oh man, not another bluetooth mouse thread!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chubby Cox, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Chubby Cox macrumors member

so, within the next week or so, i'll be buying a new powerbook. i want to get a bluetooth mouse for it, and right now i'm leaning towards the apple one. a single mouse button really isn't a detriment to me, so i'm not too concerned about whichever mouse has 12 buttons, 3 scroll wheels and a drink holder. however, i was wondering somthing- i plan on taking the mouse around with me with the powerbook, and turning it off when not in use to conserve batteries. however, every time i turn it back on, do i have to set it up again, or will the powerbook automatically recognize it every time?

2. unixkid macrumors member

Get the apple mouse its PERFECT! i have used many BT mouses and there all pretty crapy but the apple BT mouse was perfect! its great. its got an on-off switch and GREAT battery life! plus the on-off switch covers the sensor and the mouse looks good and fits in ur pocket well too. u dont have to setup the mouse every time. its a one time thing. :)

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

yea, the apple mouse is probly perfect in everyway in terms of its own design. but there is just that one tiny problem - it's only one-buttoned. it's harder to work with a one button mouse/pad once oyu get used to the multi-button heaven.

the next best thing would be Macmice's The Mouse BT. it's slated for September if you can wait that long.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I really like the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Bluetooth mouse, but it doesn't have an on/off switch... it tries to "auto" conserve batteries, and it's a little less than ideal. great mouse though, but if you want to travel with it, i'd recommend the Apple one, or one of the ones mentioned above.

Either way, your mouse has something similar to an IP address hardcoded in, so your computer will recognize that specific mouse, once set up.

Lee Tom

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love the apple bt mouse

the on/off switch is great, the battery life is good, i would recommend getting recharble batteries though, but thats up to you

the mouse is a good weight and is very comfortable to use
    the one button really isnt all that bad

you set it up to work with your mac once, from then on it will work with no problem or additional set up, to get the mouse to work with your book after it has been off, all you have to do is click and wait maybe two or three seconds for it to be recognized by your mac

very simple and easy to use too
    definately recommend it

6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I was holding out for the Macmice mouse until yesterday when I went all out and got the BT mouse and keyboard. Very happy I did. I doubt that the macmice will actually release in Sept. The apple mouse is very very comfy in my hand. NIce product, I'd certainly say go for it.

p.s. I'm gonna get a mac mice mouse anyway when they're released- the BT mice hold their value pretty well- you can always ebay it.

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i tried the MX900 and it's perfect, except for one slight problem, the very mild, barely feel-able bumpiness. but it matters to me sicne i've been using a silky smooth MX700.

i ended up returning it, and getting a wired MS Intellimouse Explorer for 1/3 the cost. its tracking is perfect, and the buttons are easily configurable with Expose. didn't even use USB overdrive for it.

if you think the very mild bumpiness is tolerable, go for the MX900.

for now i'm gonna hold out for The Mouse BT. the guy promised me pre-orders will start by Sept 12. i would get the Apple mouse, except for one slight problem. one button only. i need the extra ones.

8. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Microsoft Mouse

I just got the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse yesterday and so far its a breeze. Had their older wireless version a while back and I really enjoyed the ergonomics of it then and I still do. It fits my hand perfectly, the mac mouse feels a little awkward to me, although its largely a personal call, try them both out for yourself. And I just have to have more than one button... the mac bt mouse would've driven me insane. As far as batteries are concerned, aside from being an annoyance when you have to replace them its not that big of an issue. If money for batteries is an issue then just get 4 rechargeable ones, when two are being used the other two are being charged, problem solved. And its not like the batteries are going to die every day. To me it seems that making a big deal about the lack of an on/off switch is mostly something that granted would be nice but its absence isn't really a big deal. Besides, if you are really concerned about batteries bite the bullet and get the Logitech mx900. Although I really have to give my support for the microsoft mouse, but of course try them all in your hand to see what fits best.

9. PeterD42 macrumors member

I am still a potential switcher and PB owner. Have been looking at several sites.
    Have seen a Radtech BT mouse mentioned.
    http://www.radtech.us/
    Anybody seen or used these?

10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

TRUST ME....

go with the apple bt mouse...it is amazing...so so smooth and very ergonomic... it slips in a pocket of a case for your powerbook ( i recomend the incase from the apple website..cheep and effective) there really is no other coice...

11. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Does anybody know if the MacMice BT Mouse will come in silver?

12. encro macrumors 6502

encro

I have the Microsoft Optical BT mouse also. It's a good mouse but the batteries only seem to last a little over 2 weeks because of no ON/OFF switch. I'd recommend getting some rechargeable batteries to reduce the cost which I haven't done yet but plan to :)

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I was interested in a BT mouse until I found this review on the web, which kind of put me off.

For now I'm sticking to a tethered mouse.

I just wish Apple would come up with a "pro" mouse or somesuch with two buttons and scroll wheel of some form (maybe using the IPod interface for inspiration). It pains me having to use a Microsoft mouse with my PB.

Vanilla

14. Bhennies macrumors 6502

yuk. I hope not. Have you seen their corded silver one?...pretty ugly in my opinion- not a nice finish.