Oh No! Dell makes a Mini MP3 Player- like iPod mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by EJBasile, Oct 31, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was looking around at dells website and saw that they came out with a 5GB music player. Its $1999 and hold 2,500 songs. Just wanted to point this out

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

$1999?
    A bargain.

Without seeing it, I want one...

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's been out for a while, note the 2500 song thing is bull s**t because thats at 64Kbps which sounds like a dieing cat playing a violin.

yet again dell proves that they bring "original" ideas to the market.

plus the mini dell is only a tiney bit smaller than the normal ipod

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

They could say 3000 song, just take the average song to 3.5 min :rolleyes:, what's up with D*ll marketing department?

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

they are called "liars" and the best liars dont lie they omit certain truths, the battery life is also a lie as it go's up the lower the bit rate the less the Hd has to be used it can store more songs in the flash part.

thats why my ipod battery life is sort the audiophile inside me wont put up with anything less than 256kbps aac, and apple lossless for the good stuff

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Say hello to iPod killer #3985-B. In a month it will be called "Failed iPod Killer #3985-B"

Dell can't get anything right, really. Unless they steal it.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, good for them - something like that only makes the appeal for the mimi iPod all the more powerful. Dell's not stupid, they know they need to get in the game with what ever someone else dreams up - they'll just never capture what Apple has done, just play catch-up.

D

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i also dislike dell, i can't think of an original idea hat they've come up with ever! (i don't know everything that they've ever done but you get the picture) They just seem to wait til something big gets announced by someone like apple or sony or someone that sparks some interest and just copy it or make their own version of it. They wait til its popular and sucker people into buying their own version of it by doing crappy special offers all the time like buy a new dimension pc and get $50 of the dell dj thing. I know thats how they make money but it just seems totally unoriginal.

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Every chance I get I tell people to not buy anything from dell :)

Today it was my father-in-law.

11. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

you truely are a good person! :D lol

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But who said they had to be original? Not everyone is going to try and re-invent things like Sony and Apple and that's fine. This just puts more pressure on Apple to make something even better :D

D

14. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I looked for that album on iTunes... "Dying Cats Playing the Violin" always put out great dance music.

15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I personally think everything Dell makes is crap. :D

16. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Although I agree that Dell's attempts at MP3 players are, too put it nicely, derivative, I hope Apple isn't resting on their laurels too much. Dell has HUGE market saturation, and there are a lot of people who, for better or for worse, actually trust Dell. So if they actually luck out and make an MP3 player that's significantly cheaper, roomier, more stylish, etc. than the iPod, it has a chance to be very successful. Like I said, I'm not worried about it happening any time soon, but I would feel more comfortable if Apple had updated the iPod mini (either the actual player or just the price) sometime since its arrival.

17. thecow macrumors 6502

Have you ever even used the Dell DJ thing? My friend got one for $150. It costs half of that the iPod costs and it isn't that bad. It is fairly easy to use and the audio quality is better than the iPod. We did a blind test with the same song at high volume and the DJ sounded much better. It also has a full EQ, not just presets. For the price, it is a very good player.

18. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

$150 is a pretty good deal considering they are currently running $199 for the 5GB and $299 for the 20GB on Dell's site. Both models retail for $50 less than their Apple counterparts. And for that extra 50 bones you get the UI and the "Ives Factor" and some street cred if that is your thing.

I can assure everyone that they'll have a photo DJ out by Xmas. They are literally slapping it together as I type and the 60GB version will cost $50-$100 less and they'll sell quite a few.