Oh No! I apparently need glasses

Discussion in 'Community' started by CompUser, Sep 25, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

My eye doctor says I need glasses. Mostly for long distance things such as driving and sports (but obviously you can't play sports with glasses on).

What kind of glasses do you buy- shape wise. I don't think I would look very good with glasses.

All my friends are going to laugh if I EVER where glasses.

Do you have to get glasses or can you get contacts right away?

Here a pic of me. I'm going to look really wierd with them.

Yea thats my really bad yearbook picture.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glasses are no big deal. i've had them for years, contacts too. usually your doctor will make you wear glasses for a bit before you can get contacts. its not the end of the world, better than having no vision trust me.

i just ordered new contacts myself, i'm getting black rectangular frames myself, but i will have contacts too.

dont worry about it, look for frames that you like, try as many pairs on as you can to see what fits you the best.

3. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Your optomitrist can advise

Your optician will have hundreds of empty frames for you to try. It's easy to get a pair that suit you. You're able to get light sensitive lenses too, so that saves on sunglasses. It'll only take a week to get used to distance glasses, but if you need bi focals, it can take longer.

The police down here wouldn't let me drive without glasses so it was a no option for me. I have tinting lenses so away went my zeiss sunnies. My only regret is I should have got seperate specs for distance and reading. I find the bi focals a pain in the ar*e.

Shave your head at the same time and make a real fashion statement. Yes, I do have a shaven head and a pointy beard and ears that stick out. Good for hanging glasses from.
    Grey Beard

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

LMAO mad jew! That was funny!

There are a lot of stylish glasses for men...my friend got some recently...I don't know the brand but they made him look hotter! Take a friend with you and try them on one by one...that is what I do with sunglasses to make sure they look good on me! :)

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

way to scare him away mad jew hahaha. I wear glasses and girls like them a lot to be honest...its all about getting the right pairs. My advice is go to a store like For Eyes or w/e and have them help you pick something out. The workers there have amazing abilities to see which frames will work, sizes, shapes, colors, everything. And trust what they say, its difficult to see what you look like with the trials on until you really get the actual prescription.

edit: macartistkel, you beat me to the hotter with them comment... ;)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had glasses, they were always in my way so I got contacts. Then the contacts caused other issues and they were a pain when I wanted to jump in the ocean off my boat so I got lasik 11-19-04. :) It is the best $4000 I have ever spent.....I could have bought a kick ass mac setup, but lasik was well worth it, even over a new mac!

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was told not to get Lasic till you are over 25 because your eyes change shape as you age and you'll be wasting your money.

I went straight to contacts, I only wear glasses at home. I've felt very comfortable with contacts since day one, they don't bother me at all. I dove for 5 years in contacts, so I've gotten good at keeping them in my eyes. I also played basketball for 2 years with contacts. So, contacts work well in sports. I recommend getting the one month replacable contacts. If you lose yearliesm, or if they get scratched or rip, it is a pain in the ass (and the wallet) to get them replaced. Weeklies and Daylies seem like overkill to me. And you can wear the one month lenses for two months or longer. I've been wearing my current lenses for at least 2 months now.

I really like the frameless glasses, which are just the clear lenses with the side things mounted on. They aren't very visible when looked at, and there aren't any frames to distract you as you look out.

_Emerson

9. CompUser thread starter Guest

My mom is a pediatrician. She says lasik is too dangerous because 10% fail, there are side effects, you have to be 18, and it get make your vision worse when your older.

I have no idea what style to buy. I should take a bunch of friends with me haha. That way they can't make fun of me because they helped pick them out. :D :D

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mine are frameless (except for [titanium] earpieces and nose bridge, obviously...), small oval lenses. They are hardly noticeable. i recommend them!

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't know if you can deal with contacts, but I got some soft contacts and I love 'em! I can't feel them at all, and you don't have to worry about the "zomg! What frames do I want!" deal. Then, you just get a cheap pair for wearing when your contacts are being wonky/right after you wake up/go to sleep.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I got my first pair when I was in the fifth grade. Have worn glasses ever since. I wouldn't look right without them. Never really considered contacts because of the expense and problems. Even more so with lasik. I'm a nurse and agree with your Mom. I wish you luck with your decision. You will be amazed at how well you will be able to see. Sometimes I think that the other kids are jealous and that is why they may say four eye's. To me seeing is very important.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice glasses mad jew.
    Not so sure that those are the ones that he is looking for... ;) :)

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Actually, I think that first pair is calling my name, in sunglasses form...

