Oh no! Heeeelp :P

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by OnoSendai, Feb 3, 2003.

1. OnoSendai macrumors newbie

My headphone jack has broken off in my Powerbook G4...I called Apple and they said it would be a grand to fix. Something about the logic board.....why can't it just be yanked out? :D Anyway....anyone else been stuck in the same situation? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Thanks!

-Cliff

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You could get a USB audio interface and listen to music through that instead... does the jack still work? You could break out the hot glue gun, or you could open up the PowerBook and re-solder the 2 wires that may have been broken off (if an entire portion of the board didn't break off).

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I don't get it. Did the port itself come off (like the hole moves around, or is crooked) or did the plug end of a pair of headphones get stuck and then snap off inside? if it's the former, yeah, you can try resoldering them, but be careful. It's part of the logic board, which is the board that contains everything in your system-- it's like it's central nervous system.

If it's the latter, it could probably be extracted. Sometimes the jacks (female end) have an opening at the other end, you could push something in to get it out (obviously you'd have to take your computer apart first)...

you might consider finding a local computer repair service, see if they can do one of these things for you cheaper than $1000-- just make sure they're bonded for work they do, you don't wanna lose the whole system!

pnw

4. OnoSendai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help guys! That iMic looks nifty :D

-Cliff

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, this is why we need Bluetooth stereo headphones ASAP. I cracked the headphone jack on my iBook but thankfully it's still usable. As soon as someone comes out with Bluetooth headphones I'm going to get one, though...