oh no! made a new 'keychain' now im scared!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 808, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 808 macrumors member

i think all i was doing was installing the latest itunes, then it asked if i wanted to make a new 'keychain' since it couldn't locate it on safari...not really sure what that means...

so i did it, and immediately all of my bookmarks disappeared to what seemed to be a default....apple. amazon. yahoo. news

i opened a program...ableton live 5, and it asked to reenter the serial, as if i just bought the program again...

now im scared to see what other changes i've made...

is there a way to go back to the old settings...before i made a new keychain...

im going to leave the powerbook now, and hope that when i return, there will be an answer...

oh please, oh please!!

2. 808 thread starter macrumors member

ok now,,,

im really scared...

i reset my pb, and it appears as if all data is gone, all stickies, ical, all documents saved on desktop, all files in folders on desktop..

im hoping someone out there can help...

before i lose it

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hm that's really confusing. Are there any other details you can remember? There is a program called Keychain Access but I've never heard of the system asking you to make a new keychain.

4. 808 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the response...

all i remember was that i was openning up a .aif file from my 'library' and when itunes was openning up, it said that the keychain couldn't open safari...or something like that.

then it asked if i wanted to create a new keychain,,,

after saying yes...then the nightmare began...

now it seems like i've lost all my current work..everything!! although there was no loss in HDD space...still the same as before...

i just came from windows,,,is there anything like a system restore, that i can use...

i'm almost at tears,,,but im hoping someone has an answer for me.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

There is no system restore option, but did you by chance recently turn on FileVault?

6. 808 thread starter macrumors member

ok some relief....

i found all my old stuff... it was in the 'users' folder, under the name which i gave my 'home'

:eek:

it seems like i just made a new 'id' or 'account' of somekind...

now how do reset it to the old one....

7. 808 thread starter macrumors member

im not sure...how do i find out...please see my last post, it appears that i didn't erase any data, just somehow created a new user...but would still like to revert...

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Okay that's what I suspected. No worries. You can change accounts in the Accounts pane of System Preferences, or just log out in the Apple menu and go back to your "old" user account.

9. 808 thread starter macrumors member

i went to 'accounts' in 'system preferences' but there was only 1 account...

hmmm.
    not really sure what to do, although im just really thankful that i didn't lose any data...

maybe i didn't create a new account, but what else could've happened? and still how can i revert...

btw...thank you so much for the speed in which you all have tried to help, i really appreciate it

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Whatever you do, back up your data. And don't press anything without knowing what it does. :)