oh my god, i want one

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macette, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

3. cubist macrumors 68020

And there's MacSense's HomePod, too. Looks like there are plenty of products in this segment.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

For the price, you almost might as well get a Tivo (once it supports AAC files).

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Does this work over 802.11? Or do I still have to plug some cord into my 'book? I want wireless AV straight from my laptop to my home theater!

6. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

wow i was impressed with the original SLiMP3.... 802.11? <neo>woah</neo>

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

...if ever. I signed up for Tivo's Home Media Option several months ago when reports were that AAC support was 'just around the corner.' As of today, Tivo has no timeline for when (or if) it will support AAC. I still love it for mp3 streaming, but I'd like to re-rip my collection into AAC.

8. frank5050 macrumors member

It was just announced yesterday and isn't shipping yet.

I have the previous version (SliMP3) which lacks built-in 802.11b and digital outs but I simply use a Linksys WET11 ethernet bridge to connect to my WLAN.

Their server software integrates very well with iTunes. This is what I think is one of the main advantages of the products from Slim Devices (as opposed to Audiotron and some others), you don't have to load up another program to discover and catalog all your files. You simply load the Slimserver software and it keeps up with your iTunes library.

I'm curious about the MacSense homepod device (Gloo labs powered?). I don't believe it's a shipping product yet so it's hard to evaluate. The Slim Devices products are getting more mature all the time.

Will be interesting to see where this product segment goes in the future. And yes, I wish I could stream MP3's to my DirecTivo (stand-alone Tivo's work now) but I got tired of waiting for this support to emerge.

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

my brother has 4 audiotrons. they are pretty cool and all, but i'd rather have something rendezvous enabled. it makes it much easier. other than that, its nice :)

10. 3-22 macrumors regular

Expensive...

Seems kinda pricey for just audio.. I was looking at maybe getting the Mad Catz GameShark Media Player for my PS2. You'll need a PS2 network adapter and a wireless PS2 remote would make it more convenient. Anyone try it yet? No AAC suppport...

http://www.gameshark.com/playstation2/articles/436532p1.html

The GameShark Media Player features:
    - Works on Windows, OSX, and Linux.

- Playback capability of video formats: MPEG-1, 2 & 4, DivX 3.X, 4.X and 5.X video, and others

- Playback capability of music formats: MP3 and OGG

- Viewing of standard digital photography formats: JPEG and PNG

- Support for 16:9 display ratio and progressive scan (480p)output (with a HDTV and component cabling)

- Easy to use auto-configuration network setup

- Full trick-play functionality (VCR functions, such as fast-forward, rewind, pause, stop and play)

- Support for video resolutions: up to720x320 (letterbox and 512X384 (4:3)

- Parental or access controls

- Multi-server, multi-client support

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yeah... its a nice thing but I dont think i'd spent 299.99 My stereo system is 2 meters away from my G5 and i can just buy a wire (which i have from radioshack $4.99) and just wire it...

12. mcl macrumors regular

Re: oh my god, i want one

It's not available yet. But I'm one of the original developers for the server code (wrote the Live365 streaming code for it).

I highly recommend the SliMP3. Works beautifully (and I've been using my beta unit wirelessly since I got it, via a switch and a wireless bridge).

Sean's a good guy, and this new product should be just as robust and desireable as the current SliMP3.

13. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: oh my god, i want one

Hi there! When it says "SlimServer 5.0 can convert other file formats to MP3 on the fly", does this mean a loss of quality? How does it go with high bitrate files?

I'm really, really tempted by this thing.

14. g808 macrumors regular

15. mcl macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: oh my god, i want one

No loss of quality, unless you're converting to a more lossy format from a less-lossy format.

It does just fine with low and high-bitrate files, though of course the processing, being server-side, will depend on the processor you throw at it.

16. mcl macrumors regular

Not unless the Linksys Wireless Media adapter runs open-source server code, an open network protocol, and is the successor to the SliMP3.

This device, and the SliMP3, are simply devices that connect to two things: your network, and your stereo. The server code's mostly Perl, and runs on most every platform (OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Windows NT/XP/2k). If the machine running the server code can access the MP3s you want to play, then the SliMP3 can play them.

The server code also streams from various Internet streaming sources, and feeds the stream to the device for output to your stereo.