Off to eBay! I need big ugly glasses! :)

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I like my glasses alot.

I originally had glasses that looked like the ones Bill gates wore in the late 80's early 90's. Then I went to contacts for a few years. Enjoyed wearing them for a while. In 2002 my stepmother and I decided to get some new glasses as backups to our contacts. I have grown to liking my pair of glasses now and most people say that I look great with them on. So, after a long story made every so slightly short I now no longer wear contacts and am currently wearing glasses.

On the subject of laztik, I always ask the eye doctors about it. They have said that I should wait until I was older and my eyesight stabilized.

16. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Oooh, neato! Those are Super!!!!

I love the third pair from the top! Awesome!

I need a new pair and those frames are killer. As a scientist, they'd look great at work!

I wonder what my wife would think of those?
    :D

They remind me of Christopher Walken in 'Blast from the past'.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, in that case, happing bidding! ;) :)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nobody really looks good in glasses, as far as I'm concerned. I've been wearing glasses for about 30 years now and I'm plenty sick of them. Just wait until you need bifocals! I'm seriously considering LASIK for myself.

If you're on your first pair, allow me to suggest getting a light-weight frame. Not only will they be less obtrusive, they will have less of a tendency to make marks on the bridge of your nose. Or contacts, if you can stand the idea of shoving your fingers into your eyes every day.

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Well, you get used to it. :p

You aren't SHOVING your fingers in, you're placing a bit of plastic.

You're leaving a foreign object in there, not temporarily shoving one (your finger) in it.

;)

20. wongulous macrumors 6502a

You'll look fine with glasses. Since you have a long, slightly angular face, I'd recommend against rounded frames. I suggest squared-off, laterally-elongated frames with a squarish shape to them, and possibly thick sides. Plastic or aluminum. Don't do a wiry frame. You'd actually look even hotter with them--and a good frame choice will show everyone you meet how fashion-savvy you are.

And get contacts for the days when you want to look au naturale. They're not hard to deal with at all and give you great confidence plus full range of vision. A few more bucks a month in cleaning/saline solution (or as I call it, Celine solution), 20 minutes in the doctor's office practicing taking them in and out with a helper, and you'll be fine. You can even get the cool colored ones.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think glasses can be very sexy...

Mm... Rivers Cuomo! And now y'all will hate me, but I honestly did like the second and third pairs of glasses that mad jew picked out. I guess I could see how it might be embarrassing to be the first in a group of friends to need glasses, but it's not that big of a deal and well, read my post title again... I honestly do think that some people look better in glasses. :eek:

22. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Go get some Oakley's!!!

Yes you can get most Oakley's Sun/Glasses in perscriptions if you want to... the cool thing is if you get prescription you can customize a lot more than you could without the perscription...

Contacts are fine and dandy...

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not as bad as when you call friends by the wrong name, or get hit in the face by balls/frisbees/flying food objects you didn't see coming, or puke all the time from eyestrain (all true...)

Take some trusted friend(s) along to choose glasses -- you CAN'T judge for your self in the mirror - esp. if your eyes are as bad as mine.

Start collecting photos from magazines of people you think look good in their glasses. Compare their faces to yours and get a feel for what you like. Some people successfully use glasses as a statement -- Lisa Loeb, now, nothin' wrong with how she looks in glasses. Nope. Nosirree.

Most sports are fine with glasses. Contact sports you can get wraparound sports glasses with lexan type frames.

24. aplasticspork macrumors regular

I actually got contacts before i got glasses. I got hard lenses, and since they change the shape of your pupil slightly it's better to get glasses after so that they don't need to be changed later. in regard to contacts though:
    soft lenses are more comfortable and easier to get used to.
    hard lenses take longer to get used to, but prevent your eyes from getting worse as fast.
    so with soft lenses you'll need to get new ones more often. i went with hard for that reason. good luck :)
    --andrzej

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That all depends on the shape of your face – your optician will be able to advise you on frames that suit you the best. There's a basic guide here that should answer a few of your questions about what would suit you. :cool: