Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnelsongb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Apples pricing is outrageous and rediculous! No one and I mean No one will buy what they have to offer now! I've been a mac freak for years now.. I've got $1550 cool ones in my pocket from my dual 450. And the low end G4 800 MHZ starts at $1,599. FORGET IT! Excuse me if my comments are not kosher with the rest of you but really, the low end doesnt even have a fricken DVD Rom. just a rediculous cdrw and only 40GB Hd.

And they want almost $4,000 for their highest ULTIMATE machine. Sorry, Im thinking of changing over to the Dark Side. It was just over a year ago, when I spent close to $4,000 and boy was I a dummy. In just a year it went down to 1/3 of the original price. I know computers are not an investment. But hey I bought my Saturn for $2000 more than the last computer. I think Apple is straightening out my priorities. Guess Im not young, and dumb and full of cash for Apple.

Apple, this is not the time to come out with a $4,000 machine. Kudos to you on your imacs, they are stupendous and fabulous! For the same price as the midrange imac you get more then the low end 800MHz entry G4 tower.

Sorry Apple -- Ciao for now! :(

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
the imac is your consumer machine... the powermac is your professional machine.

they're right on par with wintel pricing for those two markets, in my opinion. we can debate this forever but they've just dropped their prices on the powermacs, and you're complaining... :confused:...

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sorry you feel that way... They just dropped the prices, and those are great prices.

Quality. Buy a PeeCee and have fun repairing it. I would say you pay for what you get when you buy Apple, but if we truely were paying for what we got, it'd be thousands more.

Apple is the BMW of computers (i like BMWs better than Benz) They cost a little more.. Sorry to tell ya

dmf122

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Computers get updated very fast, today you are usually likely to loose that money if you are buying something in the computer world.:confused:

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Exactly.. Just cuz not every Joe Sweatsock can afford a computer that is too much power for just checking email and playing Mp3s, doesnt mean you should diss on Apple's proline... Most professionals find this price reasonable, especially if you go to Dells website where they "start at $1199" but you get the basics, add a superdrive, kick ass monitor, a bunch of ram, a big enough hard drive, a great graphics card (oh the list goes on) and you'll get about what a new mac (top of the line) will cost.. but then you get to pay for all the repairs... The towers are proline, not consumer... compare peecee consumer computers to the iMac (which is also reasonably priced,) not the towers...

sorry for being a jerk in this post, but it's been a looooooong day, and im thrilled with the new price cuts

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
pricing

you got 1500 for your old computer and you complain you have to spend
a couple hundred more to get a new one? Are you going to refund a few hun to the poor guy who bought your old one? Would you call them up and offer to take it back? I can understand being choked about the huge drop in prices over the year, (my brother bought a 733 last spring, check the educ thread for the current price for that one. Ouch)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Apple has been great about their pricing over the past few years. What ends up happening, is they increase the performance/speed of the system, but keep the price the same. If you bother to keep up with Apple, then you know that the top of the line/kick a$$ versions will not be cheap. That is also why they offer three different speeds, and allow you to customize it to what you need.

Since you got the $1550 for your old computer, why don't you take a few more and get a brand new Mac?? Your dual 450 was how old?? I would bet good money that either of the non-dual processor systems would exceed the spec's of that.

Also, if you look at the Apple store page for the G4, you will see that you can get the G4 1GHz DUAL processor for just under $3000. Since you are crying poor, save the money and get the extra RAM and hard drives later. I am sure that eventually the 80GB drives will be reduced to the prices you see the 20GB drives for. Just look back a couple of years and see how the prices have changed for those drives.

davenuxx

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Los Angeles
Boo Hoo Woe is you...

Please. I paid $1599 for the Yikes! G4 w/a 400mhz processor and could only sell it for $1000 only to purchase the current G3 Powerbook Lombard. Am I complaining? No. $1599 now for a G4 w/a 800mhz processor/and ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card and a CD/RW is totally worth the price. Yesterday you only got a 733 for $1699.

Cheers...

:confused:

BillGates

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Minnesota
They are so inexpensive now I think I'll buy two just for the hell of it.

_________

Dual 1Ghz, Ultra 160 Array, 1.5GB RAM

700Mhz G4 iMac

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I think I paid about $3500 for my G4 500, and less then a month later they came out with the dual 500. Did I complain?? No. Granted, I wished that I had waited, but it was a learning experience. Now, I wait to hear what gets released at the expo's and at Seybold before I make a purchase.

For what you pay, with a Mac system, you get a great computer.

One other thing... how many other computer companies are innovating and coming out with new product lines in this economy??? How many of them are laying off thousands of people??? While Apple is both innovating and not laying off people by the thousands.

dnelsongb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Green Bay, Wisconsin
It's easy to get a rise out of mac lovers!!

Originally posted by BillGates
They are so inexpensive now I think I'll buy two just for the hell of it.

_________

Dual 1Ghz, Ultra 160 Array, 1.5GB RAM

700Mhz G4 iMac

:D :D Sorry for the upset. I'm actually buying a Dual Gig machine, just wanted my mac cousins approval. LOL. Don't get so bent out of shape. But thanks for reading. Please don't kick me out of macrumors, I'm not a bad guy, really I'm not! A little mischeivious at times but not bad. :D :D

Okay Okay calm down the earth still spins and no ones falling off.

Love ya later Mad Macadamions

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
why do u act surprised?

Apple's pricing has pretty much been the same all along....

honestly.....their prices have slowly come down a bit over time....

u should feel so lucky! ha ha ha....

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have an idea why most Mac users don't mind spending what they do. For what you spend, you get an excellent system, from a company that listens. The value to dollar ratio is very high. How many other computer companies have people flocking to their retail doors, or web site to buy a system moments after it is announced???

If you want a cheap computer, get a peecee, if you want a great computer, buy an Apple.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
First, you can't compare cars to computers. When have they upgraded the roads so you need a more powerful car to drive them?

Also, macs retain their value quite well. I bought an iMac DV SE for 1399 over two years ago, and I sold it for 600 almost 3 weeks ago. I don' t know of any pc without upgrading that the same is true for.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
junkie

oh come on ... that was just outrage from a junkie ....

GO ... BUY A PC ... BE MY GUEST ....

anybody that spends time writing in these forums, is a mac fan or totally jealous or totally broke and jealous ... point ... good night:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.