OH NO I forgot to Eject external HD from Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillMak, Nov 17, 2006.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I turned off my external HD from my macbook earlier without remembering to eject it first! How bad is the damage? I ran disk utility on the external and A lot of errors and red flags came up. Disc utility was basically telling me it was ill. However, All my files (the ones I checked at least) seem to be ok so far. Is there anyway to repair the damage? I ran "repair" on disc utility but it seemed like it was taking forever and not doing anything... :( :( :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Repairing it will take quite a while. Definitely repair it! If nothing was being written to the drive at the time, you'll probably be absolutely fine. Was it in use (file transfers)? :)

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope the drive wasn't in use at all. I tried to repair it but it kept on staying at "look for file for corrupt" or something," it was still in progress and the drive was making all sorts of noises so I'm guessing it was still active...I dunno. Maybe leaving it on for a whiole day to repair might work aye?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It shouldn't take a whole day, but maybe give it a go. Do you have any other drive repairing apps like Tech Tools or Disk Warrior or something? :)

5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

never even head of them. Are they better than OS X's Disc Utility?

6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i did that so many times without a problem, ecpecially if the drive was idle and you were not writing to it, i don't thnk it's as bad as you seem to think. anyway what are the errors that come up when runnig disk utility?

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Don't worry, nothing will happen, especially if the disk was inactive;)

I've done it many times, even when the disk was in use, and nothing happened;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. I don't think this is related to your unplugging of the drive, but something's wrong all the same. :(

DiskWarrior
    TechTool Pro