds stupid, but nows the time to consider switching electricity/water/gas/internet/tv/telephone providers, looking for a better mortgage etc. Also turning things off, not buying the most expensive food for the sake of it. There's the potential to save hundreds.

AppleMatt

23. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Well, then welcome back! ...didn't mean to make any assumptions I shouldn't have. :eek:

It's so true about the cost-cutting....when you really track every tiny little bit you spend, it's not the big bills that do you in, it's all the little incremental stuff. It's very easy to nickel-and-dime yourself to death.

24. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

I could'nt agree more.I had a good chuck of change in the bank.20 bucks here and 200 there, bam youre in a bind.Im may get the powerbook anyways.im going to see if i can get some money for my pc.