OH NO! FF III for DS & New Super Mario Bros is making me want a DS Lite!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chrispy, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I never thought the DS would appeal to me... and it didn't for a long time. Now with the DS Lite and FFIII on the horizon, I find myself really thinking about getting one! The new mario game has been getting great marks as well so that is tempting. Is anyone else in this position. Normally I don't really care for handheld systems but this really appeals to me. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and ended up very happy with their DS Lite? It is sure calling to me.

2. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yup, I got a DS Lite for NSMB and the upcoming Opera internet browser and ended up with 8 games! It is a great system. The New Zelda game looks promising too. I have most of the top games for DS now and my favorites are the off-beat Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center when I'm not kicking butt online on Metroid Prime or Mario Kart...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't had a handheld since the original GameBoy, but with the DS Lite and a few titles that i knew that i would love and enjoy i went ahead and got one. its wonderful for picking up and just playing for a little bit without having to get grossly involved.

the games that i got were Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros., Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario Kart, and Brain Age.

id say if you can get into a store to give one a try and make sure you'll be happy with it then go for it. i have no regrets.

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hehe, got myself a DS lite two days ago just to play the new Mario game and I love it!

5. sturigdson macrumors regular

You know what? my experience is just like ddreuckhammer's- got it for NSMB [wasn't disappointed, tho i beat it and haven't been spending much time with it of late] and ended up racking up 7 games. Now I'm enveloped in Castelvania DoS, Tetris, and AC. plus checking my brain age daily, and blahblahblah. It's the perfect little device for my train commute. Haven't had a portable since the original Game Boy, haven't been interested, but with this thing, I'm having a blast.

And ya, the problem for me is that there are tons of games that are coming out that have my eye, FFIII included.

Good luck with your choice, mate. But i expect to see you back here soon with your new DS ; )

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have the original DS - didn't really play it for nearly a year. Then all these cool games started coming out (I got five in one week) and now I REALLY want a DS Lite but none of the stores around have one.

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its an awesome machine the games are so fun and they do not require you to spend ages playing in order to get the most out of them they can be picked up for 20 minutes here and there, this is where the ability to sleep the DS lite comes in handy you can just shut the lid and leave it, then resume later from exactly where you set off.....

Its amazing how the DS lite has become my primary gaming system, its even making me consider eBaying my 360 as I don't spend much time on it anymore....

ShadOW

8. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Haha. MR made me buy a DS lite also. As a matter of fact, i just got new super mario bros. last night. VERY fun. Although i was a little pissed because i thought the game auto-saved, so after world 1-4, i turned the DS off, then later i came back and it was gone! But i looked it up, and you have to go through the castle to save. Dum me.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't suppose I have an opinion here. I've always preferred handhelds over consoles (though I don't do that much travelling). I just like the handheld game mentality better, usually little addictive games that refuse to let you go (Tetris, Nanostray, Kirby, Bomberman) and the games that value gameplay over graphics (Animal Crossing, Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart, Advance Wars).

Handhelds are where the pure gameplay is at. or at least there are more innovative and inventive games there than on consoles.

and I can't wait for FF3 :) Just been playing FF1 and 2 ports on the GBA. I've never played these games before and they're just incredible.

10. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have played almost all FF games and I LOVE them!

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't really played any of them until the GBA ones came out. I dabbled a little in 7 but didn't see the attraction. Slowly making my way up through the series now.
    So what are FF3-6 all about? are they just SNES updates of 1-3?

12. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

FF VI is a great game as is FF VII if you really get into it.

13. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

The DS is a great system! You should definitely pick up a Lite. I can't wait for Final Fantasy III or Star Fox Command...

14. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I just ordered a DS Lite and NSMB. I should have it by the end of the week :D

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Congrats! :)

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

wow i haven't seen tis trailer yet...

18. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

That was new for me as well. That game looks like it is going to be amazing. I can't wait!

19. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah but I can't wait for Zelda even more...

20. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

FF3 was never released in the US... FF4 was SNES's FF2, and FF6 was SNES's FF3. (FF5 was released on the Playstation as part of an anthology)

Very confusing, yes.

21. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

There was a Zelda game on GBA that I never played that came out a few years ago.... kinda modled after windwaker a little if I remember. Was that one any good?

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Minish Cap? It was very good but far from the top of my list of favorite Zelda games.

Here is my list of favorite Zelda games. (Most people would probably put OOT in the first spot)

1- Link to the Past (SNES, GBA)
    2 - Ocarina of Time (N64, Gamecube)
    3 - Link's Awakening (GB)
    4 - Majora's Mask (N64)
    5 - Windwaker (Gamecube)
    6 - Four Swords (GBA)
    7 - The Legend of Zelda (NES)
    8 - Minish Cap (GBA)
    827 - Zelda 2 (NES)

I can't wait for Phantom hourglass :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really enjoyed it. Still trying to complete it, still after all the sword techniques and hearts etc. but I'm up to the final boss on the main story. Very fun game, one of the few modern games I'd play through again.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hopefully in another week or two I should have a few bucks saved up for a DS lite + NSMB + Sudoku: Gridmaster.

If not, I'm gonna start a thread here entitled: "All these DS Lite Threads on MR have caused me to want a DS Lite." Though, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels that way.

It should be called the MRDSLite effect.

25. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Add me a to the list of people who just got a DS Lite, I was contemplating a PSP but when I actually looked at the games it was an obvious choice to go with the DS, the new Mario game and I'm actually kind of shocked how fun Brain Age is...but that could be my inner geek speaking :D