OH NO! I just got a new MBP, transferred all my data from my PB, and it wont work!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiikeMike, May 19, 2006.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

So....... I have a PowerBook G4, and just got a MBP 2.16/gig/100 gig 7200rpm, did the firewire transfer, started up my MBP and everything looked fine. It looks just like my PB.

Then.......... As things start to boot up, I get an error message from Little Snitch that its corrupted, and to download the new version. As soon as I click OK, a black curtain comes down, and says "You need to Restart your computer"

Restart, same deal. Any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance!

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I have no idea what "little snitch" is, but can you un-install and re-install it?

Question 2. Is "little snitch" a PPC only program? It would give you that error if it was.

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Little snitch is a plug in on a PPC machine that tells you if somthing is trying to connect to the internet. I don't know if there is an Intel version, but the problem is, I can't uninstall it, because I can't boot the computer and keep it up!

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If you can't boot the computer.. I would say put your CD's in and just do erase and install (not archive and install), and then start over. It's brand new anyway. That will give you a clean slate, and then just erase that program from your powerbook before moving everything over.

Little Snitch won't work on your MBP (unless there's a Universal Binary version, or a plain old Intel version for Mac).

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Isn't there a way to start up without the startup items running? Like holding down Shift in Windows as it starts up? Then he could uninstall the program and reboot.

6. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

do you get an error message in multiple languages that says to restart your system...and the whole screen is darkened with the text in white? if so thats a kernal panic. a little uncommon but is usually fixable...i just dont know how :D

did you install third party ram? it could be that the ram needs to be reseated or is all together bad. maybe take out any third party ram and try again. you can also test the system with the original disks.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually yes.

Hold the Shift key during boot (aka Safe Mode) -- it'll take awhile, up to 10 min.

Then take the stuff out of the startup menu.

8. Arnel macrumors member

I had exactly the same problem when I transferred my stuff to my new MBP from my old machine. Luckily, the fix is easy:

The kernel panic only happens AFTER you clear the dialog that says there was a problem with Little Snitch. You can leave the dialog on the screen and wait for the machine to finish booting, then go in and disable the app - just delete it from the /Library/PreferencePanes/ directory. Then you can click on the dialog and cause the kernel panic, but Little Snitch has been deleted so you'll be fine when you boot up next time round.

Then go to http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html and grab the latest version - it works fine!

Neil.
    a.k.a. Arnel

9. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Sweet, I'll try that in a few. Thanks!

10. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike